jbf
    mtbr member

Alum chainring bolts for granny OK ?

It seems most high end cranks come with Alum outer bolts and steel inner bolts. Can I switch to alum inner bolts or will I have problems here? I am a 160 lb and ride east coast trails, my granny gets lots of use.

Jag
    mtbr member

You should be ok but....

Quote Originally Posted by jbf
    It seems most high end s come with Alum outer bolts and steel inner bolts. Can I switch to alum inner bolts or will I have problems here? I am a 160 lb and ride east coast trails, my granny gets lots of use.

I sheared mine on a steep incline while I was out of saddle, so make sure you keep them torqued to the proper spec. (I believe mine may of loosened up a bit when I sheared them). I run one cromoly bolt with the other alloy bolts and now I have more peace of mind.

Jag
    Dad...isn't the word "abbreviation" being hypocritical being so long.... My 11 year old daughter.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I've had alu granny-ring bolts loosen up on me as well. They are more finnicky also in terms of overtorquing, so you want it to be "just right" and check them occasionally.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Titanium might be a better choice for granny bolts. I have never had a problem with an alu outer bolt though.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

AL fine for granny, but use a torque wrench.

I put at least 7,000 miles over 3 years on some generic AL chainring bolts and haven't had any trouble except for 1 or 2 that cracked from too much torque while installing. Just grease them and torque to ~7-8 Nm and they'll be fine. Torx head are slightly stronger since less material is removed compared to hex head. The ones that cracked did so at the head around the cut-out for the hex key, but that was at ~10 Nm.