On your left.
    Jan 2004

Action Tec Cassette (cog set) - any info?

http://www.actiontec.us/ticog.htm

Anybody have any info one way or the other about the Action Tec cog set. Two features I'm most curious about are the shark tooth profile and the required non-floating pulley.

I'm interested because it should be durable and I can customize the gear ratios. My hub is a white industries DJ with Ti freehub body, so the seperate gears (not on a spider) should dig in (the seperate gears on a DuraAce cassette do not dig in).
    M

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    check out the cycle-dynamics ti cassettes also... someone around here uses one and loves it.

http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I Have Been Using the Cycle Dynamics

9-Speed cassette for almost two years and love it! I will say that with any cassette where there is no spider, you have to be careful with lightweight alloy drive shells. I swapped out the shells on two of my CK hubs to the stainless steel option. Took 10 minutes with the hub tool and at the time i did it, was still rpetty cheap (search for threads about CK pricing). I can say that after almost two years, there isless wear than i would have had with an alloy cassette. When the cogs wear, you can replace them as needed. I am about to swap oput two cogs and may convert to a 2x8 set-up.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

On your left.
    Jan 2004

customizable?

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if they can they make custom gear sets or is selection limited to what they show on the website?

Where did you buy yours - It looks like I'd buy mine from cambriabike.com

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    9-Speed cassette for almost two years and love it! I will say that with any cassette where there is no spider, you have to be careful with lightweight alloy drive shells. I swapped out the shells on two of my CK hubs to the stainless steel option. Took 10 minutes with the hub tool and at the time i did it, was still rpetty cheap (search for threads about CK pricing). I can say that after almost two years, there isless wear than i would have had with an alloy cassette. When the cogs wear, you can replace them as needed. I am about to swap oput two cogs and may convert to a 2x8 set-up.
    M

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I Bought Mine Directly from...

Cycle Dynamics. Paul Tettamanti will take care of you. E-mail him at:

cycledyn@telus.net

What i mean by customizable is that you can mix and match whatever gear combos you like in the cassette. There are a coupld they don;t make, like 33 and 31 tooth, but other than that its up to you.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

On your left.
    Jan 2004

got a reply from Russ

$300 for 12-14-16-18-21-24-26-28-30. If that remains the case, then I'll have to shelve the idea. The gearing profile looks perfect (see below) with these ratios, so I will continue to pursue it.

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    Cycle Dynamics. Paul Tettamanti will take care of you. E-mail him at:

cycledyn@telus.net

What i mean by customizable is that you can mix and match whatever gear combos you like in the cassette. There are a coupld they don;t make, like 33 and 31 tooth, but other than that its up to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Motivated; 10-19-2005 at 09:17 AM. Reason: forgot to attach image
    M

mtbr member

I 2nd the Cycle Dynamics cogset.

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    $300 for 12-14-16-18-21-24-26-28-30. If that remains the case, then I'll have to shelve the idea. The gearing profile looks perfect (see below) with these ratios, so I will continue to pursue it.
    The $300.00 price tag seems too much though. I`ve had mine for a year now with no troubles. 8 spd - 12-28 - 159g. Are you sure about that price. I paid $196.00 shipping in a year ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wow - I hope they thought you were...

ordering two!! Mine was about $165, but again, that was almost two years ago. $300 would be too steep for me! I'm not a big fan of the Big 'S', but you could get almost 3 of the M-960 XTR cassettes for $300 (OK - two and one XT). You may check Action-Tec, I have not used their cassettes, but have had excellent successes with their chainrings, both 'standard' Ti and Heat Treated. According to their website, the 9-speed cassettes are $167. I know the price of Ti has gone way up this year, but...

http://www.actiontec.us/prices.htm
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

Members who have read this thread: 0