mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Aluminium bolts, where can and cant they go?

im looking at buying some anodized aluminium bolts for pretty much every bolt on my bike. my question is where can and cant they go. ive read they can only be used on non-stress areas. Can i put them on the stem, headset and brake mounts then?
    thanks

SUBLIM8er
    The general consensus is that Ti/steel bolts are only needed for the stem and seatpost binder bolts. Also, you'll need Ti for pivots on a fully if that's what you have and want to swap out those bolts. Everything else can be Al, IMO. I wouldn't know but you might also want some Ti for disc brake rotors; prolly just the front, though? My hardtail has Al everywhere but the stem and seatpost binder and has been rock solid.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

locked - time out

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Its all about Safe, not Sorry..

I second what AXIS stated.. You dont want to set yourself up for any injury .

Jake Pay,

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    right. im going to leave the rotor and stem bolts for now. im jus going to change the bolts on the brake mounts etc.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris27
    im looking at buying some anodized aluminium bolts for pretty much every bolt on my bike. my question is where can and cant they go. ive read they can only be used on non-stress areas. Can i put them on the stem, headset and brake mounts then?
    thanks
    you might want to have a look here:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=16

that's a whole article i did with detailed weights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Do you guys have trouble using a torque wrench without stripping Al nuts. I had this trouble, despite my best efforts, using a Syntace torque wrench and some minimalist v-pad nuts that I got from Trevor Maybee (sp?). With my torque wrench, there is a bit of play built into the Allen head and the wrench itself.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesseg
    Do you guys have trouble using a torque wrench without stripping Al nuts. I had this trouble, despite my best efforts, using a Syntace torque wrench and some minimalist v-pad nuts that I got from Trevor Maybee (sp?). With my torque wrench, there is a bit of play built into the Allen head and the wrench itself.
    Sounds like an poor tolerance problem. I use some Al M6/M10mm lock nuts on my Mrazeks that I got from racebolts, I think. I can get on them w/a M10mm socket and a srewdriver type socket driver w/no issues of stripping. They hold tight. They are pretty cheap and come in colors if you give up on what you have. I don't have that torque wrench so I can't help you there but I doubt that's the issue. My guess is poor tolerances on the nuts.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    yea definitley not seatpost, stem, or brakes. the rest are prolly safe, generally as long as the torque requirement is within the spec for the bolt, but check with the manufacturer of the bolts if you want to be 100% sure

Members who have read this thread: 0