Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Scott Spark 1x10 lefty 19.20lbs

Lime bucket to mach. So HERE IT IS!!! 2011 Scott Spark 10 frame Large '69er'...20.9 pounds as pictures, with heavy pedals!

Initially I got this bike used on ebay, converted to 1x10, did a overall in my garage ... sweet ride! .... but as we know the temptations are huge to go further and pursue our dream bike. I'm fairly cheap, refuse myself to spend stratospheric $$$$ for crazy light parts...so I try to find smart and cheap solutions with what I have in front of me. My goal is to hit 20lbs and you can help me if you have ideas.

before, opening the UPS box: 23.19lbs

Upgrades:
    -ZTR crest's 26er and 29er
    -Racing Ralph's TL
    -lefty carbon XLR 90mm 29er XL clamps - now I'm running with 100mm, one spacer out.
    -Project321 lefty adapter
    -Scrub's rotor 160/160 with china red bolts
    -Replaced the caliper's to Juicy Ultimate, had them in my garage in better cosmetic shape than the XX coming with the bike (levers are still XX)
    -Grip shift XX 10 speed on left side
    -Home made chainguide (46g)
    -MRP 36t chainring.
    -pedal boots
    -KMC X10SL Gold chain
    -new pulley set/inner cage

control center, all controled by left hand (rear susp remote is on right side)

Scrub's rotor with Juicy ultimate, need to upgrade the caliper bolts

Seatpost Ritchey 400mm (217.75g) + Fizik saddle (157.9) = 375.65g. I'm considering doing this to save some weight:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

new pulleys 14.45g/set

Homemade chainguide, 46g with clamp and bolt

Clean cockpit, with twinlock under the handlebar on the right

And finally, I'm undecided if I print the 21lbs sticker right now, or wait for later and use the 20lbs one.

....HAHA, almost forgot, now its ok for you the get jealous, my leg weight is 946g. That's why I still use the Shimano heavy pedals, is the easiest to take my prosthetic off so far...any ideas? Ritchey V5 might be as easy? I would save 123g to Ritchey's.

Last edited by andrepsz; 01-29-2014 at 04:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Very nice setup. Do you think you need the full shoe sole on the prosthetic? Might be able to shave a few grams from that heel! Would love to see some more details on the prosthetic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    that's actually a soft foam, for trails I like having surface area to step on rocks, climbing with the bike on my back....its important to keep it that way. That is a very light leg, no more room for more weight saving but on the bike I still have some more options! thanks
    Last edited by andrepsz; 04-12-2013 at 09:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Excellent build, well done!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Awesome. You must be able to spin at high cadence with such a light-weight prosthetic. I think that is the Pistorius Advantage...rotational inertia is greatly reduced....pretty big advantage on a bike. It would be interesting to see if you would be more efficient with higher cadence, because not a lot of people can keep it up. Sorta like the difference between a diesel and a gas motor and engine RPM. Maybe you wouldn't need as many gears because you are like the free revving, lightweight gas engine....like MotoGP.

mtbr member

I like the chain guide - looks professional. (Some homebrew stuff looks craptastic.)

You also get +37.5 points for finding a bucket that matches the color highlights on your bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    With new stem Ritchey 100mm 17degrees to compensate the angle after the 29er upgrade. Definitely an improvement during my rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by ginsu2k View Post
    Awesome. You must be able to spin at high cadence with such a light-weight prosthetic. I think that is the Pistorius Advantage...rotational inertia is greatly reduced....pretty big advantage on a bike. It would be interesting to see if you would be more efficient with higher cadence, because not a lot of people can keep it up. Sorta like the difference between a diesel and a gas motor and engine RPM. Maybe you wouldn't need as many gears because you are like the free revving, lightweight gas engine....like MotoGP.

Good analogy, my best is going UP ended! bike is light, I am light 147(67KG) but I'd say the rules are the same for us and able body people; the more endurance and athletic skills you have the better you'll perform out there. I don't really see any advantage spinning faster to be honest. I don't really want to bring it up Pistorius case for many reasons...like...I'm over it! its been the only subject every time someone talks to me and I support the idea and believe that he doesn't have advantages. Also.....bad and negative commercial lately! lets talks about my super bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I like the chain guide - looks professional. (Some homebrew stuff looks craptastic.)

You also get +37.5 points for finding a bucket that matches the color highlights on your bike.
    No chain drop at all so far, works really well! bucket was laying around from my daughter, what a destiny hum!? it was made for my bike!

mtbr member
    wow, i am very impressed
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Stay away from Ritchey V5 pedals and go with Xpedo's - I almost broke my ankle / have had tones of phantom pull outs on my V5's

If you still want some V5's I have a pair of new ones with only 10 rides on them I'll sell you for 20 bucks + shipping

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ---
    Last edited by andrepsz; 04-23-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: repetition

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    Stay away from Ritchey V5 pedals and go with Xpedo's - I almost broke my ankle / have had tones of phantom pull outs on my V5's

If you still want some V5's I have a pair of new ones with only 10 rides on them I'll sell you for 20 bucks + shipping

WOW...Xpedo's are even lighter than V5?!...that's nice.

The thing is; on my prosthetic side I NEED to release my leg easily. On my current shima's all I need to do is to spread my knees out and I'm off, I don't need to rotate my ankle as usual (I can't rotate with my prosthetic fast enough in case of panic). Do you believe I can do this with the V5 of Xpedo? I might be interested on your V5's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    dude... this is too awesome. especially WW on your last component.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    dude... this is too awesome. especially WW on your last component.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Did some some work lately, 77g shaved on the bike, and 109g on my ' Race day emergency kit' (C02+Tube Race day).

Here is a list of small jobs:

-Barend plugs ESI+Scott top cap+bolt (16g) TO all carbon plugs/ top cap with adapter for pump (15g); -1 (pictures below, I liked it!!!)
    -No StarNut; -10
    -Grip change from ESI 'Chunky' (60g) to ESI Racer's Edge" (50g); -10
    -Twinloc(47g)+cable(5.30g)+housing(22.45g)=(75g) to Twinloc (43)+Alligator(14g) and shorter cable (61.3); -13.7
    -XO crankarm drive side sanding; -10
    -XO crankarm non drive side sanding; -10
    -Ritchey stem original boltset (6 total) (23g) to Ti bolts (12g); -11
    -Look bottle cage sanding; -2
    -Ritchey Seatpost bolts (14) to Torx ti bolts pair (5) -9
    TOTAL shaved: 77g

EMERGENGY KIT RACE DAY

BEFORE
    -Tube (173g)+Velcros(3g); 176g
    -Big Air 40g Co2+holder/zip ties; 99g
    -Tire levers; 20g
    Total=295g

AFTER
    -Continental Supersonic Tube 26x1.9-2.1mm (87g) + bag(6g); 93g
    -Innovations Fat20 Co2 20g + rubber cover; 73g
    -Tire levers; 20g
    total=186g

total shaved: 109g

new topcap full carbon with American classic tubeless valve cut to thread onto CO2 adapter

Removing the Star Nut I have full clearance to fit the C02, fitting is perfect!

For everyday use off race, Topeak Micro Rocket Carbon Pump fits perfect on 1/18 steertube

Co2 setup is heavier

New tube much smaller too

tire levers fits perfect on slot originaly made for the "Fizik plastic logo"

Since It was very hard to find on-line the Twinloc 'real' weight, here it is.

I removed the blue lever for the front susp, my lefty is the XLR.

Plugs Before

Plugs After

Tube under the saddle

mtbr member
    Now that is some true weight weenie action! Where did you shave the crank arms? Will taking out the star nut have any negative effects?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

69er Scott Spark <21lbs

Just took the clear coat out of crank arms, they were used anyways and quite ugly spots. As I have a lefty fork, the upper lefty clamp plus stem bolts are already a solid tight. Star nut is unnecessary
    Last edited by andrepsz; 07-05-2013 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    would an xx1 crank save you any weight? Supposedly with the xx1 rings you wouldnt need the chain guide. Alternately a wolf tooth ring.

Neither are cheap though..

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

69er Scott Spark <21lbs

Wolthtooth 36t it's on my 'To Do' list, still not available! It will save 16g from mrp 36t and less 46g from chain guide. But I'm still a little skeptical about the complete drop stop effect, perhaps with a xtr shadow plus rear der would assist the ring?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

69er Scott Spark &lt;21lbs

I was just now out for a ride test....nasty and rocky down hills,Co2 stayed tight inside, no play.... and I even helped a random guy in need of a pump...solved his problem in 1min and back to the ride!

69er Scott Spark &lt;21lbs-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21373069395.421975.jpg
    Last edited by andrepsz; 07-05-2013 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    That's awesome. Great post.

mtbr member

Re: 69er Scott Spark &lt;21lbs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Love it!
    Mostly I want to know where I can get some cool custom stickers for my ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

69er Scott Spark &lt;21lbs

?? totally into the topic! Lol. I like to spend time working on Corel Draw 11 making stickers as well.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast