Thread: alright

reebok classics

alright

does any company even make a mechanical disc brake system that comes close to the weight of say your common avid V-brake set-up?

im trying to justify the need for a disc setup

i only weigh about 140
    i have avid V brakes and can stop good even in rain/mud/wetness
    i live in central PA where sometimes it seems hte trails are paved out of limestone or sandstone

im a straight up XC rider/racer (used to be into racing alot more(midatlanticsuperseries)) with a hardtail

mtbr member
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I mean, if you V-brakes are up to the task, what advantage are you looking for in disk? Unless you go nuts on exotic disk parts (Al rotors, bolt tuning, wicked light hubs, etc.), you are looking at least a 1/2lb weight gain over much cheaper, more readily available parts, v-brake set.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Hope mono mini vs. Avid Mag

I have been V-brake faithful for over 10 years now, and have always been suspicious of discs, being a hardenend weight weenie!

But I recently built my old hardtail back up, and put a Hope Mono Mini disc brake on the front tied to a Chris King / Mavic 717 wheel, just to test the concept. The brake setup weighs 355g, with alu bolts and hose trimmed.

My conclusions so far are that, yes it's heavier;
    V-brake was 160g + lever 90g + cable 30g = 280g.
    Disc brake is 355g + 30g for the heavier disc hub, -15 gram for the brake studs = 370g.

So about 100g heavier. I was using a ceramic rim on the V's and I find that my v's have MORE power than the disc brake.

However, the disc brake is much more controllable, very precise. And in the winter, mud doesn't bother the disc at all.

So I reckon I stick with the disc for winter, but keep using V's when the trails dry in the summer.