Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,979

    answer protaper carbon bar question

    I like the fit/bend, and found a brand new one for $60. Is this a good deal?

    Is there anything about this bar I should be concerned about in terms of durability, etc.?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    68
    I have one and love it. 160 grams, perfect for aggresive XC riding. Can feel some flex but thats kind of a good thing as it dampens trail vibrations.

    Cheaper and lighter than the Maxim MX-6 and Easton Monkeylite EC-70.

    Cheaper and wider than the Maxim MX-5 and Easton Monkeylite SL EC-90

    If you want a stiffer bar, I hear the Maxim's are the way to go.

    Easton has $40 off coupons right now.

    Wayne

  3. #3
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,258
    Been using one for over a year. Broke my collarbone on it Dec before last. Slammed it many many time. Multi xc races. Pisgah rides like Heartbreak ridge. Yada yada. Even one end looks a tad fraid somewhat, but its still going strong. FWIW. I cut mine down to a more managable 24".

    I like the bend alot. Have an alloy one as well. This bike has an MX5 on it now, but this ones on the HT pic'd behind now. Or is it on the....and that ti bars on the black bike, and...and...LOL! I have way too much time on my hands sometimes.


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by waynomtb
    I have one and love it. 160 grams, perfect for aggresive XC riding. Can feel some flex but thats kind of a good thing as it dampens trail vibrations.

    Cheaper and lighter than the Maxim MX-6 and Easton Monkeylite EC-70.

    Cheaper and wider than the Maxim MX-5 and Easton Monkeylite SL EC-90

    If you want a stiffer bar, I hear the Maxim's are the way to go.

    Easton has $40 off coupons right now.

    Wayne
    Wayne,
    Thanks for the tip. Found the coupon's at Easton's site, but I think even with the $20 to $40 off RETAIL (ugh), the $60 Protaper carbon is still a better deal, wouldn't ya think?

    I'm 165 and have a F100X on the front with a 2.4 MutanoRaptor so I guess stiffness isn't my #1 priority. Comfort and weight and durability (not in that order).

    Found it interesting that Easton purchased Velomax wheels!
    Last edited by danK; 05-01-2004 at 08:42 PM. Reason: more info

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Wayne,
    Thanks for the tip. Found the coupon's at Easton's site, but I think even with the $20 to $40 off RETAIL (ugh), the $60 Protaper carbon is still a better deal, wouldn't ya think?

    I'm 165 and have a F100X on the front with a 2.4 MutanoRaptor so I guess stiffness isn't my #1 priority. Comfort and weight and durability (not in that order).

    Found it interesting that Easton purchased Velomax wheels!
    Well the SL model is the only one I would consider if the price was right. See if a dealer could get you a good deal with the coupon.

    How do you like the mutanoraptor tire and what do you run in the rear?

    Over and out
    Wayne

  6. #6
    Driven by watts inside
    Reputation: - Jeremy -'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I like the fit/bend, and found a brand new one for $60. Is this a good deal?

    Is there anything about this bar I should be concerned about in terms of durability, etc.?
    I put this bar on my girlfriend's freeride bike. It's definitely durable.

    My only complaint is about its diameter. It's a fairly fat bar which makes putting brake levers on that use a 1 bolt pinch clamp design slightly difficult - but still doable. This isn't a problem if you're using disc brakes which use a 2 bolt clamp instead.

    Oh, and I'm pretty sure you can find that bar for like $47 at JensonUSA.

    - Jeremy -

Similar Threads

  1. carbon bar query...
    By prog_boy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 01:19 PM
  2. Easton Carbon DH bar question
    By 2farfwd in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 07:30 PM
  3. rigid fork question: Alu, steel, carbon...
    By jh_on_the_cape in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 04:18 PM
  4. Bar Ends -or- No Bar Ends
    By htims_nivek in forum Passion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 09:15 AM
  5. OT: Is 198g light for a Carbon Road Bar?
    By DIRT BOY in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •