Recovering couch patato

29" bike size 22". Geared, 8.5-8.6kg now

Much the same spec as in the pic, now with a 9spd alu cassette, stan's rims, Soul-Kozak rear hub, Planet-X disc front (but used with same V brakes).
    I've got ca 600g Specialized Fast Trak 29x2.0's (huge) mounted tubeless on the older style 390g Stan's ZTR rims. Stupid light rear hub and spokes (Revos). I know, I know...but I was cheap.
    Bathroom scale says 8.5-8.6kg, which seems right in Excel (8631g including tire air and grease). Pictured as Singlespeed it was 50-100g heavier actually, due to more basic wheels.

My cheap old digiam refuses, so no new pic. Imagine an Ultegra derailer on there and a SRAM Rocket. Oh, and a Rohloff guide where a front derailer would go.

My previous lightest fat tire bike was a VooDoo 26", with 595g fork and sub-400g tires, 8.7kg
    My CX racer (Zipp Carbon tubular wheels) once hit 8.2kg, now 8.7kg.
    Somewhere this season the Cube bike will match that 8.2, but obviously with much thicker tires.

Some specs :
    Fork - WaltWorks Proto, extra light tubing. 470x43mm, incl starnut, 849g
    Frame - Cube proto, 22", Triple Butted 7005, 73/72 angles, Ti canti studs, 1750g
    Seat - Limited edition Cube 10 Year Anniversary, by AX Lightness, 124g
    Rear wheel - Soul-Kozak non-disc, DT Revo's, Stan's ZTR355 : 735g
    Front wheel - Planet-X Dog, DT Comps, Stan's ZTR355 : 813g
    Handlebar - Salsa Motoace cut ~625mm : 185g!!
    Alu cassette - some have broken this type, ouch : 115g
    Seatpost - Thomson 410x31.6mm : 236g
    Chain - SRAM PC-971 106 links to be ready for 11-32 cassette : 273g
    Brake Levers : XT with alu bolts and removed adjuster bolts : 157g
    Brakes : Vuelta's with alu bolt kit all-in : 242g.
    RD : Ultegra with some alu bolts and removed barrel : 209g

Planned upgrades :
    - 380mm USE Alien alu with Cyclops clamp : 190g (-46g)
    - Soul-Kozak/Stan's front wheel : 600g (-213)
    - Kenda Karma 29x2.2" tires : 1060g (-140g)
    - Stan's The Cros rear tire : 500g (-30g)
    - Salsa ProMoto Carbon 660x11º : 140g (-45g)
    - Maybe sometime ti axles for my TwinTi's (-45g)
    - Maybe a KMC X10 SL : 230g (-43g)
    - Bottle cage : +68g (gonna do that right now, will be a hard day tomorrow otherwise.)
    - Some other top ring for my FA headset. This one's solid and 33g. I want a lower one, who knows what to order?

I have not even rolled the bike. No idea whether the tubeless setup will hold. The front didn't leak a single drop of the 60g moldbuilder mix I put in there. The rear needed a gas station compression to inflate, and as I had already tried with soap, it was a bit of a mess. Seems to hold, for now.
    Tomorrow, a race! My first running event in 2 decades, a Run-Bike-Run over 4-10-2km. If I do okay, I'm done within the hour. Hoping for 55min actually, with this bike surely I have to beat last year's fastest bike-split?
    The bike as pictured was also built the night before Oct 30th it won me my 2nd Dutch SS title. Believe, it rocks. Nothing faster on tight singletrack. Mostly due to a minor design "mistake" on my part in the frame :-) Really it was supposed to be more alround.

Enough blah, need to go to sleep now. Hoping for to have a big latex party tomorrow, I want to finish nicely and am really stupid to even try this setup. Then, better to try now than when the MTB season starts...

Happy trails,

J

PS. I aimed for a 10% bike weight this year. Meaning, bike 10% of me. For some reason I'm getting lighter and lighter lately. Lowest ever this morning, 78.9kg. Weird. Haven't done much training, and eating my normal dose of pizza/beer/chips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    UPDATE

Wow, the bike held up! All I adjusted was raise the seat 1cm (it lowered on the last ride in Oct, and I never corrected.).
    Tires keep air reasonably, not superbly. But did ride superbly. Man does this bike fly!
    After the 4km I was too wasted to really pedal agressive to notice the light wheels, but it handles at least as light as my lightest 26" bike ever (see above).
    The Fast Trak are already more than decent tires tubed, and tubeless they just are a step better.

The 4km I finished around 18th or so, on the 10km bike ride I overtook some 10 people, and I finished a lone 8th. Although, my final 2km run was really conservative (lazy, didn't feel like causing cramps/pain) so a group of runners was right behind me at the finish line. I just never looked back all race. 53min total, not bad, 3rd recreational rider, the other 5 were professional <18 triathlon athletes.

This Run-Bike-Run thing is FUN! In a painful way, much like Cyclo-Cross. Man do you feel crap on bumpy singletrack right after the transition! Legs feel much like in the last hour of a marathon. No explosive power left, but also no exceptional pain. Hard to go fast, at least to me, didn't reach heart rates I planned.
    Good thing those recreational triathletes can't ride a bike. At least the ones I managed to catch up with. No-one overtook me on the bike ride, can't wait to see my split times. The winner may have been a bit faster, not being held up on the first lap's singletracks. I even had a lady passing me in the first transition. Many seemed to prefer toe clips over swapping shoes. I found it well worth the 5-10s extra transition time to swap shoes, the ~27min bike ride sure asks for good shoes.

And to think that I've got some upgrades planned to make it even lighter!

Sorry to bore you.

J

freak of nature

Nice !

Nice bike Cloxxki !

And amazingly light too for that size of frame and wheels. And a very good choice of components too !

Do you feel the wheels are stiff enough ? Because they're larger and lighter than most regular MTB rims ? I don't know, just by curiosity.

Have fun riding it !

Jean-Sebastien
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    WHATT??? Specialized fast trak tires? I thought those sucked.... peabody?

seriously how are they for 29ers

Recovering couch patato
    A guy in today's regular MTB race had Fast Traks, the most expensive kind, and flatted. He did say he liked them for their cornering there.

Wheels and sizes, people think too hard about that sometimes. No these wheels aren't super stiff. Of course noot, it's 390g rims with light spokes and 700c. If you're concerned about wheel stiffness, simply add 4 spokes per wheels. A whopping 20g. Stan's rims don't come in 36h (try convince them...) so what can I do. You can get 36h Velocity VXC Disc rims, 460g each. Will provide the same stiffness as a 26"/32h setup.
    Someday someone will make an XC-light wider hub. Why only 135mm? 5mm more than the road, while our cranks' Q-factor differs by much more. Flanges need to be wider spaced anyway, and especially for 29" it would help.

The rear wheel didn't feel rock solid, but also not as bad as I feared. It's a wheel, and it rides. The bike s way light, especially the front. Grip was very good, rolling speed better than I'm used to from 29", I haven't ridden a goo setup with it before.
    Too bad my legs were too shot from the 4km run to take any advantage from it. I was 3rd fastest rider, by a to me acceptable margin, considering the traffic I had to pass through after my weak run.
    I like Run-Bike-Run, am gonna do it again, and be much much better. Experienced MTB'ers have a definate advantage on the ride like runners have on the run.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    that second run is painful though eh? I agree they are fun though

Recovering couch patato
    1st run : 18th
    bike : 3rd time (newbie with traffic)
    2nd run : 28th time :-)

Still 8th overall. I suck. It's fun.

My Fast Trak 29x2.0's are around 600g each, not heavy for their size. They're huge. Bigger than some 2.3's.
    They feel as fast as steel Nano's to me, just waaaay better cornering, and more comfortable.

For this type of riding 29" is very well suited. as you climb on the bike in a very weird mental and fysical trip, it's good to have a bike that actually holds a line. In traffic (runners that can't ride) it was nice to be able to take stupid lines to pass them, even with my rigid bike. I lacked the leg power to time the passing better, so when the moment was there, it had to happen.
    And I will never lose the joy of ignoring other people brake points and just make corners they can't. This also happens with non-runners BTW :-)

I didn't manage the funding to become an F1 driver, but I can own and ride a 29" bike. Next best thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

bh..............

Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    WHATT??? Specialized fast trak tires? I thought those sucked.... peabody?

seriously how are they for 29ers

didn't we have this discussion already? you do NOT run specialized in house stuff unless
    you ride a specialized bike, it is just wrong. the people that i know that get all warm n
    fuzzy over their in house stuff are mainly MBA, that magazine is a complete joke, i just
    laugh the whole time i am looking through it. so go ahead and luv all things specialized
    and know that you are in great company with perhaps the greatest mtb magazine out
    there! ha ha ha. yeah love how that magazine still lists weights in oz's, what a joke.
    oh those tires do suck, heavy n slow compared to the new karmas. maybe all right
    for a single speed, but not a xc race tire.

Recovering couch patato
    Haha, I was under the impression that some of their in-house stuff is actually very usable, contrary to their bikes. I got these tires for free, only thing I ever bought from them was tubes, and those were fine.

Waiting on my Karma's. But per mm of width, those will not be lighter than FT's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    so am i burning in hell cuz I got a swwwweeeeet set of Bontrager race lite wheels (the awesome ceramic ones with king rebranded hubs) for my vintage Specialized ultimate?

ha, by the way fairly light and AWESOME wheels

PS MBA sucks ballz, its like the tabloid of mountain bike magazines

Recovering couch patato
    I meant to say that for their width, FT's aren't heavy. You get extra cushion and grip, which are welcome on any bike, and at a minute weight penalty over Karma's. Yes I'm dieing to try the Karma to see how much grip and cushion I can live without, and save weight and gain speed. After that, hopefully a NoTubes The Crow as a rear too! Similar but much lower tread, and stronger tubeless-specific beads.

600g for a 52mm wide (actual) knobby tire, which translates to a 26" 540g one. Not too bad really, especially as so far they hold up nicely tubeless (which I don't advise anyone to try).

Members who have read this thread: 0