Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Your disco is weak!

Aieron 140 gram Team Race saddle... (SLR clone)

For $30 bucks its a hell of a value compared to the SLR. Anyone tried this saddle before? How's the quality/comfort/durability?

Thx!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Who is selling them??????

Who is selling them and where?

Your disco is weak!

Supergo.com 29.95

Pretty amazing value... if the quality is any decent.

mtbr member

Do you have a link?

I looked at Supergo's site and could only find the one:
    http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?
    175 grams.

You mentioned a "team" saddle at 130 grams. Do you have the exact link?

KMan

LPROD_ID=21117&lsubcat_id=1813&lcat_id=7604&referpage=

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRiddler
    For $30 bucks its a hell of a value compared to the SLR. Anyone tried this saddle before? How's the quality/comfort/durability?

Thx!

Your disco is weak!
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    I looked at Supergo's site and could only find the one:
    http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?
    175 grams.

You mentioned a "team" saddle at 130 grams. Do you have the exact link?

KMan

LPROD_ID=21117&lsubcat_id=1813&lcat_id=7604&referpage=

The one youre looking at is the prolite. The team is :

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...xt=&referpage=

The 140 number was from their catalog (not website).

Your disco is weak!

pic

pic: adsfasddfasfd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trying to find Flow

There was a similar link on this subject

Thx!
    a while back. I currently use one and I'm actually really impressed (if I sound surprised I am). It has a similar shape to the SLR on my road bike, but has cushier padding, which I like a lot better on my hardtail. I've been on a number of multi-hour epic rides, including the Vision Quest race on that saddle and I've never noticed it, which is a good thing. It's held up pretty well too; the emboidering just looks grubby, but that's it. I was actually testing it out the other day by pounding it with my skinny arse while on the bike, and I could see the ti rails flex. It's more comfortable than my $80 Titic Ithys on my singlespeed.
    If you live near a Supergo store and can wait a week or so, it'll be going on sale for $25. Might pick up an extra one or two.

Just passing through....

How much does it weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    a while back. I currently use one and I'm actually really impressed (if I sound surprised I am). It has a similar shape to the SLR on my road bike, but has cushier padding, which I like a lot better on my hardtail. I've been on a number of multi-hour epic rides, including the Vision Quest race on that saddle and I've never noticed it, which is a good thing. It's held up pretty well too; the emboidering just looks grubby, but that's it. I was actually testing it out the other day by pounding it with my skinny arse while on the bike, and I could see the ti rails flex. It's more comfortable than my $80 Titic Ithys on my singlespeed.
    If you live near a Supergo store and can wait a week or so, it'll be going on sale for $25. Might pick up an extra one or two.
    Does it weigh close to the 140 gram claimed weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Is the shell really carbon? I am also curious as to its actual weight.

mtbr member

Just ordered one...

I've been scowering e-bay for an SLR for some time now but haven't had any luck (plenty there but keep getting outbid). For $30 bucks why not give it a try! Should be here in a couple of days, as soon as I get it I'll get a confirmed weight and give my initial ride impressions (just in case anybody wants to know).

Your disco is weak!

I too like to live dangerously...

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJD
    I've been scowering e-bay for an SLR for some time now but haven't had any luck (plenty there but keep getting outbid). For $30 bucks why not give it a try! Should be here in a couple of days, as soon as I get it I'll get a confirmed weight and give my initial ride impressions (just in case anybody wants to know).

Just ordered one as well... its $30 & looks promising, so what the hell.

hooked on quack
    I think this just shows up till now, we've prob been paying way too much for most saddles, even on "sale'.

Hey JD, I just sent you a PM about the preride Sat.

Duck

Trying to find Flow

I don't know where the 140g came from

Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    Is the shell really carbon? I am also curious as to its actual weight.

but as I recall, the POS (point of sale) placard at the store sayed something about them being around 170g. I don't remember the exact number, and this is for the Prolite mind you, not the hollow ti railed saddle, which I think weighed a little more actually. Be reasonable with your expectations; you can't expect a saddle to be extremely comfortable, as light as an SLR but more durable, AND cost only $25. I'll settle for two out of three.

I don't know where the idea that the shell was carbon came from either, but it's probably nylon, but who cares. I recall a Cyclingnews review on the SLR carbon where they determined that the "carbon" shell looked suspiciously like nylon.

Fragile - must be Italian

I own the Aereon Prolite...

...and I think it's a great saddle. The Prolite is the 170g model. When I bought the saddle at Supergo, the Team was hanging next to it. It was a nice saddle, but it didn't have a "relief" zone in the middle from what I can remember. Both are made by Velo (have the "Velo" name stamped in the shell underneath).

My Aereon seat has held up pretty well over the months. I just had a wicked crash on the bike and scuffed the hell out of the leather, but the saddle itself seems to be OK. But for the cheap price, who cares -- if it gets wrecked, I'll just pick up another. It sure makes you think twice about spending $100 on a "high zoot" saddle.

Thx...Doug

Ransomed

Longest ride?

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    ...and I think it's a great saddle. The Prolite is the 170g model. When I bought the saddle at Supergo, the Team was hanging next to it. It was a nice saddle, but it didn't have a "relief" zone in the middle from what I can remember. Both are made by Velo (have the "Velo" name stamped in the shell underneath).

My Aereon seat has held up pretty well over the months. I just had a wicked crash on the bike and scuffed the hell out of the leather, but the saddle itself seems to be OK. But for the cheap price, who cares -- if it gets wrecked, I'll just pick up another. It sure makes you think twice about spending $100 on a "high zoot" saddle.

Thx...Doug
    Doug - what's your longest ride on this saddle? How did it hold out comfort-wise??

Just passing through....

Supergo catalog

Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    but as I recall, the POS (point of sale) placard at the store sayed something about them being around 170g. I don't remember the exact number, and this is for the Prolite mind you, not the hollow ti railed saddle, which I think weighed a little more actually. Be reasonable with your expectations; you can't expect a saddle to be extremely comfortable, as light as an SLR but more durable, AND cost only $25. I'll settle for two out of three.

I don't know where the idea that the shell was carbon came from either, but it's probably nylon, but who cares. I recall a Cyclingnews review on the SLR carbon where they determined that the "carbon" shell looked suspiciously like nylon.
    I just got a Supergo catalog in the mail yesterday. I shows the "Team" saddle at 160 grams, and the"Prolite" at a little higher than that. Still light, and I've always found Aereon
    products to be of decent quality. I'd still like to get a confirmed weight though, so somebody weigh one, or I'll have to drive down to Supergo with my scale.

Fragile - must be Italian

24 hours

Quote Originally Posted by gofarther
    Doug - what's your longest ride on this saddle? How did it hold out comfort-wise??
    Well, I did a 24-hour race with that seat. I rode 5 laps, or approximately 80 miles.

I also did the training ride for the 24-hour race, which was 5 laps on the same course -- 80 miles.

My road bike has the same seat. I've done a 150 mile "Best Dam" ride, 2 centuries, and many 70-milers.

I personally find the saddle to be *very* comfortable, but I also have relatively narrow sit bones. Saddle comfort is a personal thing, so what may be comfortable to one person is not comfortable to another. I like smaller, harder saddles, and this fits the bill pefectly. Plus, it's dirt cheap

Supergo is going to have it on sale for $29 for their April sale. If you live near a Supergo, stop by and pick up a few.

Thx...Doug

Ransomed

Sweet! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Well, I did a 24-hour race with that seat. I rode 5 laps, or approximately 80 miles.

I also did the training ride for the 24-hour race, which was 5 laps on the same course -- 80 miles.

My road bike has the same seat. I've done a 150 mile "Best Dam" ride, 2 centuries, and many 70-milers.

I personally find the saddle to be *very* comfortable, but I also have relatively narrow sit bones. Saddle comfort is a personal thing, so what may be comfortable to one person is not comfortable to another. I like smaller, harder saddles, and this fits the bill pefectly. Plus, it's dirt cheap

Supergo is going to have it on sale for $29 for their April sale. If you live near a Supergo, stop by and pick up a few.

Thx...Doug
    Right on - I'm an adventure racer with a bony, skinny arse (sorry - too much info.) Sounds like this may be worth a try.

Thanks for the info.

GF

Ransomed

Ditto that. NM

Just ordered one as well... its $30 & looks promising, so what the hell.
    Even at $12 for shipping it's worth it.

GF

Your disco is weak!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    I think this just shows up till now, we've prob been paying way too much for most saddles, even on "sale'.

Hey JD, I just sent you a PM about the preride Sat.

Duck

I think you're right on this... People have been paying way too much for a piece of leather wrapped aroud a plastic shell. We need more taiwanese knock offs (that do 90% of the job the expensive ones do) to start driving the price down to reasonable levels.

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D

Saddle Costs

The high markup costs of some saddles is simply amazing. We do need more knock off saddles. Another good low cost yet well made saddle are the Douglas saddles offered by Coloradocyclist.com

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...ode=0&CI=1,225

These Douglas saddles are just over 200g but they offer plenty of padding, some have gels and titanium rails, and reinforced edges. All are less than $40.00.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice! They dropped the price to $19.98 online!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good job! Linky to Aireon Team Saddle $19.98

Quote Originally Posted by ~ScaryFast~
    Nice! They dropped the price to $19.98 online!
    Linky to Saddle

mtbr member

Yo Duck...

Check your private messages. I just noticed that you'd sent me one this morning.

mtbr member

I got mine yesterday...

...okay I posted another thread regarding this last night but anyway here it goes again, some thoughts:

This saddle (Aireon Team Race) is NOT 140gm.
    Nor is it 160gm that the catalog claims.
    The packaging that is zip-tied to the seat claims 185gm.
    My scale says 192gm.
    It is 94gm lighter than a Flite Genuine Gel Ti (on my scale it Flite weighs 286gm).
    My scale could be off but best case scenario is the claimed 185gm.
    The saddle looks solid but gaudy.
    Initial tests reveal comfyness to my arse.
    I'm miffed that they lowered the price AFTER I bought mine.

Bottom line:
    For $29.95...excuse me, $19.95 this seems to be an awesome saddle. If you're like me and running a "brick" on your seatpost this is the cheapest 100gm you'll ever lose. As I stated in my other thread, I just wish that someone at Supergo took the time to read the packaging on the seat before advertising it at 20gm less...perplexing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast