mtbr member
    Jan 2004

95gram 160mm stainless disc rotor

My first weight weenie post!

I just purchased a A2Zcomponents Teppan Yaki SP-II 160mm stainless steel disc rotor. It comes with stainless steel bolts and has an advertised weight of 96grams.

I weighed one and it was 95grams on my digital postage scale. The stainless steel torque bolts weighed 12grams for 6 of them.

The rotors look like a blunted sawblade with holes in them. Sort of a cross between a wavy marta rotor and a hope gothic rotor.

I'll post a picture later if people are interested. Oh yeah, their website doesn't have this rotor listed, I ordered if from my LBS. It was in their catalogue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The SP-II Rotor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Nice! How much?

I like the look. Now how much can I expect to pay?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think about $40-50us.

Lightweight Ghost Rider
    Are there a list of compatible calipers?? Very nice!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree....

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    I'm just wondering about stuttering brakes with those. There's little to no continuous braking surface. to run in a real circle. The pads see up and down with some rotation.
    Those do not look like they will perform very well. It looks like the brake surface jumps and its not a continuous brake surface. My marta SL rotors only weigh 108&107 and have had great luck out of those. What is the website for those rotors?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Knut
    Are there a list of compatible calipers?? Very nice!!
    The package says:

"Compatible with magura, hayes, shimano and most disc brake systems."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    I'm just wondering about stuttering brakes with those. There's little to no continuous braking surface. to run in a real circle. The pads see up and down with some rotation.
    Does varying the surface area change how much friction will be created? Would the pad presure just be higher on the smaller surface area and less on the larger surface area?

Anyhow, interesting point. When I get to use them, I'll post any problems (in about a week).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Which brake system will you be using on these? nm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll be using the rotors with Magura Marta brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My impressions of the rotor are...

Less braking power than the Magura (prewavy) disc...about 25%. I almost consider this a good thing as I found the Magura Marta brakes too grabby for my liking. I noticed more fade on long downhill portions compared to the stock 128gram rotor.

The pulsing that some posters were worried about did not happen. Smooth and controlled braking.

I think the rotor has nice esthetics, and are very light (95grams). I have not tried a Magura wavy rotor (104grams), but it would seem these Teppan Yaki SP-II rotors have some trade offs to achieve their light weight.

Lightweight Ghost Rider
    Still going strong or...?? Inquiring minds wants to know...

Lactic Acid is my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider
    Less braking power than the Magura (prewavy) disc...about 25%. I almost consider this a good thing as I found the Magura Marta brakes too grabby for my liking.
    That's funny. It reminds of a time I worked at a shop and a customer came in with scrapes and bruises on his arms. He wanted to buy some brakes that didn't stop very well. They were for his comfort bike, and I guess he flipped over his handlebars when he tried to stop on the bike path. he he he.... We sold him some springy mechanism that goes between the cable and the brake and he walked away happy. sheesh

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've used hayes hydos for years on my bikes, and I was not used to the one finger braking of the Marta's. The magura's modulate, but my fingers took a few rides to get the right pressure. I washed the front tire on a off camber dusty turn on my second ride during a race (a water bottle on the ground caught my eye and I must have grabbed some brakes): I haven't crashed like for a long time. I touched the brakes quite lightly...for hayes brakes....but apparently not for magura's. Anyhow, perhaps I am abit gunshy...my rotatorcuff still hurts from the crash.

The discs are still working well. No problems. Got some nice comments on their looks at Mt Baker's ski to sea race on sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by split
    That's funny. It reminds of a time I worked at a shop and a customer came in with scrapes and bruises on his arms. He wanted to buy some brakes that didn't stop very well. They were for his comfort bike, and I guess he flipped over his handlebars when he tried to stop on the bike path. he he he.... We sold him some springy mechanism that goes between the cable and the brake and he walked away happy. sheesh