mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Anyone here using the cane creek AER headset yet.

Just curious if anyone has been running the AER headset yet and how it has held up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i am interested in the same thing...

Cuánto pesa?
    I've got an AER headset on it's way, should be here by the middle (01/27/10) of next week

I will post up a photo break down of real world weights..

BTW, it's the AER ZS with a claimed weight of 50 grams (excluding spacers and preload assembly) and a stack height of 10.13 mm....

Testing will take a little longer for any fair comments on ride qualityand durability even longer..

mtbr member
    I made the early adopter leap and I am having problems after the first ride.

It felt loose when I got it back from my respected LBS, so on the trail I snugged it up. I adjusted it a bunch of times, but I could not find the happy medium between loose and tight.

Maybe its in my head, but I thought that it was so loose I could could feel it knock while riding my 29er with a Reba down hill. I don't remember the front end ever feeling loose before when I was running the stock FSA. It was a torrential down poor, so it was hard to do a good job at the adjustment. When it was too tight, it was so stiff that I could feel it hamper my steering.

I'm going to trouble shoot it right now and go to the LBS if that does not work.

Cuánto pesa?

Thanks for the heads up

I'll be doing my own installation...

mtbr member
    Update: I cleaned everything and pulled it apart and the special, ultra think Norglide top bearing is trashed after one ride. I'm going to the LBS to see what they say.

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    Update: I cleaned everything and pulled it apart and the special, ultra think Norglide top bearing is trashed after one ride. I'm going to the LBS to see what they say.
    Let's see a picture of what's trashed...

mtbr member
    The LBS says that I "should take my lumps" for trying to install a "road only" headset on a mountain bike, but they are going so see what cane creek wants to do. The LBS is going to put the old one back on, so no pics for now.

Basically, the Norglide bearing was galled to its core add parts of it were already broken off.

mtbr member
    Basically, the Norglide bearing was galled to its core add parts of it were already broken off.
    Ouch.. I was thinking about upgrading from Opium for those extra 20g on my weenie bike.. but I guess I will stick with CB Opium. I have a pair of those and one survived for me for a year under a 160mm beefy fork that was used as intended.. Serviced it recently - perfect shape...

Cuánto pesa?
    The LBS says that I "should take my lumps" for trying to install a "road only" headset on a mountain bike, but they are going so see what cane creek wants to do. The LBS is going to put the old one back on, so no pics for now.

You didn't really think that the LBS would take any responsibility for screwing it up
    when they pressed it in

I know it's a roadie headset but I'm gonna go for it anyway
    "The ultimate headset upgrade for road cyclists with an eye on weight. "
    I'm hoping (for my sake) it was screwed up by the shop..

ups and downs
    Even the manufacturer's bumpf says it will feel a bit sticky compared to a conventional headset, as the Norglide bearing has more stiction than a bearing, which on a road bike wouldn't be as big a deal since you don't have many requirements for turning sharply. Much like road bike bearing headsets that aren't well sealed from the elements, the Norglide bearing likely doesn't have great wear characteristics when it's dirty.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    The real reason that I bought the AER was the low stack height lowers my handle bars. My 15" size 29er puts the handle bars a lot higher than I desired even when I bought a road bike track stem with a huge drop, it was still a lot higher than my old 26er CX rig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Ouch.. I was thinking about upgrading from Opium for those extra 20g on my weenie bike.. but I guess I will stick with CB Opium. I have a pair of those and one survived for me for a year under a 160mm beefy fork that was used as intended.. Serviced it recently - perfect shape...
    The Crank Brothers Opium has a similar stack height: 20.6 mm vs the CC AER's 20.0 mm. I should of just got that one because it has real ball bearings top and bottom.

Is the Opium for a traditional 1 1/8" size head tube? Or one of the over sized ~44mm style?

Cuánto pesa?

I wish that Crank Bro's had a Zero Stack...My CB Opium been good to me so far

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Adding my experience - you have to be VERY careful when you place the top compression ring in. It will want to push the norglide ring off centre, which will trash it it a very short time, or put a kink in it (which is what happened to me). Ive put it in a few times to re-centre it and make sure its still running ok.

Weight was 50g even.

There will be/are spare norglide units available separately......I think even CC sees these as quick-wearing items.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"