mtbr member
    Jan 2004

alternative to titec pork rind grips?

i really like the pork rind foam grips but i find them a bit dissposable ie because they move on the bars i have to use nail polish to stick them down (i dont find hairspray effective) but when i need to take them off to put on new levers etc i always damage them and they become baggy and useless.....so has anybody used alternative v-light grips which wont tear or become baggy?

Trail rider and racer
    Extralight foam grips work great. They are actually a pain in the A$$ to get of the bars

Dirt-Boy sells them cheap!

Trevor!

Boj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marco
    i really like the pork rind foam grips but i find them a bit dissposable ie because they move on the bars i have to use nail polish to stick them down (i dont find hairspray effective) but when i need to take them off to put on new levers etc i always damage them and they become baggy and useless.....so has anybody used alternative v-light grips which wont tear or become baggy?
    Not sure about their stick on performance, but in terms of weight, I believe, only Magura Corkies are close to pork rinds. Look up weightweenies to find out. DeeEight sells those here for cheap so contact him if you want some.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

MaLóŚ˘*size=

I like my SCOTT AT-4

[IMG]they have the perfect diameter and as I use barends and grip shift they don´t move. I don´t use hair spary. This are cutted but uncutted their shape is very similar to extralite grips i think. They cost me 10€ in an expensive LBS. They are round but with two flat sides for the fingers. The foam is greatly distributed. I like this grips...

HAPPY TRAILS...

Lactic Acid is my friend.

Cinelli Cork Tape

Cinelli cork tape. Same weight as pork rinds, way cheaper, and way more comfortable. Plus, they absorb sweat if you don't wear gloves and the way they wrap, they make a good shape for your palms. No hairspray! My pork rinds use to flake off all the time too. Nothing beats it, period. Definitely worth a try.

And, the only reason why the other bike in the picture still has pork rinds on it is because after hairspraying them almost year ago, I can't get them off for the life of me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Ive got pork rinds on my bike (my ww part!) and they spin. I'm thinking of just zip tieing em like a friend of mine did, but the bar tape looks like its a way better way to go. I use the grips for the comfort actually, not the weight. I dont ride with gloves, and rubber just kills my hands. Foam grips are soo comfy. The only negative I see with the tape is taking it off. I know its easy to do, but do you need to replace it or can you reuse it? But even if you do need to replace it, it comes in large quantities for low prices so I guess it works. Its not lLike I change my cockpit much/often anyhow so I guess it doesnt really matter that much.
    Herro prease

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Ive got pork rinds on my bike (my ww part!) and they spin. I'm thinking of just zip tieing em like a friend of mine did, but the bar tape looks like its a way better way to go. I use the grips for the comfort actually, not the weight. I dont ride with gloves, and rubber just kills my hands. Foam grips are soo comfy. The only negative I see with the tape is taking it off. I know its easy to do, but do you need to replace it or can you reuse it? But even if you do need to replace it, it comes in large quantities for low prices so I guess it works. Its not lLike I change my cockpit much/often anyhow so I guess it doesnt really matter that much.
    The tape has a thin strip of adhesive to keep the tape in place. If you really needed to put the old tape back on, you could I suppose because you wrap it over each other and tight enough so it stays down. I use a dab of superglue on the loose end of the tape to keep it down. But like you said, it's cheap stuff. One box for $12 has enough for 3 sets of grips (GS length).
    Last edited by split; 03-03-2004 at 09:41 PM.

Boj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by split
    Cinelli cork tape. Same weight as pork rinds, way cheaper, and way more comfortable. Plus, they absorb sweat if you don't wear gloves and the way they wrap, they make a good shape for your palms. No hairspray! My pork rinds use to flake off all the time too. Nothing beats it, period. Definitely worth a try.

And, the only reason why the other bike in the picture still has pork rinds on it is because after hairspraying them almost year ago, I can't get them off for the life of me.
    Hey Split, does that tape perhaps come in red color? I've seen red grip tape around here before.

Also have you confirmed yourself it weighs as little as porkies (for the same grip thickness and length)?
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

6g each side

Quote Originally Posted by Boj
    Hey Split, does that tape perhaps come in red color? I've seen red grip tape around here before.

Also have you confirmed yourself it weighs as little as porkies (for the same grip thickness and length)?
    Same length and thicker (more comfortable) at the same weight. My short 2.5 inches of tape setup weigh 6g each side (12g total), the same as my previous pork rind setup at the same length. I put a short strip lengthwise where my palms contact the bar. Then I wrap it once from the outside in. I hold the inner end down with a dab of superglue. It's held up nice since the end of summer 2003.

Cork tape comes in every color and pattern you can possibly imagine.

mtbr member

Cinelli cork tape probs

I've always had problems with keeping the Cinelli cork tape on the bars. I usually lose the tape part way through a race and am stuck with gripping the bare bar for the rest of the race. Any suggestions on keeping it from unravelling?

I love Pisgah

short section of cut innertube?

Just got back from another test/sorting ride. Tried some stretched over the foam...cut piece of thin lightweight(1.5-1.9 size)innertube on the race bike, and its kicksass. Used the sandpaper that comes with a patch kit to rough up the surface for more grip after i installed it. Turned it insideout and got that white crap off it too before installing. Very stretchy fit, and i think a piece 1-2" piece stretched over it at the "closing" end of the bar wrap would be the ticket. Also makes foam or wrap grips more weather resistant
    (say a mud race this weekend) cause it closes off the end for water pretty well, but you can take it off/on in seconds, so its not perm at all if one wants. I did the whole darn foam grip and hell, it feels good too. The entire tube is 100gms, so a 4" or so piece has got to be 10gms at best.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokejunky
    I've always had problems with keeping the Cinelli cork tape on the bars. I usually lose the tape part way through a race and am stuck with gripping the bare bar for the rest of the race. Any suggestions on keeping it from unravelling?
    Electrical tape helps in taping bars,

They also have bar tape that has the stickey stuff on the inside of the tape. Also if you wrap the bar with the tape going with the grain that your hand is used to then you'll have better success.
    Its similar to wrapping a road bar. If you wrap it backwards, then when you clamp onto the grips you're loosening it because your hands are twisting the tape in the opposite direction...

strip it down

how does hairspray not work?

I sprayed the inside of my titecs - and then sprayed my bar (carbon) and slid them on...and man they are locked on... hell they only cost 10 bucks at cambria so when they where out I'll get another - I've never tried reusing grips anyway. I do like the idea of using cork tape though and may go to that also - because if it works on the road it will work on dirt I'm sure. Just spray so much hairspray down into the grip so that it pools...or use hairgel or something...if you go that route I don't see how you could have a problem with it not sticking?
    There's nothing like having the world under your wheels......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

hey guys with me being a hairstylist you would think.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tbonius
    I sprayed the inside of my titecs - and then sprayed my bar (carbon) and slid them on...and man they are locked on... hell they only cost 10 bucks at cambria so when they where out I'll get another - I've never tried reusing grips anyway. I do like the idea of using cork tape though and may go to that also - because if it works on the road it will work on dirt I'm sure. Just spray so much hairspray down into the grip so that it pools...or use hairgel or something...if you go that route I don't see how you could have a problem with it not sticking?

i could get these pork rind grips to stick so i'll need to use rock hard spray!

superglue

Quote Originally Posted by Spokejunky
    The Cinelli cork tape has a strip of adhesive all along the length of the tape. I hated the little piece of tape they gave you to tape the grip down - useless. It didn't stick at all. I just ended up using a dab of superglue to hold that end down and it's been working so far. Clarification: I'm supergluing the tape to itself, not the actual bar.

strip it down

damn dirty kids.....

Quote Originally Posted by marco
    i could get these pork rind grips to stick so i'll need to use rock hard spray!
    Talking about spraying, and sticking....and pooling hair gel......cycling has gone all wrong...all wrong.
    There's nothing like having the world under your wheels......

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    im considering using cork tape, but my one worry is if gloves grip to it well. i dont like racing in wet conditions with bare hands because with the dual control shifters, your bare finger slides off when shifting up