mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Annodized vs Paint. Which is lighter.

I keep hearing that annodized frames are lighter than conventional paint. Anyone know how much of a difference it makes?

Depends on the frame...

I have heard as much as 100gr (nearly 4 oz) but I would bet its usually much less than that. All things being equal I would imagine 30-50 grams.

Recovering couch patato
    With modern powder coats, my bet is 100+g for most frames. I've heard ano is actually weight-neutral.

www.cube-bikes.de sells the same frames in both ano and powdercoat, differences in claimed weights are 80-150g. Not all their frams are powdercoated all the way over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Santa Cruz Bikes Website differentiates the weight between finishes on their bikes.

mtbr member

Powdercoat experience

I weighed my bike before powder coat (4lbs 1oz) and after powdercoat (4lb 4oz) so it gained about 3oz with the powdercoat. The powdercoat was kinda clumpy so I had to file some of it off. Better quality PC may weigh less (from Spectrum or Cyclart) than my cheapo jobbie.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    how much is it typically to have a frame PC'd?

mtbr member
    paint is heavier, i lost half a pound by stripping the paint and stickers off a giant frame.

anodizing is simply creating an oxide coating on the aluminum:
    http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

i'm sure there are better sites for explaining anodizing, but you get the point. surface aluminum is oxidized so there's no addition of material such as with paint.

edit: if the anodize job is clear coated, then you've just added weight...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    i'm sure there are better sites for explaining anodizing, but you get the point. surface aluminum is oxidized so there's no addition of material such as with paint.
    To get colored anodizing you have to add dye, and sealer if you want it to last.. Although the dye is not going to weigh as much as powder coating/paint.
    This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The reason I ask is because I'm trying to obtain the target weight of a (annodized) Mt Vision Pro (24.4lbs) with my (painted) Rift Zone. The components I've used should be as light as the Pro model but I'm coming up about .4lbs short, so that lead me to wonder about the annodized vs pait weight difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosehead
    To get colored anodizing you have to add dye, and sealer if you want it to last.. Although the dye is not going to weigh as much as powder coating/paint.
    sealing is apparently a chemical process which changes the oxide structure and is not a sealer such as a wood furniture sealer. dye is obviously negligible, you're not coating the part in dye, the dye is penetrating into the oxide layer. consider the difference between a t shirt that has been dyed red and a t shirt that's been silk screened. "not going to weigh as much as paint" is a tremendous understatement.

Members who have read this thread: 0