mtbr member

Alternatives to Scott and Giant ww frames?

Alternatives to Scott and Giant weightweenie frames? I'm nearly finished with my build which I will post when I get the time but the Scale frame XL is huge (I'm 6'1" to 6'2" or so). I have very little room for the dogs danglies so after a few rides I might decide to look for an alternative frame.

Any Suggestions? The frame that sticks out in my mind is the Storck carbon Rebel. Is this frame made in Germany or Taiwan? I would like to stick with carbon rather then alloy or ti. Spin's Epo has the bling factor I like but is a little too $$$ and has a waiting list (?). What else should I be thinking of? Orbea might be nice because of the price. Kestral and Calfee are a little heavy aren't they? Specialized new carbon HT is nice but they are a little too marketing . . .

I saw a rebel on the Italian board I believe and it looked really nice. The dropouts were constructed very nice and had a replaceable der. I don't know . . . maybe I should just get a "L" Scale.

banned
    the large scale (L) 19" frame should work i'm 6' with a 33" inseam and here is a couple of pix i just took of my (large) 05 scale, what size bike do you ride now?

i never did ever consider anything but the Scott for a carbon hardtail but i know the trek 9.9 carbon HT bike is nice.

mtbr member

Not sure what size I'm on now

I think it's probably around 19". If I do get a different frame I will want a quick turn around time . . . I've been waiting too long for this bike to get finished (Took 3 front derrailure purchases until I got the right one FD-952).

Faller - Expert Class

Frame...

I'm pretty much the same height as you are, and a 20" frame fits me perfectly. I've heard great things about the Orbea frames, and the new Scape is pretty sweet. If I were in the market for a new frame, personally, I'd pick up the Scape. First though, I have to complete building up the Bandito!

Later!
    2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

mtbr member
    I don't get it . . . the Alma and the Scape are the same weight!

Faller - Expert Class

I noticed that too...

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberdoggy
    I don't get it . . . the Alma and the Scape are the same weight!
    Yeah, I noticed that too. But then looking at the prices definitely made me want to go with the Scape!!
    2006 Kona Leroi

well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

My Scape

weighs 1391 grams size 20" with a 24" top tube , I'm 205 # and this frame is great !!
    stiff at the BB but the curve "s" bends stays and a carbon seat post really take the edge off for a awesome ride !!

pic's -

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery....op=506&x=5&y=9

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Crumpton Cycles has a carbon mtb on it's site, I have one of their SL road frames, if it's anything like it, it's going to be a top shelf and rare frame. All his frames are custom.

Faller - Expert Class

I remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle
    weighs 1391 grams size 20" with a 24" top tube , I'm 205 # and this frame is great !!
    stiff at the BB but the curve "s" bends stays and a carbon seat post really take the edge off for a awesome ride !!

pic's -

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery....op=506&x=5&y=9
    when you were posting those pics. Definitely a sweet setup! Nice 1x9 setup on it too!
    2006 Kona Leroi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberdoggy
    Any Suggestions? The frame that sticks out in my mind is the Storck carbon Rebel. Is this frame made in Germany or Taiwan?
    I saw a rebel on the Italian board I believe and it looked really nice. The dropouts were constructed very nice and had a replaceable der.
    I heard somewhere they are made in Taiwan. Great frame, but only for disk!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think you're right or it might have been China and it is just rebranded Storck. Others use the same frame - Meranda possibly.

Members who have read this thread: 0