Max
    Velodramatic

New question here. American Classic rims + Eclipse M126 U

ok, i gotta confess it: my crossmax SL wheels suck. the ceramic rims arent that rough anymore, but still the brakepad compound easily gets stuck on the rim. normal XTR ceramic pads are too hard, right now i'm using very soft red aztec pads. i guess i will go back to normal alloy rims...

i still got two eclipse M126 U strips at home, rode them last season. i want to build up a decent wheelset with AMC rims and wonder, if the rimstrip will fit. has anyone tried the combo so far?

BTW: what do you do when your ceramic coating is worn? it suckes to see the coating has only lasted for 18 months (and i hardly rode them!)

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

jonny_mac

i doubt it is

worn, try cleaning them with the mavic ceramic cleaning block

Max
    Velodramatic
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny_mac
    worn, try cleaning them with the mavic ceramic cleaning block
    thanks, but i got the cleaning block, and it didnt help any. the coating IS worn indeed, it's slick. just got them back from mavic (got my freewheel replaced) and when asking them about the rims and why the coating did wear so fast, i was told "that's normal, it ain't worn"

but on some spots it even mirrors!

jonny_mac

exactly

it isn't worn, it would be bare metal if worn. use kool stop green pads. the mavic block should clean it, if not use dirt on the rim while braking to get rid of the "glaze" on the rim.

Max
    Velodramatic
    as i said before, the mavic block has zero effect on the rim. dirt on the rims is like sand paper: it slightly roughens the surface, but doesnt bring back the rough coating

Giant Anthem Rider

Should have used Avid green pads from the start

I have been using them from day one when I bought my Crossmax USTs two years ago and the surfaces are like new. They also stop great like discs. I used to have the non-UST Crossmax wheels and used Shimano ceramic pads ...they sucked and turn my ceramic surfaces to a glossy shine.

Max
    Velodramatic
    just did a comparison: sprayed water onto my rims and pads and checked the stopping power:

- soft compound aztec pads, red, for alloy rims: very strong power even when when, but VERY strong stuttering of brake and fork. maybe it's a fork stiffnes issue, but it sucked and i have never ever had this problem back when using my 717s and 517s
    - harder compound, cheap gigapower pads, black, for alloy rims: less power, take longer to brake, but less stuttering
    - XTR ceramic pads: the worst by far. no power, as if the pads were iced.