Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone know anything about these Specialized Fast Trak LK Pro tires?

Had a small write-up in the latest MBA I just got in the mail...

2.0 size - MBA says they weigh a pound even. I've scanned the pic here - Looks like some decent tread for a 1lb tire!

MBA gave it 5 stars and loved it - only problem is I can't seem to find it on Spec's site, or anywhere else for that matter...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    supposedly a low knob version of the Fast Trak tires... tats about it. The regular Fast Traks work amazing for me... huge air volume, great handling, have stayed seated using stans for over a year!!! Actually and I like my worn down pair better than when new, so maybe these low knob ones are good.

locked - time out
    MBA will give a good review to any company that runs ad's in their rag..IMO
    ("You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.")

Jake's

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pay Here
    MBA will give a good review to any company that runs ad's in their rag..IMO
    ("You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.")

Jake's
    true, but that's not to say they're bad tires...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    unsolicited? wait didnt this guy ask about the tire? I would define that as soliciting.

My point about MBA is that even though yes they are a BS magazine and write good reviews for whoever pays them.... just because they write a GOOD review of a product, doesnt mean its a bad product.

mtbr member
    Fellas, fellas! Go easy, we're all friends here...

I guess I'll grab these when I find some for sale, and write a good old unbiased review one way or the other...

Anyone know where they are for sale?

locked - time out
    I have'nt seen Specialized tires on the web sites on a regular bases..Might try your LBS..
    Or maybe Specialized has their own on-line store..

Jake..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pay Here
    I have'nt seen Specialized tires on the web sites on a regular bases..Might try your LBS..
    Or maybe Specialized has their own on-line store..

Jake..
    Thanks for the input - They do indeed have their own online store, however, the new LK's aren't listed anywhere on the site, including the store...that's why I was asking if anyone knew anything...I'll check with LBS and see when they'll be available I guess...

locked - time out
    Good luck, and dont forget a review on weight and performance..

Jake..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I bought mine through the LBS

I have used these tires all year. Out of the tires I have used they are the best all rounder Tire and despite the s-works version they have seemed to last a decent amount of time.

I use stans sealant with the tires as I am not a fan of Tubless tires.

The traction is good, rolling resistance is good. Definetly a decent buy for a tire.

In Addition - These tires survived a trip to the desert for two weeks. Went to Pheonix and did riding out there sand burs no problem. Even had some crazy downhills with tons of rocks. No issue at all. Not one flat. No ripped knobs either.

Tire1.jpg

Tire2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracker
    I have used these tires all year. Out of the tires I have used they are the best all rounder Tire and despite the s-works version they have seemed to last a decent amount of time.

I use stans sealant with the tires as I am not a fan of Tubless tires.

The traction is good, rolling resistance is good. Definetly a decent buy for a tire.

In Addition - These tires survived a trip to the desert for two weeks. Went to Pheonix and did riding out there sand burs no problem. Even had some crazy downhills with tons of rocks. No issue at all. Not one flat. No ripped knobs either.
    Ah, great! Thanks for the feedback...

One thing: Did you weigh yours?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes, but it was a while back

If I remember correctly both were a tad over 500. I think they were 503 and 507 grams.
    They are a bit heavier that I expected but the treadlife has been great and overall an excellent tire.

Themost amazing thing has just been how weel they take a tubless sealent setup. I have 9 pairs of tires and these are by far the most trustworthy and easy to mount. Honestly just put in the latex and blow them up.

TIP: Specialized did have an issue with the first run of tires and the beads being off aligned. I only mentione this because you will have to return it. One of the two I bought had to be returned and I got a new one.

If you see a wabble in your tire it may not be alcohol in your blood.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    second that about the tubeless being easy with them. Are those the LK version of the fast traks or the regular ones?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Original

These are the orginal version not the LK. However they are the LK now as they have some miles on them. I have never seen the LK version.

Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    second that about the tubeless being easy with them. Are those the LK version of the fast traks or the regular ones?

ballbuster

Nice...

Quote Originally Posted by tracker
    If I remember correctly both were a tad over 500. I think they were 503 and 507 grams.
    500-ish grams isn't bad for an all arounder everyday tire. I hate to tell you what I've been running. Y'all would revoke my WW club card.

I'm afraid to take my Kenda Karmas out for daily riding, especially where I ride with the thorns and pointy rocks and all. I hate flats, and hate wearing out $45 tires that don't have a lot of tread on them to begin with.

Hey Ducky. You're having good luck with the Kenda Karmas running tubeless with Stans?
    I heard KKs were not compatable with the solution from a questional source. If you've been running them that way for a while, I'll give it a go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

i rode

the karmas with stans with no issues. they both weighed in the lower 420's

Whatever

How are the these Fast Trak's for loose over hardpack?

"Pea gravel" conditions like we have in Colorado front range. How are these Fast Trak's in those conditions?

I have liked the Resolution Pro (the early 2006 predecessor actually) as a front, and the FastTrack as a rear. Both set up with Stan's at between 29-33 psi.

Whatever

Sorry, meant Roll X's!

I have NOT used Fast Trak's. How are they compared to Roll X's as a rear, for climbing when you need traction but still want a fast tire?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

"pea body"'s

Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker
    "Pea gravel" conditions like we have in Colorado front range. How are these Fast Trak's in those conditions?

not down with those inhouse specialized componenets. there are faster tires with better
    traction, and lighter. kinda like their frames, there are cheaper, lighter and stiffer frames
    then what specy offers!

Whatever

Like what?

Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    not down with those inhouse specialized componenets. there are faster tires with better traction, and lighter. kinda like their frames, there are cheaper, lighter and stiffer frames then what specy offers!
    Probably a question for the Tires/Wheels forum...but the problem there is people chime in saying Kenda Karmas or Racing Ralphs etc are lower rolling resistance. True, on flat dirt trails. However, when you are climbing steep grades and it is loose, those tires are useless.

I'll ask there, but curious to see your thoughts...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just to throw out another reference, I used the RK (Regular Knob) Specialized Fast Track S works (UST) tires for a few months. They replacedmy UST Schwalbe Knobby Nics. I did the Firewater 50 (47 miles) ride this Saturday and put my Nobby Nics back on.

The Fast track is a great tire but second to my Schwalbes for rolling resistance and handling. THe Specialized cost me less but since when did that matter.

You can't go wrong with the Fast Track in my opinon.

MBA may be easy to buy but grab this issue and read about tire grooving. Very interesting article on how to cut tires to shed mud and roll faster.

And for the WW's it's removing rubber so it has to be lighter

mtbr member
    I have used both Roll X and FastTrak. I live in Michigan where the trails are loose and sandy. Lot of gravel. FastTrak worked great on the hardpack, but even a dusting of sand and they will washout on turns. I had a NASTY wipeout three weeks ago in a race. Unless you have HARDPACK trails I'd stay away.

Disclaimer: I do run tubes at 37PSI so maybe running tubless in them and lowering the PSI will help.

Roll X is the KING. Lightweight (reasonable) and these babies will rip thru corners and bite on climbs. When mine wore out I tried the Fasttrac and wish I never had.

I just put Kenda Nevgals (sp) on my bike. Haven't even brought them to the trail. The Kendas and Roll X seem to duke it out for best tire. It was a hard decision since I'm confident with the Roll X.

The S-Works line is great, but designed for professionals....who get them free every race. For the common folks, they are expensive and don't last long at all.

I have NO idea what the LK thing is.

Whatever
    Thanks. That's what some folks at my LBS said about the Fast Traks. I asked "why carry them" and they said they are popular because of marketing, reviews, etc. IMO that's a disservice to people in the Front Range!

I will probably continue on with the Roll X rear / Resolution Pro front combo. Since I run Stan's, I like the cheaper and lower TPI "pro" versions not the S-works. I think the higher TPI just folds a bit more without a tube, in heavy cornering.

I saw the MBA article, which is interesting for mud. But not for loose trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Fast track also works well on rocky terrain (Again I use UST for sidewall durability).

I have Roll X Pros on the SS and they a re a slug when it comes to rolling resistance and for southeast soil including some sand they gripped no better thn the Fasttrack, they just move slower.

I am not familiar with the resolution but have friends that like the Adrenaline. I won't buy another set o Roll X tires but will buy Fast tracks for my trail bike.

Whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    I am not familiar with the resolution but have friends that like the Adrenaline. I won't buy another set o Roll X tires but will buy Fast tracks for my trail bike.
    I have the Adrenaline. Can't find them anymore (on web or LBS) but Resolution looks to be the same, just renamed. They don't look like they'll climb well, but I'll give it a try. If not, it's a spare front!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast