Max
    Velodramatic

Am Classic / NoTubes rims + tape method?

has anybody tried those rims with stan's old taping method? are they easier to inflate than normal rims (say 517, 717)? does the rim and bead profile prevent bead seperation?

can anybody post a pic of the Am Classic's rim profile?

and what high-volume pumps do you know? from all pumps i've tried, the SKS airbase seems to be the best so far

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

Whatever

I have the ZTR355 & Olympic Disc & like them

I have his ZTR355 in front with the included rim strip. Used it for 9 months without problems. 4 months ago I put his Olympic Disc (347gm) rim on the back, with some tape I got at a hardware store. I forgot the kind, but it was what Stan recommended. I made sure to wrap around a full two times, then pumped with a tube first just to make sure the tape was seated. Now I've ridden it here in rocky Colo front range without problems for 4 months.

I had Larry at Mtn High Cyclery build them on my existing King hubs.

They are noticeably lighter than my old 317's with Stan's rim strips. Seem to be just as strong, although I did have almost 3 seasons on the 317's.

One note: I did have to sand down a burr on the weld inside the rim cavity. It destroyed a Conti Explorer Pro -- made the bead separate from the sidewall. Just make sure to feel around to make sure there are no burrs.
    Ibis Ripley with Pike
    Spot Ti Singlespeed
    Santa Cruz V10
    bunch of track bikes for Boulder Valley Velodrome

Max
    Velodramatic
    sounds good so far. gotta get hold of some olympic rims. and how did you inflate the tires? with a compressor or with a floor pump? any problems there? what pressure do you ride? in my experience, if you run less than 40 psi, the bead will seperate

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Olympic rims & pressure.

I've built 2 wheelsets using Stan's Olympic rims, tape only. I've only had a few different tires on these wheels so far, but I'd say the Olympic rims take air a fair amount easier than the 355's and definitely easier than 317's (either with Stan's or Eclipse rimstrip). I don't bother to try a floor pump anymore since I've never had much luck that way. I use a compressor and usually remove the valve core as well, so take those comments with that in mind.

I've only been using the wheels for about 2 months (less than 500 miles), but haven't had any issues with leaks, bead separation, burps, etc. I've run pressures as low as 26 psi for larger tires. It depends on the tire, but normal pressures around 28 to 34 psi have been just fine.

The Olympic rims use a unique bead lock -- much different than the 355 (which was also unique). I believe at least part of the reason Stan's rims work with tape alone is that the portion of the rim channel adjacent to the beadlock is flat, not sloped like most rims. This means the bead can be pushed inwards quite far before any air should be lost. I do believe a rimstrip like Eclipse A126U offers even more security (it has grooves to help hold the bead in the lock area), but so far I haven't had a reason to install them. I was able to dismount some Pythons using only my fingers. I was never able to do this with 317s, but the tires are quite used so maybe the bead is getting pretty stretched.

Time will tell regarding durability. I've only run relatively large tires so far, so the rims have been pretty well protected. The beadlock portion of the Olympic rim is a fair amount shorter than normal, so it seems it should be a little less easy to get dings in that area. Also, the rim has a V-shaped profile (vs. box-shaped), so it is a little less exposed overall as well. I can't feel any difference in wheel stiffness.

Stan's new valves are nice too. 1 gram less than Eclipse. Zero leaking at the valve even with no sealant.

I like simplicity and Stan's new Olympic rims keep things simple and they work really well. It would still be nice to see the finish quality (trueness and weld clean-up) improved even more than it already has been.

Whatever
    I have a front Kenda Kinetics 2.3 Stick-E on the 355, run at 34psi without any problems (not the lightest, I admit, but it was leftover and is a good winter tire). On the Olympic rear I run a Kenda 2.1 Blue Groove at about 34-36psi. No problems either. I don't have a compressor, so I go down to the local gas station with a Presta adaptor and inflate using their compressor. All non-UST Kendas & Hutchinson Pythons, in my experience, hold air as good or better than any other tire with Stan's rims & goo -- with or w/o rimstrips.

I have to say with the sticky tires, set up tubeless with light wheels, I feel like I can climb anything. Even in wet/snow I can still climb.
    Ibis Ripley with Pike
    Spot Ti Singlespeed
    Santa Cruz V10
    bunch of track bikes for Boulder Valley Velodrome

Max
    Velodramatic
    sounds promising! i have had some problems with bead seperation in 317s and 517s using the old tape method and running around 2.2 bar in 2.1" tires. although this only occured during races, it's not really what i look for in a light reliable XC wheelset

Max
    Velodramatic
    anyone happen to have a close-up shot of the AMC's rim profile?