mtbr member

80+ grams saving for $18

Yeti grips replaced by bar tape saves 55 grams
    SID canti studs replaced by nylon bolts saves 20 grams
    Water bottle bolts replaced by nylon bolts (only used as filler and not to hold cages) saves 8 grams
    Removed peeling stickers off of fork- 2 grams

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I really hope you don't use v-brakes mounted with nylon bolts.

mtbr member

brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by tim-
    i decided to not use front brakes for further weight savings...

just kidding of course-i'm running discs..

Please aim high!

brakes are for losers

Quote Originally Posted by tim-
    what good are brakes? they only slow you down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Yeti grips replaced by bar tape saves 55 grams
    Please tell me you are kidding.... That has to be rather uncomfortable, not to metion bad for your hands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Please tell me you are kidding.... That has to be rather uncomfortable, not to metion bad for your hands.
    How so? We all use Bar Tape on our road bikes, what makes a mountain bike any different. An MTB even has suspesion to dampen the trail. Personally I uese foam grips, but bar tape is pretty soft if you use enough of it.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member

actually

Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    i've found cork tape to be pretty comfortable, plus you can customize the width of your grips (and they come in cool colors). they haven't slipped on me yet and they've been through a few epics. they can probably tear after a hard crash but that's what duct tape is for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have a question about using bar tape...

When you have to install new brake levers or shifter pods, how do you do to get them into the handlebar?. You just remove the tape and then put it again with no hassle or there is another shortcut? If you have to remove all the tape, I think it`s better to have foam grips or something like that, at least they will come out in oce piece...

thanks a lot!
    bye

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fran
    When you have to install new brake levers or shifter pods, how do you do to get them into the handlebar?. You just remove the tape and then put it again with no hassle or there is another shortcut? If you have to remove all the tape, I think it`s better to have foam grips or something like that, at least they will come out in oce piece...

thanks a lot!
    bye
    good point. The bar tape went on my SS which has Hayes HFX9 Carbon brakes. The levers have a removable plate so you don't slide them on and off the bars (like Shimano units). I also have bar tape on my trail bike which has the same brakes and SRAM triggers which have the removable plate also...

Neg reppers r my biatches
    no doubt......now this is one change i simply cant comprehend as having positives outweighing negatives

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There you go...

and I have another question about this pork grinds grips. In case of a fall, do they dissapear or can take the abuse of that.

How much time is the lifespan of a set of those under normal MTB training and racing use?

thanks a lot!
    bye

mtbr member
    I use the cheap foam grips you buy at a dept. store (Target, Walmart, ect.). They work just as good as the more expensive Pork Rinds and weigh almost nothing. They even have the foam in lengths of about 16-18 inches and I cut them with a scissors to length, they only cost a few bucks, and you get about four grips out of a length. They only last a month or two, but so what? At about a .50 cents each that's fine w/ me. The best thing is they are very comfy, especially with a rigid fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0