Illuminati

We the people ... Any long term RF next carbon crank users?

I just picked up a pair of cranks. Given that the chainring spider tabs are replaceable, is it safe to use aluminium granny ring bolts over the stock steel bolts?
    Also are these cranks renown to have any problems?

info appreciated

UK Biker

No!

Only if you want to shear your granny ring off everytime you use it!

aka 'Grover'
    no problems using alloy bolts for the big/middle ring (i can't say for certain about the granny as i run 2x9 but it should be the same as all other cranks - not the greatest idea)

they're still one of the best cranksets ever made - only slight problem is an annoying creak from those removable tabs every so often, just make sure they're greased. if you're worried about it just get the turbine lp's - about 15-25 grams heavier, no replacable chainring tabs and no carbon stickers.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti
    they're still one of the best cranksets ever made -.
    How's that? Not exceptionally light. Not as stiff as a hollow structure crank. Expensive. The one good point is that they had to come out with that lifetime warrenty, because no one would buy them when they were only about 20g lighter than the turbines.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    You could save those 20 grams by removing those fake carbon fiber stickers they glued in there.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    How's that? Not exceptionally light. Not as stiff as a hollow structure crank. Expensive. The one good point is that they had to come out with that lifetime warrenty, because no one would buy them when they were only about 20g lighter than the turbines.

Actually, they are pretty light at 403 grams, and very stiff too. There are only a few cranksets that are lighter, and those are very expensive. The Turbines themselves were light to begin with, so thats a good comparison. As far as the cost, I picked mine up for $180 new (ISIS), you just have to look around. Great crankset.

Regarding the alloy bolts, I have been using them for 2 years on my 20t granny ring with no problems. They won't shear off.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I have alloy on mine as well, going on 1.5 yrs, no problems whatsoever, however, I'm more of a spinner than a masher.

Question for ya fire medic, where'd you acquire the 20 tooth granny, & is it alloy?

UK Biker

:d

Scant likes to grind!

mtbr member
    Two years and going strong. The alloy bolts are matter of opinion. Some do and some don`t. I`ve tried both ways with the same results... successful. If you want, run (3) alloy and (3) Ti for peace of mind.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap

Question for ya fire medic, where'd you acquire the 20 tooth granny, & is it alloy?
    Its aluminum. I bought one at my LBS. They can order 20t Vuelta rings, but they happened to have this one in stock. I also bought one off Ebay (also a Vuelta), its on my HT. They occasionally show up there if you search for 20t. The Vueltas work fine and weigh 16 g each.

Last I checked, Cambria was selling 20t rings in 5 bolt compact.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

ballbuster

I ran that for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by scant
    I just picked up a pair of cranks. Given that the chainring spider tabs are replaceable, is it safe to use aluminium granny ring bolts over the stock steel bolts?
    Also are these cranks renown to have any problems?

info appreciated
    but yeah, alu CR bolts are kinda trouble. I ended up selling my Next LPs and going back to my 4-arm XTs using the same CR bolts. I ended up shearing off my granny gear. Nothing like climbing Hurl Hill in middle ring (which I did that day... OWIE!).

I'd say stick with steel or Ti. Works fine for middle ring. I guess there is less leverage at 94mm than at 58mm.

I love Pisgah
    As usual, Jayem hasn't got a clue. They are some of the lightest mainstream cranks around, especially compared to the newer cranks.

Been on a set since 02(using Action Tec ti taper sqr bb w/ ti crankarm bolts). 170lb Sport class racer that likes to crank big gears outa the saddle. XC races, 60+ mile Pisgah Death March's, 12/24hr endurances, bla bla. ZERO problems. They look weathered for sure, having all kinds of scars and buff marks. Still going.

I use alum ringbolts thru-out on most all my cranks. Same deal with some compact Turbines(since 03), and also some std bolt pattern(5 bolt)Turbines(since 02), as well as some 4 bolt Deore tpr sqrs. Have yet to EVER break a ring bolt. I'll take the chance after that kinda record.

I also use a 20t granny with the LPs using a 11-27 Duraace cassette. Cambria has'm cheap in alum, and also ti which makes since with such a small cog.

Been awhile since my last lame chance to post some old pics so...

The LPs have been in 3 diff frames to date.

I did break an FRM alum isis spindel to the Turbines. But thats not a crank issue.

Last edited by Duckman; 01-25-2006 at 03:05 PM.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    You could save those 20 grams by removing those fake carbon fiber stickers they glued in there.
    The actual carbon was laid into a cavity on the backside of the arms. The sticker concept was kind of cheesy, but I guess for marketing purposes they had to convey the carbon concept in a place where people could see it, since not many people go around looking at the backside of crankarms.

SUBLIM8er
    I've been running both the RF next LP and the Turbines for years with absolutely no problems. They are light. They are very stiff. The set of Turbines that I have on my SS with a Blackspire 32 CR and al bolts weighs in at 487 grams. My Next LP on my HT with the Supershifter rings and a 20 tooth granny with al bolts goes just over 500 grams, if I remember correctly. If you pair either of these cranks with a 150gm ISIS BB (I use the AC) you have a setup that is not to be beat for weight and stiffness for the cost. I would run the al bolts on the granny but, with this caveat: don't tighten them as you would steel CR bolts. They will crack if you over tighten! I suspect that most of the problems experienced with broken al bolts can be traced back to overtightening them. Just get 'em good and snug and don't crank on 'em! Inspect for tightness regularly or better yet use some low grip locktite and forget about it.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs