mtbr member

No good Aireon Prolite 173g claimed!!

Hi guys, I don't typically post on here, but I thought I might let you know. I bought this prolite on a whim from supergo. I had the selle italia slr 135g model for 89.99 in my hand and then I saw these aireon saddles with a claimed weight of 173g for the prolite. What the hell I thought, 40g difference, I don't mind. So I take my old selle san marco off and bring it with me into my chemistry lab and weigh the sell san marco...268g. I throw the prolite on and vois la 208.8g. Wow, off by more than 20% from the claimed weight. I'm bringing this piece of #$@% back to supergo for credit towards my soon to be slr seat. Gees, you'd figure they'd do quality control every few seats to assure their claimed wait was within a few %. I guess not. Buyer beware.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    annoying, isn't it. my worst was a raceface next carbon post listed at 215g but weighed in at 271g, or 26% overweight, hell, why not just make it a 300g post and tell people it'll double as a crowbar. +5-10% I can understand as a marketing fudge factor, but man, if I overstated something like that at my job I'd be looking for either new clients or a lawyer.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's gross negligence imo. One would sure be in the hotseat at the workplace to say you're to provide X and then give X-Y. That doesn't fly in the business world.

Ty
    mtbr member
    For all it's worth, shimano are one of the few companies spot on with their weights, also USE, Bebop, syntace and C.King are usually gram accurate.

Do not expect your SLR to weigh 135g! mine are always 142-148g, I don't see why they feel they have the right to print 135g on the thing if they cannot make them ALL this light.

Ty
    mtbr member
    For all it's worth, shimano are one of the few companies spot on with their weights, also USE, Bebop, syntace and C.King are usually gram accurate.

Do not expect your SLR to weigh 135g! mine are always 142-148g, I don't see why they feel they have the right to print 135g on the thing if they cannot make them ALL this light.

Just passing through....
    I am in no way defending the exaggerated claims of light weight by these companies. I have posted complaints about the same issue in the past, including products from Supergo. Mistakes and variations among product runs are one thing, lying is another. The weight claim for this saddle is ridiculous, and even by taking the lightest ever Prolite made, it probably was not 173 grams.

In defense of this saddle, it is indeed a very good saddle, especially for the price. I bought mine for a "budget light" project a year ago, knowing ahead of time the approximate true weight. While 195 g's is not great compared to an SLR ti (my SLR was 145 g's, claimed 135 g's), I have to say I rate it slightly more comfortable than the SLR, and I think the SLR is a comfortable saddle.

The Prolite is a good saddle, but you have to be willing to live with the fact that its (quite a bit) heavier than claimed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    May 2004

How is comfort compared to Flite classic Ti (no gel)

I like the regular Flite Tis. (the ones all sold out right now) I even went so far as to get the one with kevlar corners to put on my full suspension rig.

I always wondered about the Prolite. How is build quailty? Real leather?

ballbuster

Second that...

I got one on my roadie, and I saw 190 grams on my scale.

I also bought the Team Race saddle and it came in at 180g on my Stumpy FS bike. Same $20 at Supergo. A good deal, IMO. Comfy and I have not destroyed either on in the year I've owned them. The Team Race is looking a bit dingy, being on a bike I rode through winter storms and mud. I usually keep a WTB Laser DH on my daily rider most of the time. It comes in around 275g and more comfy for long hauls.

I also got the Vented Race saddle on my SS. That bike doesn't see many miles, so it still looks pretty new. Still pretty comfy for a 200g saddle.

Oh, and to answer the other guy's question.... the quality is pretty dang good. Weight is pretty low if you ignore the claimed weight, and they have lasted me pretty well. A name brand saddle will probably have higher quality, but land-fill factor aside, you could get 5 of these for the same price.

I'm with you about the weights. I'm unfortunately used to being bold-faced lied to by bike part manufacturers. I mean really.... 3.4 lbs for a Duke race.... with no fork oil?!? That is actually how they advertized that thing! You would void the warranty if you actually did that.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by long_strange_ride
    I like the regular Flite Tis. (the ones all sold out right now) I even went so far as to get the one with kevlar corners to put on my full suspension rig.

I always wondered about the Prolite. How is build quailty? Real leather?

I've never tried a Flite ti, but my Prolite looks almost as new as when I bought it. Admittedly its on my back up bike, but it has gotten its share of use and I'm pleased with its durability. It seems to hold up better than my SLR ti (which isn't saying much). Its not genuine leather, and the white stitched lettering is the first to show dirt. But it seems to be well made.

I'm happy with the Prolite and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I got one on my roadie, and I saw 190 grams on my scale.

I also bought the Team Race saddle and it came in at 180g on my Stumpy FS bike. Same $20 at Supergo. A good deal, IMO. Comfy and I have not destroyed either on in the year I've owned them. The Team Race is looking a bit dingy, being on a bike I rode through winter storms and mud. I usually keep a WTB Laser DH on my daily rider most of the time. It comes in around 275g and more comfy for long hauls.

I also got the Vented Race saddle on my SS. That bike doesn't see many miles, so it still looks pretty new. Still pretty comfy for a 200g saddle.

Oh, and to answer the other guy's question.... the quality is pretty dang good. Weight is pretty low if you ignore the claimed weight, and they have lasted me pretty well. A name brand saddle will probably have higher quality, but land-fill factor aside, you could get 5 of these for the same price.

I'm with you about the weights. I'm unfortunately used to being bold-faced lied to by bike part manufacturers. I mean really.... 3.4 lbs for a Duke race.... with no fork oil?!? That is actually how they advertized that thing! You would void the warranty if you actually did that.
    Wow, you guys are gettin' 190g!! I just found weight weenies website and just checked to humor myself and to my amazement, the exact weight that I had on my scale was 209g!! I'm still taking it back today for the SLR. I do realize I probably won't get exactly 135g, but + 10g is not that bad if it's off a little.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by protocol_droid
    Wow, you guys are gettin' 190g!! I just found weight weenies website and just checked to humor myself and to my amazement, the exact weight that I had on my scale was 209g!! I'm still taking it back today for the SLR. I do realize I probably won't get exactly 135g, but + 10g is not that bad if it's off a little.
    Sure the SLR weighs 135 grams or thereabouts (mine is 134 grams to be exact), but it isn't built sturdily enough to hold up to rigorous off-road riding. It belongs on a bike with 310 gram tires. I bought one for my mountain bike and it just didn't cut the mustard. I switched it over to my road bike and it has managed to not fall apart completely after more than two years.

I'll tell you what saddle I have been very pleased with off-road. The Aireon Team Race, which is the other lightweight saddle Supergo has been selling for the past few years. It weighs a bona fide 185 grams with the useless rear bumper removed, and is actually sort of sturdy. If you see one there at the Supergo you should get it, it's a real bargain.

I have a Prolite too and I think it weighs 200 grams, but it's on a bike now. The padding on it is a bit too heavy and squishy for me. It amazes me that it has a claimed weight of 173 grams, that must be the weight without the padding.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfurby
    Sure the SLR weighs 135 grams or thereabouts (mine is 134 grams to be exact), but it isn't built sturdily enough to hold up to rigorous off-road riding. It belongs on a bike with 310 gram tires. I bought one for my mountain bike and it just didn't cut the mustard. I switched it over to my road bike and it has managed to not fall apart completely after more than two years.
    It depends on what you call rigorous off-road riding. The SLR is a great saddle for XC racing, and I have 200+ pound friends using them on all mountain bikes with no problems (so far.... ). Its probably not the best saddle for an all mountain bike though, unless you are light. I'm 185 lbs and I've been using one for over 2 years now on my XC bike and its holding up great, and I've had my share of hard crashes. I'd buy another SLR if and when mine needs replacement. Its earned my confidence. The weak point is the covering. You do need to take care of that to make it last (i.e. not lean it up against stucco, etc.)

I agree, the Team Race is a good saddle also, I have 2 of those. A little uglier than the SLR or the Prolite though, but the price is right. I have one that came in at 195 g's, that I tuned down to about 179 g's. I am looking to get it under 170 g's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 08-17-2005 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Just bought the SLR. Beautiful construction and I could feel the difference in my hand between the prolite and the SLR. Also, when I brought the prolite back, there were no more. THey had out the Team saddles with the claimed weight of 180 or 195 g I;ve since forgotten the weight. I'm actually using a rockshox suspension seatpost...yeah I know, heavier than heck at almost 400g. I'll tell you what though, it saves me. I don't mind since my giant xtc is now 21lbs.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    I have a prolite on 2 mtb and the flite ti on my roadie. The 3rd mtb has a SLR.

The prolite and roadie are really close in comfort. The prolite may edge out as the winner.
    The SLR is a nice XC saddle for me, but on seated long climbs, it gets painful, particularly on seated road climbs.

I too was very disappointed at the weight of the prolite, 200g, but it was $15, so i bought 2. I weighed them months later, so it was too late to change my mind. But still, they were $15.