mtbr member
    May 2004

4 screw stem and a carbon bar

I am considering a Syntace F99 stem and an Easton EC70 bar for XC use. Bad idea? Syntace has a disclaimer on their site stating something about how 4 screw stems are "unfriendly" towards normal handlebars.

Got an insight? Thanks

mtbr member
    I am using Easton's Monkeylite SL, with a FSA stem which has a 4 bolt face plate. It shouldnt be of any real concern, just be sure to torque it to the proper specs, and do up all 4 bolts evenly.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.

mtbr member

Syncros stem

Syncros has a nice looking stem specifically designed for clamping carbon bars, FLS factory stem. Only comes in 31.8 clamp and is probably heavier than what you want. Gives you a four bolt face plate for stiffness with stress relief design of an easton stem.

nightriding is fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTo
    I am considering a Syntace F99 stem and an Easton EC70 bar for XC use. Bad idea? Syntace has a disclaimer on their site stating something about how 4 screw stems are "unfriendly" towards normal handlebars.

Got an insight? Thanks
    Logic would indicate that with a four-bolt stem forces are more evenly spread than with a 2bolt design, or am I missing something..

In any case, Extralite have an ultralight 4-bolt stem/carbon bar combo but do recommend also great care should be taken on proper torque whilst tightening the bolts.
    Titanium or Bust !