mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Alternatives to steel bottle cage bolts?

I need some new water bottle cage bolts (others were lost in big pile of garage mess while cleaning cages).
    My currents ones are (were) steel, and while at The Home Depot last night, I noticed some aluminum ones and some nylon ones. The aluminum ones were noticeably lighter than the steel ones next to them (duh) and only cost like 38 cents!

What size are traditional water bottle cage bolts? I think knowing this could save me hours searching for the wrong size, only to get home and find out I'm just a bit off.

Granted, I'm only saving maybe 20 grams, but if I need 'em, might as well do it right and light. Thanks.

I love Pisgah
    4mm x 8mm me thinks, same as your rotor bolts. Cambria sells the pretty colored SRP bottle bolts. Thats what I use. I'm crazy like that. Your saving maybe 10gms total for 4 bolts.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I need some new water bottle cage bolts (others were lost in big pile of garage mess while cleaning cages).
    My currents ones are (were) steel, and while at The Home Depot last night, I noticed some aluminum ones and some nylon ones. The aluminum ones were noticeably lighter than the steel ones next to them (duh) and only cost like 38 cents!

What size are traditional water bottle cage bolts? I think knowing this could save me hours searching for the wrong size, only to get home and find out I'm just a bit off.

Granted, I'm only saving maybe 20 grams, but if I need 'em, might as well do it right and light. Thanks.
    They should be M5's. Anything around 10 mm length should work.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 08-11-2004 at 12:54 PM.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member

Yeah its m5x10mm and dont use nylon if you actually plan to hold a cage on there. Nylon is only to plug holes. You can go to racebolts.com and get the right sized Aluminum bolts for like a dollar each. SRP has nice stuff, but overpriced.

jeremyb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyb
    Yeah its m5x10mm and dont use nylon if you actually plan to hold a cage on there. Nylon is only to plug holes. You can go to racebolts.com and get the right sized Aluminum bolts for like a dollar each. SRP has nice stuff, but overpriced.

jeremyb
    Thanks to all. M5x10, gotcha. There is a fastener warehouse in town, so hopefully I can snag some for less than 40 cents each.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyb

jeremyb
    SRP's stuff is not that overpriced, they just gouge you on the shipping to the point of being almost criminal. They charged me $13.25 to ship a few small Al bolts (via UPS ground)without me knowing. Then they wouldn't return my calls or e-mails. I'll never buy from them again.

BTW: Redmist is the cheapest sorce of Al bolts I've found, and have good service.
    www.titaniumfasteners.com
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

ballbuster

Home Depot sells alu bolts?

Dang, I swore I would never step into that hellhole again, but I may have to check that out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Dang, I swore I would never step into that hellhole again, but I may have to check that out.
    Yep. There were at least 25 drawers of steel and anodized steel, and 2 drawers of aluminum bolts, one of which was metric.