Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

American Classic hubs - any good??

Have you guys been happy with them? The reviews aren't so great but they have been redesigned for '05 - perhaps they addressed whatever probs the old ones had.

I ride XC and weigh 155 lbs.

Thanks
    and Merry Christmas!

Max
    Velodramatic
    what about the search function ? in brief: been racing the micro road hub XC, road and CX, no probs. rear road hub as well. also own a pair of the new disc hubs. freewheel failed after 2 weeks, got replacement for free, now comfortable with them again. for the price of a tune or CK hub you can buy a whole bunch of AMC hubs. i love them

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

Flex with micro front hub?

I'm assuming the diameter of the hub where it interfaces with the fork ends on the Micro is smaller than the same on a suspension specific hub. How is the flex, especially when using this hub with a SID? I guess steel bolt-on skewers help a little. I have also heard friends complain of damage to their suspension forks from using a non-suspension specific front hub. I guess the idea is that the forks flex more and twist the legs independently, causing damage to the uppers?
    I would love to build a lighter wheel, as I am now using the MTB American Classic front hub, which is a little heavier than a Chris King at 120 grams, but I can't take any more flex in my SID frontend.

Max
    Velodramatic
    i use ti bolt-ons and only weigh 64 kg. riding low pressure, thin spokes, a SID fork and so on, it's hard to say where the flex comes from. but i would have never thought of the micro hub being too soft on the fork.
    maybe the SID is a soft fork, but i really dont mind/notice in a race

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Am Classic Problems

That's funny...for as long as I can remember, AmClassic is always stating that they fixed the problems with "last" years hubs, yet you hear complaints about them every year. If it's not the bearings, it's the seals; if not seals, it's the freehub; if not..etc, etc. Don't even get me started on their latest offerings in bottom brackets.

I would look elsewhere. The only things that this company reliably lightens is people's wallets.

Big Wheel Homer !!

Disc?

Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller
    Have you guys been happy with them? The reviews aren't so great but they have been redesigned for '05 - perhaps they addressed whatever probs the old ones had.

Thanks
    and Merry Christmas!
    I don't know if your looking for disc hubs or not, but if you are take a look at the WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs. These hubs are made by and are the same hub as the American Classic but have WTB name on them for alot less $$. I have a set with the WTB disc laced to Velocity Synergy rims (1610 grams). I've been riding these for a year on very rocky South East US trails on a FS rig with no problems. I ride XC and I'm 210 lbs.

Just a little FYI,
    Cruz

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller

Thanks
    and Merry Christmas!
    I was informed my 04 hubs were another "redesign" promising to do away with all the issues of past AC hubs. Unfortunately I did not own them long enough to get a true indication, but my 03 AC420 road wheels had no problems. I owned Tune hubs a few years ago and had major problems with the rear hub but the buyer (who knew of the issues) had the magic touch and is still in love with them... considering he got them for a screaming deal. FYI, I used the Tune hub sale money to buy the 04 AC hubs. If I had to do it alllll over again, um, I don't know what I'd do for lightweight and durable hubs.

mtbr member

I'm Using...

As I have said on Dozens of other threads here and on www.weightweenies.stabike.com , I am using the American Classic hubs for my "race / trail" Wheelset and thus far had no problems.

The 2005 Front hub weighs in at 128g, which was a pleasent supprise, as I was expecing the 2004- The 2005 hubs are better mad than the older model hubs, and seem to have better sealing systems; and I am told they have better bearings also. This hub has worked reliably from the get go, been though 2 24hr races, a heap of trail rides and even some wet muddy days still working fine after 3 solid months of use.

Simular with the 2004 Rear hub, the engagement is quiet good, and the seals have been doing there job great. The rear Hub was a real let down for American Classic in the past, but I feel that all the problems have been rectified. It still engages quickly, runs freely, and neither have been touched or adjusted in the 3 months on them.

I'd say go the 2005 models if you can, as they are lighter- and they appear to be better made to me. Less complaints on them also.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

thanks!

Thanks for the reviews!
    I decided to go ahead and get a new set of 2005's off of ebay.
    The price was great ($191.50 to my door) and the auction had the hubs on a scale stating 127g for the front, 227 for the rear (removable disc adaptors on and without skewers).

I like Squishy Bikes

eBay

Hey crankpuller,
    I saw those hubs on eBay too.
    How long did it take for them to show up?
    Are you happy with them?

Thanks
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis
    Hey crankpuller,
    Are you happy with them?

Thanks
    the guy from taiwan on ebay has those at a screaming deal. i'm currently debating whether I want to take the risk. my 2004 WTB rear died after 3 or 4 months of very hard riding, granted they were exposed to foul weather quite often...the front still spins fine. fwiw, mine was also used as a single speed and was probably exposed to more torque than the average bear.

for 175 + 17 shipping for both hubs and ti skewers it seems like a great deal. 75 cheaper than just a rear King hub!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Those taiwan hubs are NOT American Classic hubs, they are knock offs.

I've been using genuine Amclassic hubs for 7 years now and had all but the 2005 model (probably later this year) and they did have a bad run of freehubs in 2002, but other than that, you can't go wrong with the quality and warrantee.

Thanks,
    Shane

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by SKullman
    Those taiwan hubs are NOT American Classic hubs, they are knock offs.
    Interesting. And, your source for this information is what/who?

Thanks,
    baker

MaL*size=
    i wanna make the same question. i ordered from this hong kong guy a week ago. they have online track and confirm and they should arrive here tomorrow monday or maybe tuesday. i bought the non disk brake version at 100 shipped to my house from taiwan front+rear!!!

ill send you pics when i receive them.

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Interesting. And, your source for this information is what/who?

Thanks,
    baker

Yeah, really... I was just about to get the disc version.

.....WTF, I just double checked and the guy has a perfect rating so far. The pics of the product clearly say "American Classic" and appear to be legit. Unless you have some convincing evidence on the contrary, I wouldn't go throwing those accusations around so loosely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    This phenomena is called the grey market. It happens to a lot of products manufactured in China/Taiwan - not just bicycle componets. The brand owner SRAM/AC/ect. orders 50,000 pieces, sends the tools to the factory, but has no way of overseeing the manufacturing process. The manufacturer ships 50.000 (and the tooling), but at the end it succeeds in producing an extra 10,000 pieces (with original logos) that they sell to a trading company, which will ship/sell it through alternative distribution channels. The only problem is that these parts don't have the same quality due to tolerance problems caused by overused tools. A lot of SRAM stuff used to be lower quality due to this reason. This is why they decided to stop making front derailers... the Chinese company dumped more low quality models on the market than they shipped to SRAM! Sometimes you can clearly see that the part was made with overused tools...

Tolerance problems effect hub performance... I had an AC hubset and it died during the first race: the bearings became completely stuck!

-b

Recovering couch patato
    SRAM 9.0 FD's were made in France, weren't they? Not sure where I got that from, but I've always thought that.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by macsi
    This phenomena is called the grey market. It happens to a lot of products manufactured in China/Taiwan - not just bicycle componets. The brand owner SRAM/AC/ect. orders 50,000 pieces, sends the tools to the factory, but has no way of overseeing the manufacturing process. The manufacturer ships 50.000 (and the tooling), but at the end it succeeds in producing an extra 10,000 pieces (with original logos) that they sell to a trading company, which will ship/sell it through alternative distribution channels. The only problem is that these parts don't have the same quality due to tolerance problems caused by overused tools. A lot of SRAM stuff used to be lower quality due to this reason. This is why they decided to stop making front derailers... the Chinese company dumped more low quality models on the market than they shipped to SRAM! Sometimes you can clearly see that the part was made with overused tools...

Tolerance problems effect hub performance... I had an AC hubset and it died during the first race: the bearings became completely stuck!

-b

It's not like what you said. And Sram front derailleurs were not made in Taiwan or China. They were made in France. Please don't distribute false information.

Malty goodness
    I've had a pair of 2003 AC disk MTB hubs, and they've been beat on pretty hard since new. Just recently the rear was sent to AC for bearing replacements (it was feeling a tad rough)
    AC installed a new freehub body at no cost, and redid the pawls and cam plate that accuates the pawls.
    Bill Shook and AC are a class act, but a number of re-design issues combined with (my guess here) communications between them and the Asian mfg. created a few problems in the past few years. AC claims all bad bearings are gone now, and freehub/pawl issues are a thing of the past. Mine have held up as well as any Shimano I have beaten.

Dan

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I got the info from a top marketing person from SRAM. They had this problem with the 5.0 FD. These were made in China. They should know...

-b

Does anyone know where they are made? With the name American Classic one might infer they are made in the USA. Is that the case, or are they imported?

Samsonite Tester
    When the manufactuer puts a rider weight limit on the product it puts a HUGE warning flag up. In case of the AC it is a 180lb rider right? Too close in material needed to do the job properly.

Not worth the risk of trail failure IMO.

EK
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm afraid to post any more info, since logic in many people's mind works the following way: if the SRAM 9.0 FD is made in France (I just took one off a bike and found no "Made in France" logo on it!), all models are made there and not China...

Never mind... AC hubs are made in a factory in Taiwan and is sold through a taiwanese agent. I just double checked this info!

-b

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis
    Hey crankpuller,
    Are you happy with them?

Thanks

I got the hubs in 9 days!!! I also didn't have to pay customs or GST - they didn't bother because the price was in taiwanese currency(thats my theory anyway). I haven't built them up yet but as far as them being knock offs no one would be able to tell the difference.
    They're stinkin' light!

MaL*size=
    they are made in taiwan, but at least the hubs for wheelset, they change the taiwan bearings for a better ones (and not the ceramic ones that are sold separately). And the wheels are handbuilt.
    THIS IS WHAT GAL FRIDMAN SAW AT AMEICAN CLASSIC FACTORY IN FLORIDA!!!!!

SO, MAYBE, THE HUBS ON EBAY ARE FROM THE GREY MARKET. BUT THEY ARE EXACTLY THE ONES USED ON THE WHEELSETS, JUST BUY A 6 CERAMIC BEARING KIT AT 20$ AND YOU ARE DONE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast