mtbr member

270 grams loss for $20 ...

I realized that I have not had a flat in two years (at least) and that I am still going around with a pump + tube + levers ... so, off they go saving a bit more than half a pound in the process (and lots of space in my Camel Back).
    270 grams loss for  ...-img_0711.jpg
    270 grams loss for  ...-img_0713.jpg

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Thx for sharing. I went through a similar excercise a while back, and I was carrying some really stupid stuff, like a vice grip.

You're definitely saving by not carrying the tube, and I've heard people have had decent luck with the bacon strips. For reference, lightest tube I've found is this Maxis flyweight @ 100g:

Name:  IMG_1027.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  36.1 KB

The only choice I made (for non-race, long trips) was around the pump. I found that my one-shot CO2 combo was only 5g lighter than a Lezyne pump, so I opted for its unlimited use:

Name:  IMG_1340.JPG
Views: 765
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1344.JPG
Views: 765
Size:  43.7 KB

...then I added 2 of these plastic levers which isn't too bad @22g, but if you feel you can ditch them entirely in your case, even better:

Name:  IMG_1033.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  37.6 KB

MTB B'dos
    That's fantastic, UNTIL you get several flats during a ride, then that 1 canister ain't going to be worth crap and you'll be wishing you had your never ending supply of air your pump provided
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yep, or if you get a slow leak sealant can't totally block.

I've gotten back to the car by just stopping to pump a few times on the way, so I didn't have to deal with taking the tire off etc

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    LOL. I still carry TWO tubes and a pump. Haven't used one in a while, and last time I did it was for a buddy...but...still. If you like to ride away from civilization ( or just far from your car), I can't imagine not having a tube. I would say more flats won't seal with sealant and a plug than will. I guess it depends on where you ride, how hard you ride and your tolerance for a walk with your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    That's fantastic, UNTIL you get several flats during a ride, then that 1 canister ain't going to be worth crap and you'll be wishing you had your never ending supply of air your pump provided
    As I mentioned: I have not had a flat in two years with the current bike/tires, it is a bit unlikely I will suddenly have "several" during a ride. And I wonder how a tube would fair with multiple sharp thingies in the tire ... Plus my rides are all loops below the 2 hours mark, so even a hike out is not a tragedy (hey! I can finally look around!).

Thank you Phlegm, the weight weenie tube alternative is indeed the Lezyne pump but I would add a Tubolito tube. I am waiting for the 42 grams version of the Tubolito and it might end up in my pack with the 22 grams levers!!!!!! Add a 20 grams canister (that has 10 grams weight penalty in repect to the depicted 16 grams but it is good for two tires at low pressure) and even without a pump you would be quite well protected ...

So Anyway: either the current air canister 83 grams solution (although it might be 84: I forgot the duct Tape!!!), or the CO2 inflator + Tubolito or Lezyne pump + Tubolito (below 150 grams) the saving from my previous 353 grams is nice!

270 grams loss for  ...-s-l1600.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I carry....NOTHING. I walk and that's all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Maybe I read it wrong but I thought he said he opted for the unlimited air supply (pump) and the 5 extra grams.

I'll have to put it on a scale but I think my little blackburn airstik mini-pump is listed at ~60 grams and it works great.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    LOL. Why even carry a multi-tool?
    FYI I have a frame pump on my road bike and get laughed at until someone needs to fix a flat with there crappy mini pump. Everyone has a different different level of acceptable risk. I ride to the several miles to the trail and haven't had to walk home ever.
    Racing is different and I only carry the minimum kit. It's short loops for the most part though.

270 grams loss for  ...-20170626_123811_zpssvtuwlta.jpg
    270 grams loss for  ...-20170828_190035.jpg
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    FYI I have a frame pump on my road bike and get laughed at until someone needs to fix a flat with there crappy mini pump.

Hey, my crappy mini-pump works great, especially considering it only gets used a few times a year and usually on someone else's bike

Anyway I'll take my crappy pump over a co2 cartridge but I guess either will do in a pinch.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Hey, my crappy mini-pump works great, especially considering it only gets used a few times a year and usually on someone else's bike

Anyway I'll take my crappy pump over a co2 cartridge but I guess either will do in a pinch.
    Great is relative. Most good mini pumps take 150-200 strokes to get up to pressure. My frame pump takes less than 50.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    As I mentioned: I have not had a flat in two years with the current bike/tires, it is a bit unlikely I will suddenly have "several" during a ride. And I wonder how a tube would fair with multiple sharp thingies in the tire ... Plus my rides are all loops below the 2 hours mark, so even a hike out is not a tragedy (hey! I can finally look around!).

Thank you Phlegm, the weight weenie tube alternative is indeed the Lezyne pump but I would add a Tubolito tube. I am waiting for the 42 grams version of the Tubolito and it might end up in my pack with the 22 grams levers!!!!!! Add a 20 grams canister (that has 10 grams weight penalty in repect to the depicted 16 grams but it is good for two tires at low pressure) and even without a pump you would be quite well protected ...

So Anyway: either the current air canister 83 grams solution (although it might be 84: I forgot the duct Tape!!!), or the CO2 inflator + Tubolito or Lezyne pump + Tubolito (below 150 grams) the saving from my previous 353 grams is nice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	1165452
    The Tubolito is a great find. That could really change the game with tires if it can hold up to a beating of rock, roots, and snake bites.

How is the Tubolito? Does it leak slowly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just FYI the Tubolito isn't sold in the US market as of yet. They will be hopefully sometime in 2018.

I will definitely be getting 2 of these not because of how light they are but because it opens a lot more room in my hip pack.
    My bike is all tricked out. It has pedals, a handle bar, a seat and two wheels! H8tRs gunna H8t!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpin View Post
    Just FYI the Tubolito isn't sold in the US market as of yet. They will be hopefully sometime in 2018.

I will definitely be getting 2 of these not because of how light they are but because it opens a lot more room in my hip pack.
    You can order from Europe, for example https://www.bike-components.de/en/tu...5-Tube-p59563/ or https://r2-bike.com/TUBOLITO-Tube-29...eight-SV-42-mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Yes, I'm well aware of that but I don't consider buying an inner tube from overseas worth the extra cost in shipping.

The inner tube is already hefty in price and I think most of us would prefer to wait until it hits the US and save a few.
    My bike is all tricked out. It has pedals, a handle bar, a seat and two wheels! H8tRs gunna H8t!

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpin View Post
    Yes, I'm well aware of that but I don't consider buying an inner tube from overseas worth the extra cost in shipping.

The inner tube is already hefty in price and I think most of us would prefer to wait until it hits the US and save a few.
    In some cases the exchange can really help you out, and your actual price is a bit lower when they remove the VAT (price is shown with VAT). You are right about the shipping though. The first shop charges 20 EUR and R2-bike charges 25 EUR - even for a single tube. Ouch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    In some cases the exchange can really help you out, and your actual price is a bit lower when they remove the VAT (price is shown with VAT). You are right about the shipping though. The first shop charges 20 EUR and R2-bike charges 25 EUR - even for a single tube. Ouch.
    Yes, VAT is 18-22% so you do get a discount ... but I am not sure why they charge so much for shipment. It is probably a mistake, for a small item like this it should be less than 10$, Garbaruk just shipped me an oval chainring from Ukraine for $6 ... might be worth asking them ...

mtbr member
    Received today my tubolito from bike24.

270 grams loss for  ...-img_20171207_101954325.jpg

270 grams loss for  ...-img_20171207_101708246.jpg

1 gram less :P

Very compact to put it as a spare tube in my speedslesv

270 grams loss for  ...-img_20171207_175830449.jpg

Maromero
    And how about this one, supposed to be available this month. https://r2-bike.com/TUBOLITO-Tube-27...Light-SV-42-mm