mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Actual wheel weights

I recently bought a used bike to set up as my XC race bike. One of the things that attracted me to it was it had a very clean set of Crank Bros Cobalt wheels(2011 model). I did quite a bit of research on these wheels, and while not super light, they were decent at 1550g, and the bike as a whole was a good deal. So I get the bike home and I start the tear down process(which I do on any used bike I buy) and I was happy the wheels are in great mechanical condition. So I strip them down to just the bare wheels- no rotor, cassette, tires, or QR and measure them. To my surprise they measured out at 904g for the rear and 743g for the front-1646g Total! Add the QR's and you're talking another 120g! That's what my crossmax SX's on my enduro weigh!!

So needless to say, I'm not real happy about this. I'm racing XC this year just for fun and the extra motivation it adds to my training, and therefore trying to get involved as inexpensively as possible.

Is this common for the published weight to be incorrect?
    So when Stan's says their crest wheelset weighs 1440g, does that include the QR's?
    What would be considered the industry standard when they publish the weight- with or without skewers? With or without axle adaptors? Anyone have any input on this. Makes it tough to make a proper decision if you don't know what you're actually getting.

ups and downs
    Usually wheels are weighed without QR's, rim tape, valve stems, or anything that might be considered "removable". That's a big discrepancy in weight on the Cobalts. Most wheels by major manufacturers are pretty close to published weights.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada