mtbr member

29er Full-suspension bare frame weight

I read that a medium Cannondale Scalpel 29er carbon is about 4.6 pounds. My Trek dealer told me that the new Superfly 100 Elite frame is under 5 pounds. The Scott Spark is about 4.4? What other sub-5 pound full suspension 29er frames are out there? Thanks.

mtbr member
    What does the Giant carbon frame weight? Probably just over 5 lb, wonder if they will make an advanced version next year?

What does the S-Works frame weigh? My guess would be that is under 5lb, but how much under. May be the only other sub 5lb FS 29er frame.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Man, the Spark 29 RC frame listed weight is astounding, 1850 grams? Probably could use a better shock than the DT Swiss Nude. Not sure what the difference is between it and the Scott Spark 29 Pro frame which is listed at 1999 grams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Man, the Spark 29 RC frame listed weight is astounding, 1850 grams? Probably could use a better shock than the DT Swiss Nude. Not sure what the difference is between it and the Scott Spark 29 Pro frame which is listed at 1999 grams.

Carbon rear triangle I believe is the difference.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

Santa Cruz Tallboy C

I weighed 2 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon frames, size LARGE.
    The blue painted version was 5lbs 3oz.
    The matte black version was 5lbs even.
    I could see the medium size matte black being under 5lbs.

mtbr member
    My shop tells me that Bianchi is coming out with a new full suspension, the Methanol FS 29. It's listed at 1970 grams, nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    What does the Giant carbon frame weight? Probably just over 5 lb, wonder if they will make an advanced version next year?

What does the S-Works frame weigh? My guess would be that is under 5lb, but how much under. May be the only other sub 5lb FS 29er frame.
    Not sure if this helps but I have a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 29. I upgraded the cassette and crankset to XO gear (XG1080) and 39/26T XO cranks. The rest of the bike is stock.

The bike weighs in at 12.715kg without pedals. Size XL.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29er Full-suspension bare frame weight-img00637-20120907-1711.jpg  

mtbr member
    Isn't the Specialized Epic S-Works below 5lbs? That Bianchi looks very similar to the Chinese carbon 29er f/s bikes.

mtbr member
    Generally the single-pivot carbon fiber frames are going to be able to go under 5 pounds. I don't have bare frame numbers for the S-Works Epic but since its stock form is 22 and some change, and the Olympic champ rides his at 20.9 pounds, it's a safe bet to say the frame is under 5lb.

Frames that I know are above 5 pounds are the "trail bike" style with an efficient, but heavier frame design, such as the Niner Jet 9 RDO (5.4lb), Giant Anthem X 29er, and Santa Cruz Tallboy (5.5lb).
    Last edited by chomxxo; 10-11-2012 at 05:21 PM.