mtbr member
    Feb 2004

aluminum bolts a good idea

I just built up a salsa bandeto. I spent most of my money on the frame. Is it worth it to switch over bolts to aluminum? is it okay to use aluminum or will it break. i am looking into switching over bolts for the entire bike is this worth it? i just wanted to get the thoughts of people who do this whole weight thing. right now my bike is at 24.2 lbs complete. i have race face next cranks, 2005 race rings, ea 50 stem and bar, thompson post, XT ders, shifters and brake levers, XT to 517 wheels and for now a specialized comp seat (for now). just let me know what you think. here is a picture of before i switched the cranks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Bolts

There are a lot of places to save weight on your bike. Of course spending money will be involved. As for bolts: I use aluminum bolts for things that sare not too highly stressed, and titanium bolts for the rest. Al can go on brake and shift lever clamps, front derailleur to frame clamps, rear derailleur to frame pivot bolt, rear derailleur pulley bolts, and headset compression bolt. Some people use al bolts for cable clamps and v-brake to frame, but I am not so sure about those spots-I like to use ti bolts there. Suspension pivot bolts can be ti in most spots, and some pivots might be suitable for aluminum. Do not even think about using ti and aluminum bolts unless you have a torque wrench and are a capable mechanic.
    You could save a lot more weight with lighter wheels, seatpost, etc. Fully tricking out bolts on a bike usually saves at most 100 gm or so, unless you have alot of big steel bolts in the suspension pivots.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanx for the thought. as a mechanical engineering student i am always looking for something technical to put on the new ride. also as an engineering student i am broke so any upgrades will take time where in this case i can get bolts from friends with machine shops very cheap. thanx for the input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Try Hyperbolts

they have on sale 4 - 5m x 15mm bolts for $7.99 they list them as watercage bolts, however you will find that your bike has several 5m x 15 mm bolts!

http://hyperbolts.com/catalog/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chirider990
    I just built up a salsa bandeto. I spent most of my money on the frame. Is it worth it to switch over bolts to aluminum? is it okay to use aluminum or will it break. i am looking into switching over bolts for the entire bike is this worth it? i just wanted to get the thoughts of people who do this whole weight thing. right now my bike is at 24.2 lbs complete. i have race face next cranks, 2005 race rings, ea 50 stem and bar, thompson post, XT ders, shifters and brake levers, XT to 517 wheels and for now a specialized comp seat (for now). just let me know what you think. here is a picture of before i switched the cranks.
    I use alumimnum bolts everywhere with the exception of levers to bar conneciton, stem, seatpost bolts and chainrings (where I use titnium with th exception of the seatpost)

Otherwise all other bolts are aluminum and I have been happy with it. It costs little (maybe $20) to do a whole bike see for example http://titaniumfasteners.com/shop/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    I use alumimnum bolts everywhere with the exception of levers to bar conneciton, stem, seatpost bolts and chainrings (where I use titnium with th exception of the seatpost)

Otherwise all other bolts are aluminum and I have been happy with it. It costs little (maybe $20) to do a whole bike see for example http://titaniumfasteners.com/shop/
    It depends on what size bolts you are looking for. Here's a list of bolts I plan to get for my Blur. The brake pad T bolts and nuts for them are a bit pricey, as are the stem bolts.
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 07-29-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

ballbuster

Second the bolts

You can drop some real weight for about $30 or so. Just use your armchair engineer's brain. If you go around your bike front to back, you'll see there are bolts everywhere that don't carry a lot of stress, and replace those with alu bolts.

Be sure to use a gentle hand installing them. Oh, and do not use any allen wrenches that have a ball end on them. You will strip the heads out in a hurry. Use grease or TiPrep on them as well, so they don't weld themselves in place.

You can save a bunch more wieght by replacing the Easton EA 50 series stuff. That stuff tends to be kinda heavy. I may suggest checking out the Tahoma stuff at Jenson USA, or Sette stuff at PricePoint.com. All cheap, light and good quality. I got a Sette Edge stem that was 140g real weight for $20, along with a Sette APX 240g seatpost (410mm X 31.6mm) for $20. They also have carbon bars for cheap that are pretty nice. Supergo.com is selling off their Weyless branded carbon bars for $30. I got a set and they are nice. 157g for a riser bar, uncut. IIRC, the flat bar is around 130g.

Nice ride, BTW!