Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Huckin' trails

70mm 101g ebay stem, can you find anything wrong with it ?

I'm just about to buy this stem off ebay.

Vivimax EMT2 Aluminum 7050 31 8 X 70mm Stem Black | eBay

Name:  $(KGrHqFHJF!FIp6o7(cuBSNqoY(yTg~~60_3.JPG
Views: 1055
Size:  27.0 KBName:  $(KGrHqJ,!lwFIVNWzdOUBSNqoZpD9w~~60_3.JPG
Views: 979
Size:  24.2 KB

$30, looks fast and solid, claimed 101g for 70mm.

I've been trying for two days to find something wrong with it or to convince myself it's too good to be true...

Thoughts ?

P.S. yeah I know you can get the UNO ultralight stems for a few grams and dollars less, but I find them butt ugly IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Looks good, but just cause it looks good doesn't mean its good. Read this article. obviously a different stem but still most likely manufactured in the same fashion. just something to think about.

Thomson Demonstrates Why You Should Watch Out for Counterfeit Parts

Thumper
    Looks like a winner to me. I'd get it if I was in the market for a 70mm stem.

60mm Uno weighs 117g

Huckin' trails
    Yeah I'm aware of counterfeit items, all FSA, RaceFace, Thomson, Easton, etc that are selling new for way too cheap are always a warning. I'm 120 with gear on an XC bike, so I could barely break a toothpick even if I tried haha. I'm just gonna go for it and see how it holds up. Thanks for the heads up
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Yeah at your weight im sure that stem would hold up fine. good luck!

Huckin' trails
    Thanks

And at my weight, 30 grams here and there makes quite a difference at the end of a two hours ride haha

Huckin' trails

Just pulled the trigger on one. Should get here somewhere in january. I'll report back later.

bike rider
    I run the UNO stems on all my XC bike and I replace the bolts with Ti. 80mm-87g and 70mm-79g. Not bad for $47 including 6 Torx25 Ti bolts.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    I run the UNO stems on all my XC bike and I replace the bolts with Ti. 80mm-87g and 70mm-79g. Not bad for $47 including 6 Torx25 Ti bolts.

That's pretty good IMO. At this time, it's still too onerous for me to swap bolts (beside stainless), but I was wondering how aluminum bolts would do ? Probably too easy to strip the head ?

mtbr member
    Even at your weight i think everyone on here would advise against that. Don't put aluminum bolts in high load bearing areas (stems, brakes, seats) Aluminum bolts are good for water bottle cages and plug off holes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    That's pretty good IMO. At this time, it's still too onerous for me to swap bolts (beside stainless), but I was wondering how aluminum bolts would do ? Probably too easy to strip the head ?
    I would not run alum. stem bolts even at your weight. If you do go there, I would wear a full face helmet and have an awesome dental plan.

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I would not run alum. stem bolts even at your weight. If you do go there, I would wear a full face helmet and have an awesome dental plan.
    Haha, and that's exactly why I also stay away from ultralight carbon stem faceplate.

I just swap for stainless most of my bolts and hardware since I ride all year round (winter is nasty here though) and it's about $0.20/each only. And if I want colored bolts, I just take my airbrush gun to it and voila ! I'd rather save the money for a lighter fork, pedals, chainring, etc.

Although my plan at first was to bring the bike down to ~26 pounds from when I bought it at 29.5lbs. But adding disc brakes, custom mudguard, wider bar, etc made it now at 30 pounds despite the carbon wheels with heavy brass nipples and hubs (rims are only 380g though, so acceleration is phenomenal).

So I should save over 100g with the new stem, a few more with the new seat post on it's way, a lot by switching to a 36g 30t RaceFace Narrow/Wide ring (and loosing the FD, 32t and 42t chainrings), etc.

Also I'm running DIY 26x2.1 studded folding tires with tubeless setup, so only 650g per tire (including the 116 studs), total was $45 for both tires and studs, so that helps a lot to keep the weight and cost down in winter.

I'll try to go for a ride today.

mtbr member
    Just not a fan of the face plate, 2 separate plates, with my SS style and 160lbs I may have an issue.

I went with the 70mm wcs 260 Ritchey. I doubt its any better (probably) same. I just like the feel good feeling of a 1 piece face plate.

dvn
    mtbr member
    I recently picked up one of these. 97 grams for an 80mm with Ti bolts. $29 shipped
    70mm 101g ebay stem, can you find anything wrong with it ?-hylix-stem.jpg
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

Huckin' trails
    Where did you find that Hylix ? I haven't seen their stuff around for quite a while now. I remember they had fairly good price/quality products for a Taiwan direct sale brand.

Ride Everything
    Anyone else find it ironic that the model name includes EMT?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Anyone else find it ironic that the model name includes EMT?
    If I was more familiar with the USA culture, maybe. For me it's just as banal as a Taiwan frame maker named Caribou or rim maker named Gigantex.

Ride Everything
    If I was more familiar with the USA culture, maybe. For me it's just as banal as a Taiwan frame maker named Caribou or rim maker named Gigantex.
    Personally, I wouldn't trust my teeth to a badge-engineered stem with EMT in the name.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Huckin' trails
    I was thinking more of EMT.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Where did you find that Hylix ? I haven't seen their stuff around for quite a while now. I remember they had fairly good price/quality products for a Taiwan direct sale brand.
    Ebay. Lots of Hylix products there. I picked up several items from the seller shown in this photo.
    70mm 101g ebay stem, can you find anything wrong with it ?-hulix-post.jpg
    > dbhammercycle

Huckin' trails

Just did a search for Hylix on eBay and found nada.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Just did a search for Hylix on eBay and found nada.
    Oh boy. Did you search items for sale by the seller shown in the photo like I suggested? He currently has 112 Hylix items. For example: Hylix Super Ultra Light Stem Road Mountain Bike 31 8mm 1 1 8" TI Bolts 99g | eBay
    > dbhammercycle

Huckin' trails

I'm sorry, for some reason, my computer won't show many listings and will often give me an error message regarding legal zone restrictions blocking the item, including my very own listing. I'm working on this with eBay since a week now.

I'll check from my phone instead. Thanks for the link.

Huckin' trails

I took a look at the 250ish Hylix items that showed up on my phone and beside the stem, there weren't any good deal on other things I needed and bought already like a riser bar and seatpost. The stem being sold with Ti bolts is kinda cool, but when you look at how much threads there is in the stem itself, it's ridiculously short. I'm still happy with the one I bought so far.

Huckin' trails

I received the stem today. Looks great, good quality build and finishing, graphics are well made and everything looks clean like a boutique one. There's a minor burr from the bore of the main body, but doesn't interfere and can be easily removed. My scale show the weight to be as claimed, 100g. However, there isn't much material to the body, walls are pretty thin and could lead to fatigue failure. Definitively scary if you are heavier than me haha. We shall see if the money and weight savings were worth it or not.

Face plate uses M4x18mm bolts with washers and steerer clamp uses M4x16mm bolts with washers too. Threads are all smooth and clean and there is plenty of material for the bolts to thread In. Has a certain cheap feel to it, mostly because of the two-pieces face plate, cheesy roadie graphics and thin walls, but otherwise well made and good powder coat.

I'll install maybe tonight and report after riding if I'm still alive

70mm 101g ebay stem, can you find anything wrong with it ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1388784764.695016.jpg
    70mm 101g ebay stem, can you find anything wrong with it ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1388784783.534882.jpg
    70mm 101g ebay stem, can you find anything wrong with it ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1388784799.302310.jpg
    70mm 101g ebay stem, can you find anything wrong with it ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1388784812.301672.jpg
    70mm 101g ebay stem, can you find anything wrong with it ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1388784826.387703.jpg
    70mm 101g ebay stem, can you find anything wrong with it ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1388784841.917170.jpg
    70mm 101g ebay stem, can you find anything wrong with it ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1388784865.170333.jpg
    Last edited by David C; 01-03-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast