Bro Mountainbiker

Aluminum Cassette for CX race day only

Has this been covered lately? Scrolled back a few weeks and diddnt see anything. Feel free to delete if it has been covered.

Im interested in a aluminum cassette for my CX race wheels for racing only. I race 1 hour races in the mud(sometimes) and I will probably do 10-15 races this season. I weight 167 and may loose 10 pounds soon. Or I might not...

Will the cassette last all season? The wheels it will be on will be for Race day only.

There is an option of zip tying my brake levers to race singlespeed also. That would be 45 mins extra per race day. Would that be too much wear on ONE single gear?

Thanks guys!

My other option is pay a 44g weight penalty and ride a 1090 for about the same price. Maybe a few dollars more.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

ups and downs
    CX... mud, sand, gunk, high torque acceleration, carrying and leaping over things to derail chains = high wear rates on cogs. If you want reliability the alloy cassette would not be the way to go for a 44gm weight saving. It just wouldn't be a good investment and likely would never shift as well, they just can't machine as many shift ramps into the tooth profiles of a CNC cassette.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Bro Mountainbiker
    Maybe a 1090 is a better investment. Itll probably last me years on my race wheels compared to a AL one.

Thanks, i just needed some sense talked into me.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

ups and downs
    Happy to smack some sense into you...
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    In my opinion, an aluminum cassette is only good for putting your bike on a scale to take some pics.
    On raceday, you want reliable parts that are going to shift well regardless of conditions, and last through an entire race. Picking the right tire for the course conditions will benefit you more than an aluminum cassette ever will.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Aluminum Cassette for CX! Worst idea ever

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    However for fat snow bike riding, my Recon Al cassette is working just fine. Took one of the 11-36 ten speed ones, dropped the 11T cog (so now its a 12-36 9sp), and it went all last winter without any problems.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    However for fat snow bike riding, my Recon Al cassette is working just fine. Took one of the 11-36 ten speed ones, dropped the 11T cog (so now its a 12-36 9sp), and it went all last winter without any problems.
    Isn't there a difference between the distance between cogs on a 9 and 10 speed setup?

Plays with tools
    Most crossers avoid the 1090 cassette. It has a tendency to pack up with mud and pretty much ensures the chain wont stay in a gear, much less the one you want.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevorken View Post
    Isn't there a difference between the distance between cogs on a 9 and 10 speed setup?
    Yes, but it just means locking out one shift with the hi-lo limit screws of the derailleur.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Recon 10 speed cassettes (especially alloy) are garbage and their customer service is even worse. For starters, the e-mail reply is slow and the phone # is for Taiwan. Are you going to call Taiwan just to get worthless customer service? After quite a long wait, I finally received an argumentative e-mail reply blaming me for the cassette breaking. I used a Recon gold alloy on one ride and it broke. I was not shifting under load, carelessly, or improperly. When I asked about a warranty replacement, I was essentially told I did not know how to ride and that is what broke the cassette. The reply said, "You are not a good fit for alloy cassettes." These cassettes shift okay with a new chain and new front crank, but not anywhere near as crisp as a SRAM or Shimano cassette. Five teeth broke off the second smallest cog. Stay away from this company's products. The weight savings is not worth throwing your money away.