they feel very stiff
    and the rim is super wide
    my rear tire 1.95 look like 2.1

MTB RACE 29
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails American Classic-img_3934.jpg  

American Classic-img_3932.jpg  

American Classic-img_3933.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow, the real weight is exactly what was advertised, thats impressive on wheels due to the rim's weight variations.
    Fantastic weight and looks.

mtbr member
    Drool. Is there a weight limit on those? Where did you buy them and for how much? I need these! Could easily drop 200g going from my Easton ea90s.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hot bro.

In before AC haters.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Very nice. I picked up my American Classic MTB Race 29 a couple of weeks ago. Although mine are traditional 9mm QR/135mm, they are still quite stiff for being so light weight. The OP is correct that the 28mm wide rim reall widens tires nicely. Also, mine were 1430 out of the box, which include the tubeless rim strip but not the valves. I've been out on them about 10 times and am quite satisfied. Now it's time to put them away until racing season.
    Last edited by coldryder; 01-31-2012 at 08:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great looking wheels. I'm waiting on my 26er version. Any feedback on how they are to set up tubeless?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    chunky,

My 29ers were easy to set up tubless, though I must admit I used my air compressor to do so. It's not that I tried to use a floor pump and failed, I just went straight to the compressor as I always do.

The tires I mounted are Geax Barro Race and I used 2 scoops of Stan's per tire. They tires popped into the rim on the fist inflation each time. The wheels come with American Classic's tubeless rim tape already installed and tubeless valve stems are provided as well.

mtbr member
    how much? any rider weight limit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mine were purchased at a discount due to team sponsorship. I believe the MSRP in the United States is $999. I'd check American Classic's website regarding the weight limit question. The wheels themselves do not have a weight limit inscribed on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coldryder View Post
    chunky,

My 29ers were easy to set up tubless, though I must admit I used my air compressor to do so. It's not that I tried to use a floor pump and failed, I just went straight to the compressor as I always do.

The tires I mounted are Geax Barro Race and I used 2 scoops of Stan's per tire. They tires popped into the rim on the fist inflation each time. The wheels come with American Classic's tubeless rim tape already installed and tubeless valve stems are provided as well.
    Good to hear. This was really my only concern, given how they've reduced sidewall height and modified the bead (as I saw on interbike video on mtbr).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    how much? any rider weight limit?
    from bike rumor, it says 210lbs...

i know this is a silly question. im 230lbs (slowly getting lighter lol!), can i use it if im not an agressive rider (i dont do jumps)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    from bike rumor, it says 210lbs...

i know this is a silly question. im 230lbs (slowly getting lighter lol!), can i use it if im not an agressive rider (i dont do jumps)?
    210 lbs - those are every day wheels! Thanks for the link.

At 230 I think you'd be pushing it a bit.

mtbr member
    FYI - I just got a response from American Classic regarding the weight limit on the wheels. Officially it is 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    FYI - I just got a response from American Classic regarding the weight limit on the wheels. Officially it is 200lbs.
    oh crap! must stay longer inside the sauna bath...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    200lbs for wheels like this is pretty incredible.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    AmClassic told me 220 lbs for the 26er version (although I've also seen 210 mentioned). Either way, again, pretty impressive for such light wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It's not as though a rider who is one pound over the nominal "weight limit" is going to cause the wheelset to explode. In fact, the increased weight really just means that the wheels will "wear" more quickly, i.e., they may require maintenance more often, they may tend to need re-truing more often, etc. but a 230 pound rider is not going to cause the wheels to suddenly fold over on themselves. So, I say: buy the wheels, work on losing more weight and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I spoke to American Classic on the phone a few days ago and was told 210lbs weight limit on these.

That is amazing for a 29er wheelset this light.

I have ridden AM Classic wheels for years and LOVE them.

on a side note they just came out with their tubeless road wheels at 1179g with the same 210lb rider weight limit - WOW

mtbr member
    Am Classic needs to get its story straight regarding the weight limit.

mtbr member
    Anybody using these as everyday/training wheels? Im considering switching out my standard tubeless AMC's for these. Im far from a heavy rider but im concerned about durability.
    Giant XTC Composite 29er, SID XX World Cup fork, AC Race 29 wheels
    Giant TCR advanced with Ultegra Di2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaXC View Post
    Anybody using these as everyday/training wheels? Im considering switching out my standard tubeless AMC's for these. Im far from a heavy rider but im concerned about durability.
    My set should arrive on Monday. I'm planning on using them as an everyday wheelset (although I have two XC race bikes, so it will only see 50% of my riding).
    Last edited by bholwell; 02-04-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    My set should arrive on Monday. I'm planning on using them as an everyday wheelset (although I have to XC race bikes, so it will only see 50% of my riding).
    Let us know how it goes!
    Giant XTC Composite 29er, SID XX World Cup fork, AC Race 29 wheels
    Giant TCR advanced with Ultegra Di2

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    For anyone who is interested - I recently received my AC 26 race wheels. Weights came in at 711 rear (142 x 12), 600 front (15). That's with tubeless tape, but no valves (about 4g each). So as with the 29er version, just at or under the spec' ed weight - a nice change.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Where are people actually getting these from? I've not seen any online shops selling them yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast