mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Answer Protaper Carbons or Easton Monkey lite SL?

I am trying to decide between the Easton Monkey lite SL low risers at $60 or the Answer Protaper low risers at $49. Easons look a little lighter and have one more degree of seep which I like. They are 25.4 which would mean I need to buy a new stem. More money but not to bad since my current EA70 stem is 157g. The answers a re a little heaver, $10 cheaper and I could use my current EA70 stem. If the quality is the same I might go for the Answer and save about $60-80 at the cost of around 30g. What do you think?

PS last time on the scale showed me at 126lbs. so i wont be putting to much stress on these.

mtbr member
    I have used both for long periods and quality was never a problem. Being 126lbs, 30g isn't gonna have much effect on your overall speed or weight.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I have the ProTaper Carbon in 31.8 and I am very happy with it. I weigh 240 plus gear and I'm an expert at crashing. So far the bar has taken quite a few hits with no damage done. I would recommend you buy the 31.8 diameter bar for a little extra strength plus you'll save some dough not having to buy a new stem. Jenson has had them on sale off-and-on the past few months. I got mime from them for $46.00 plus shipping. I'm sure you already know this but make sure you use a in-lb torque wrench to tighten your stem, shifters, brake levers, and whatever to your bar. Harbor Freight sells a good click-type torque wrench for about $19.99 that's as good as anything out there.

Soccerdude

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude
    Harbor Freight sells a good click-type torque wrench for about $19.99 that's as good as anything out there.

Soccerdude
    Can you link it? I searched around, and didn't find it. Thanks.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    It's not on sale right now but will be soon. They have the 1/2 in drive torque wrench for $9.99 but it measures foot pounds which won't work for what you need. The 3/8 inch drive is currently $19.99 but won't work either. Here is the link for the 1/4 inch wrench that you need. Sign up for their circulars and email ads. They put the 1/4 inch wrench on sale nearly every month and advertise it heavily. You might be able to get the store to match the price of the 1/2 drive if you talk to the manager.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2696

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks soccerdude, I think the 3/8" 5-80 ft-lbs version would also be useful for other things on the bike, so I'll probably pick that one up too.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Don't believe the claimed weight for Answer carbon bars, I bought one last fall and it was about 50g heavier than claimed.