11 is one louder than 10

31.8 Thomson stem, new design, 178 grams

Weighed this baby on the digital scale. 178 grams, with all bolts. 120mm x 0 rise. 31.8 clamp. Just as stiff as a regular thomson. If you want stiffness and weight savings, a very nice alternative. The 31.8 carbon 1 inch (less than that) titec carbon bars were 140 grams (had some). Only bummer in the photo, the FSA xc 190 bars, were 220 grams. FSA didn't seem to care. However, very nice stem. Different clamp, but pretty knee friendly still.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Very cool new stem. It still is a bit heavy though. I liked how the pinch type bolt looked better. Whats the cost of this new version?
    Herro prease

11 is one louder than 10

weight

Yeah, for the ultra weight weenies it's a tad heavy, but for those of us above 170lbs, or 200 for sure, it's about as light as I'd feel comfortable on. But if you look at it with one of those titec, or bontrager 31.8 carbon bars... 320 for a stem bar combo isn't bad. Plus this will be plenty stiff, AND those bars are 26 inches wide, cut them down and you could probably be in the 300 neighborhood. Personally, I don't care a whole heck of a lot about weight, but for those that do...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

one question...

Green Giant, if you don't mind me asking, where did you acquire such a stem? Thanks, John.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hard to believe its not on their website.

That's weak.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

where and how much?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant
    Weighed this baby on the digital scale. 178 grams, with all bolts. 120mm x 0 rise. 31.8 clamp. Just as stiff as a regular thomson. If you want stiffness and weight savings, a very nice alternative. The 31.8 carbon 1 inch (less than that) titec carbon bars were 140 grams (had some). Only bummer in the photo, the FSA xc 190 bars, were 220 grams. FSA didn't seem to care. However, very nice stem. Different clamp, but pretty knee friendly still.
    Nice setup. I'm "only" 165 but was thinking of using a C3 31.8 bar (given to me) so the Thomson stem is a good option.
    178 g.... some say that's heavy but isn't that lighter than a regular Thomson 120x5? I thought it was 200 grams.

mtbr member
    Another option is the Syntace Superforce stem. It is also 178g (a little over the claimed weight of 169g) for 120 x 6. The ti bolt kit will take off another 10g. Not super light, but pretty good considering it is thicker than my bike's downtube. I also noticed on the Syntace site that they have a new stem called the f139, that has a claimed weight about 30g over the f99, and is half the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On MTBR hiatus :(
    That's quite impressive compared to my 213g Titec RIP stem.

It looks like the 31.8 standard is going to stick around -- Giant indicated to me that most of their upper end '05 bikes would feature it -- but will the 1" bars maintain their presence as the choice of racers and gram counters?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    That's quite impressive compared to my 213g Titec RIP stem.

It looks like the 31.8 standard is going to stick around -- Giant indicated to me that most of their upper end '05 bikes would feature it -- but will the 1" bars maintain their presence as the choice of racers and gram counters?
    I screwed up my beloved titec 118 (I know, I know: not a real 118 grams, but anyway...) and Titec is kindly giving me 50% off retail any new bar. They have a C3 31.8 carbon bar that is right in line with others, and lighter/just as strong as anything else. Only reason I'm thinking of it is cuz Titec won't get any 118s for months and months (fall, they said).

11 is one louder than 10

RIP stem, original thomson

Yeah, my original RIP stem while looking nice was 240 grams. I do have a brand new RIP stem and c3 1.5 bar combo I may be selling. The NEW RIP stems are a very reasonable 188 grams. The bars are 170 and wider than my xc-190's.

My 120 x 5 thomson is 204 grams. I really like the 0 rise option now with 4 inch forks and riser bars. Only bummer is I had just acquired a Titec Ti Hellion bar that I did like, but it's a standard clamp. Overall I like the 31.8 package better. May sell off the Hellion, not sure yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, my original RIP stem while looking nice was 240 grams. I do have a brand new RIP stem and c3 1.5 bar combo I may be selling. The NEW RIP stems are a very reasonable 188 grams. The bars are 170 and wider than my xc-190's.

My 120 x 5 thomson is 204 grams. I really like the 0 rise option now with 4 inch forks and riser bars. Only bummer is I had just acquired a Titec Ti Hellion bar that I did like, but it's a standard clamp. Overall I like the 31.8 package better. May sell off the Hellion, not sure yet.
    Is your RIP the 188 gram one or the "other"?
    If you were to sell the C3 1.5 bar/RIP combo, what were you looking to get?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Green Giant where did you find that stem?

get down!
    it's a road stem
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

11 is one louder than 10

Nope, it's a mtn stem...

... though it could be used either way. It's the X4 comes all the way down to a 70mm length. When was the last time you saw a 70mm road stem?

Jed Peters
    ... though it could be used either way. It's the X4 comes all the way down to a 70mm length. When was the last time you saw a 70mm road stem?
    Today, on my wife's bike.

bang
    thats a nice looking stem. i wonder if it comes in a 25.4 diameter for standard bars? or how much it will cost for that matter...

11 is one louder than 10

Point taken

Sure, there are a few folks using short road stems. Anyways, it's intended use is mountain, and my understanding is it will not be done in a 25.4 clamp this year. Currently 0 and 10deg rises. Pricing should be in line with current thomson stems. and availabilty should be soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ah, greengiant has an inside source. I love those. I'm actually planning on putting one on my bike this week (100mm by 0deg) but was asking just incase I decided on a different length. Didn't think they were available yet, guess they still arent.

Chrome Toaster
    These stems are already listed on the Thomson website but the diagrams don't show the new design yet.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    These aren't the Masterpiece series are they?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I screwed up my beloved titec 118 (I know, I know: not a real 118 grams, but anyway...) and Titec is kindly giving me 50% off retail any new bar. They have a C3 31.8 carbon bar that is right in line with others, and lighter/just as strong as anything else. Only reason I'm thinking of it is cuz Titec won't get any 118s for months and months (fall, they said).
    How did you damage your 118?

Trevor

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Bonking ... not feelin' well The F139 is an OE stem.

However, the F-111 (a 31.8) stem will be available in 4-6 months.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaybee
    How did you damage your 118?

Trevor
    My fault. I cut it down (mistake #1) and then put bar ends on but the BERT slipped. Crimped it (mistake #2).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Syntace update

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    However, the F-111 (a 31.8) stem will be available in 4-6 months.
    Yes its true we (Syntace) will have the F139 available soon. Originally we were not going to offer this stem in the US but have noticed that there is a demand. The F-139 will fall right in between the F-99 and the SuperForce. I don't have a retail price yet but I will let you all know as soon as we get them here in the US!

As for the F111, the 31.8 version. It is being tested as we speak in Germany. After it goes through its paces over there it will take 80 or so days to get into production and then we will have them here in the US!

Rock on!
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Yes its true we (Syntace) will have the F139 available soon. Originally we were not going to offer this stem in the US but have noticed that there is a demand. The F-139 will fall right in between the F-99 and the SuperForce. I don't have a retail price yet but I will let you all know as soon as we get them here in the US!

As for the F111, the 31.8 version. It is being tested as we speak in Germany. After it goes through its paces over there it will take 80 or so days to get into production and then we will have them here in the US!

Rock on!
    Skip

thanks for the update. when you say the F-139 will fall right between the F-99 and the superforce, I assume you are referring to the weights. How will it compare to the F-99 and the Superforce in regards to strength and stiffness?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike
    Skip

thanks for the update. when you say the F-139 will fall right between the F-99 and the superforce, I assume you are referring to the weights. How will it compare to the F-99 and the Superforce in regards to strength and stiffness?
    Hey Mike,
    You are correct the F-139 will weight in at 137grams (105mm)where the F-99 weighs 106 grams(105mm) and the SuperForce weighs 159 grams(105mm) so it falls right in between. Remember all of these stems can loose 10 grams with a Ti Bolt kit as well.

The F-139 is made out of 2014 alloy, resulting in a very strong stem that keeps it weight low!

To quote Bubba's KX125 as it motors away from all the 4 strokes BRRAAAAPPPP!!!!!
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    It's a crap design for anyone using a steel steerer(ie. me - rigid steel IF No travel)..... what was wrong with the old setup(too expensive to manufacture?)