mtbr member

25lb Blur = BOAT ANCHOR!

I started out with a 25lb classic blur, of which I posted specs here long ago, but the frame cracked. Turned out to be a defective '03 large frame. It broke at the seat tube/just above the bb shell junction. Anyway, I send it back for a warranty replacement and decide I want to pay an upcharge and upgrade to a Blur XC. Great! But wait, (litterally) SC's bike are always backordered. So I wait....

In the meantime, a really generous kind friend lets me borrow his Litespeed Classic roadie, so I start commuting on that, and doing some lunchtime group rides. All is good. It's got a mix of dura-ace and ultegra stuff on it, very nice. 19lb, not light for a roadbike, but I don't care. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth! It felt very strange when I first started riding it, but I really got used to it (narrow Q factor, shorter crank arms, hunched over riding positon, etc...)

Now I get my Blur XC frame and build it back up. The Blur XC is a disk only frame so I've got new wheels (XTR/717) with hope brakes, dt adapters, etc. I'm happy, but damn- it feels like such a freakin' boat anchor now... I'm a 190~200lb rider, and I have limited finacial resources, so I know I'm never going to build a wicked light WW bike, but man, going from a road bike back to a mtn bike hurts. What I once thought was a respectable wieght for a FS rig, now feels super heavy. I used to feel that it was quick and nice, now it feels slow and sluggish... I've yet to get back on a trail, I have a couple loose ends to tie up first, but I hope I feel better about it when I get back on dirt.

So, here's the build so far:
    SC Blur XC - Large
    Manitou Minute 2 - (hoping to get an '07 Fox F100RLC)
    Deore FD (need to get a XTR M960 before the sell out)
    XO RD
    X9 triggers (need XO triggers)
    the previously mentioned XTR/717 centerlock disk wheels
    KMC chain (x9 o something like that, don't remember ottomh)
    FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue crankset with FSA chainrings
    FSA Platinum Pro Ti BB (now called mega quad, I think? 4 rows of bearings)
    XT 11-32 cassette with dura ace lockring
    Hope Mono Mini brakes, 160f - 140r
    Dura Ace cable housing, don't remember what inner cables though...
    Easton EC70 post, EC70 low rise bars
    stem- TBD, borrowing a 90mm azonic from a friend, but I think it's too short. When I decide what length I want, I'll get either a syntace, FSA, or Bontrager WCS (I ran a 120mm on my classic blur).
    FSA orbit extreme headset
    IRC Mibro tires, 2.25f, 2.1r, but I have Mibro for Marthon on order 2.1 f&r, should be here today. Also will use stans with new tires...
    currently using ODI grips, tried many foam grips, none worked out, will try roadie bar tape next.
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    Minoura Dura Cage bottle cages Al bolts, (two of them)
    M959 pedals
    XTR QR's.
    Garmin Edge 305+hr cycle computer.

I'll post pics when I get the new tires mounted and the brake hoses cut down.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member

um....no sympathy from me

It weighs 25lbs now? You need to just ride and give it a rest. I ride a 29.5 bike.
    Sometimes it feels heavy and sometimes it flys. It depends how I feel that day.
    Let me try out this pig for you...I'll be gentle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Anytime you go from a light road bike to a mountain bike it's going to feel different, especially if you're riding the FS bike on the road. I have a hardtail, road bike, and a Blur and I know what you mean about the difference. 25lbs is a good weight for a large Blur, you could lose a pound without too much effort(pedals, bar tape, Stans).

mtbr member
    After I got everything tight and adjusted, I rolled aroudn the front yard a bit, then took in into the street for a sprint. My first impression was that I must have had a flat tire (stan's leak down or something), it felt so mushy. I really got spoiled at the crispness of the road bike's handling. Also, for a mtn bike, I have a pretty good saddle to handlebar drop, but it still feels like I'm riding a chopper, compared to the road bike. Even with 160psi in the shock, and 150psi in the ifp, it still felt mushy. It felt better today, and I got my new tires just now so I'll stick them on tonight. After riding that road bike with the 700 x 23c's my 2.25 front tire looks massive.

Solution: Get a road bike too! My poor wife... Now she will have to deal with me nagging for funds to build a roadie commuter. My best commute home was around 30min via mtn bike, on the roadie, 26:16 (10 mile commute, more down that up with a tailwind half of the way, cross wind the other half).

BM

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I started out with a 25lb classic blur, of which I posted specs here long ago, but the frame cracked. Turned out to be a defective '03 large frame. It broke at the seat tube/just above the bb shell junction. Anyway, I send it back for a warranty replacement and decide I want to pay an upcharge and upgrade to a Blur XC. Great! But wait, (litterally) SC's bike are always backordered. So I wait....

In the meantime, a really generous kind friend lets me borrow his Litespeed Classic roadie, so I start commuting on that, and doing some lunchtime group rides. All is good. It's got a mix of dura-ace and ultegra stuff on it, very nice. 19lb, not light for a roadbike, but I don't care. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth! It felt very strange when I first started riding it, but I really got used to it (narrow Q factor, shorter crank arms, hunched over riding positon, etc...)

Now I get my Blur XC frame and build it back up. The Blur XC is a disk only frame so I've got new wheels (XTR/717) with hope brakes, dt adapters, etc. I'm happy, but damn- it feels like such a freakin' boat anchor now... I'm a 190~200lb rider, and I have limited finacial resources, so I know I'm never going to build a wicked light WW bike, but man, going from a road bike back to a mtn bike hurts. What I once thought was a respectable wieght for a FS rig, now feels super heavy. I used to feel that it was quick and nice, now it feels slow and sluggish... I've yet to get back on a trail, I have a couple loose ends to tie up first, but I hope I feel better about it when I get back on dirt.

SC Blur XC - Large
    XO RD
    stem- TBD, borrowing a 90mm azonic from a friend, but I think it's too short. When I decide what length I want, I'll get either a syntace, FSA, or Bontrager WCS (I ran a 120mm on my classic blur).
    IRC Mibro tires, 2.25f, 2.1r, but I have Mibro for Marthon on order 2.1 f&r, should be here today. Also will use stans with new tires...
    currently using ODI grips, tried many foam grips, none worked out, will try roadie bar tape next.
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    M959 pedals
    XTR QR's.

BM
    My daily driver is a Jeep Wrangler with a 4 inch suspension lift and 33x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains. One day my friend let me borrow his 06' 480hp 911 Turbo (yep, nice friend). Needless to say I drove around in style for a day. The next day a gave the Porsche back and went back to my trusty old Jeep. I immediately noticed that the suspension felt like mush, the handling precision was a night and day difference compared to the 911 and man did that Jeep accelerate slow. As soon as I noticed these differences, I quickly came to the realization that trying to compare a 911 to a Jeep is pointless.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Beside the weight making a difference, tires help!

rolling around on slick 23mm tires is so mauch faster and easier than 2.1 - 2.25 knobbies MTB tires.
    Also the 700c to 26" wheels make a differnce.

I fell the same when I go form my 13+lb roadie to a 22lb commuter HT.
    On my commuter SS/HT I am using Schwalbe Super Moto 2.35 slicks and they roll as fast as the 1.5 Marathon racer Slicks I had on before.

If you don't have the funds for the roadie, get some extra 26" wheels or 700c Disc cross wheels and add slicks. You ride will be faster and easier than now, but not as quick as the roadie.

If you want a commuter roadie, you can build/buy one for under $700!

Yes riding a roadie is faster and more fun on the road!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

EDR
    I'm not here just to flame on you but I don't understand your point exactly. I mean, "Yes, a 25lb fs bike does feel slower and heavier than a road bike." That's because it is.

Solution: Borrow a 35lb trailbike and ride that on your local trails 5 or 6 times over, then go ride the Blur. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    My point was/is that I was totally surprised at how much differnt it felt, from what I remembered. I was off the mtn bike for about a month and a half and it felt like I'd never ridden one before. I'm also surprised at how much I miss the multiple hand positions of drop bars.

DB- that's a pretty sweet commutter. I dig the look of the fat slicks. On a side note, does anyone know of a tire mfg that makes a full 700c slick, wider than 23c? I've looked around a bit, and most tires wider like 28 or 30c, are semi treaded and/or have tan sidewalls. I don't dig the look. Our roads are terrible, and if I built a roadie commuter I'd like something wider than what I've been riding on.

Jutt77- that's funny because that's exactly (almost) the analogy I used when I talked to my coworkers about the new bike after I rode it in yesterday- 911 turbo vs. lifted 4wd truck...

BM

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Are you kidding?

SC Blur XC - Large
    XO RD
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    M959 pedals
    XTR QR's.

BM
    My Turner 5 Spot is 27.5 lbs. Perfect weight for my type of riding. I would need to make too many concessions to performance and durability to drop it even 2 lbs. Personally, I would replace that Sella Italia saddle, put on bigger & more beefy tires, and ride that puppy silly...great bike.

Jaybo

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Schwalbe Marathon Slick

DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

I love Pisgah
    Watch it. Road riding can be very addictive. 80% of my rides (8-10hrs week atm)lately is on the roadie. I've been mtb racing every weekend lately tho, so I'm still getting lots of that(12hour solo last Sat altho it got called because of storms/lighning 7.3hrs into it).

Roadies feel like rocketships compared to the lightest mtbs. Much cleaner or undeluted feel when sprinting or climbing on one. Even my trusty 19lb race HT feels like a slug compared to my average weight roadie(18lb) when you factor in the tires and such.

On the other side of the coin, the race HT feels much more cushy after I've done alot of roadie miles and then go to it for race.

Cassoulet forever !
    DB- that's a pretty sweet commutter. I dig the look of the fat slicks. On a side note, does anyone know of a tire mfg that makes a full 700c slick, wider than 23c? I've looked around a bit, and most tires wider like 28 or 30c, are semi treaded and/or have tan sidewalls. I don't dig the look. Our roads are terrible, and if I built a roadie commuter I'd like something wider than what I've been riding on.
    Yes it exist.
    I think the name is the schwable big apple
    29*2.35, slick, HUGE !

will only fit a 29"er frame

ask cloxxki
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

MTBGremmie
    Man, what a sweet ride.

You could probably lose some poundage if you ditch the disks. Haven't seen (m)any roadies with 'em, for good reason.

If you're still not happy, I'd be glad to take her off your hands.

Thanking you in advance....

mtbr member
    It's a disk only frame, the only reason I made the switch. I've been on it enough now that it feels normal again. On the trail, it feels real nice. I haven't had it out too much, life's been in the way but that's no complaint. It seems to turn better. I'm no bike geometry guru, but I seem to feel more confident in the corners on that bike than I did on the classic blur. The disks work pretty good too. They aren't really more "powerful" than my V's were, but they do seem a lot "smoother" howevery you take that. I "feel" like I can grab more brake w/o risking skidding. I know this is all relative so there's no way to make a clear cut comparison but the bike is agreeing with me ...

BM

Here're some pics, sporting a rare Gen II 5th Air shock, albeit with still uncut brake hoses:
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 07-29-2009 at 10:09 AM.

MTBGremmie
    Ooops.....

Sorry, didn't see the disk specific frame you posted. But what a beauty it is.

I've also using Mibro tires. They're pretty quiet on the pavement, low rolling resistance and still quite good for the loose over hardpack typical here in SoCal. However, I've given up my cardio pavement runs because the rear (reverse tread direction) was quickly losing its edge. The center knobbies are like Gummy Bears.

If you're using this for commuting you might go with the slick DB recommended.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Actually, I'm running the Mibro for Marathon tires. They have twice the number of center knobs as the regular Mibro's but the are half height knobs. I really dig them. They are almost the perfect tire for my trails. I say almost because they don't agree with Stan's very well. It seems that the have a nasty habit of blowing off the rim. Other than that, they absolutely rock. The odd thing though, is the QBP now lists them as discontinued. I wonder what's up? If I have to, I'll switch back to normal Mibros. Also good tires.

BM

Members who have read this thread: 0