View Poll Results: Is 23 pounds considered heavy for a WW short travel XC bike?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • YEAH BUD!

26 28.26%
  • NO DUDE!

66 71.74%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Is 23 pounds considered heavy for a modern WW short travel XC bike?

I would really like your opinion.

EDIT: That would be a short travel FS XC bike.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 08-28-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Your Best Friend

Re: Is 23 pounds considered heavy for a WW short travel XC bike?

As always, it depends. My XL 100mm FS 29er is exactly 23lbs. Sometimes lighter, sometimes heavier. I think 23lbs is light for that bike.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    I see, this is going to come down to what people own, in order to justify it.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    I just built up a 19" (size L) carbon hardtail and it came to 23lbs. It's all XT with some pretty decent parts. I didn't go crazy and could have gone XTR to save a couple of pounds.
    I would consider an FS at 23lbs to be VERY light....but then again my FS is about 29lbs

mtbr member
    FS, HT, or Rigid?
    SS or Geared?
    6r, 7r, 9r?

If we are talking a rigid, ss, 6r, then 23lbs is not a weight weenie at all.
    If we are talking a FS, Geared, 9r, then 23lbs is very light.

Shawn, if you ask a stupid question, you will probably get a stupid answer.

mtbr member
    I meant to put in FS.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    My sette ace was 21lbs before i made a carbon hard tail out of it that turned out to be 18lbs.
    i think 23 for any 26 is easily done even without any crazy "exotic" brands.
    RAH!

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I had a 22 lb FS bike for XC racing back in '98, before there were any of the modern superlight components available, so I would say it's very easy to build a sub 23 lb FS bike.

mtbr member
    We also haven't confirmed if we're talking 29ers or not. I see a few references to 26-inch platforms which are easier to build WW.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say it was considered heavy... wouldn't say it was light either though and certainly isn't WW.
    Last edited by roaringboy; 08-29-2013 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member
    I would say that a 23lb FS 29er is most likely a weight weenie bike. Most FS 29ers that you can buy are over that 23lb mark. The sworks stumpy is over 25lbs the sworks epic is 23. So theoretically someone would have to drop weight off of those bikes to get under 23.

Is 23lbs the lightest? no. But I wouldnt consider it heavy.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I'd say 23 lbs, is better than average, but not weight weenie light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My 06 rush lefty is about 30lbs and its a 26er. Maybe that's why I am trolling for ideas on weight loss.

mtbr member
    IMO 23lbs is not heavy for a 29er f/s (say 100mm) bike. In the old days a sub 24lbs 26" dualie was a light bike, but the goal posts are always moving.

IMO for a 29er f/s non-race-day-only bike, 24lbs (11kg) or less is what you could call a light bike and weight weenie begins somewhere sub 22lbs (10kg).

By non-race-day-only I mean it is that weight and has tyres with tread, and components that you can crash... Something you could ride on trails etc.

But again, the goal posts will move soon as 1x11 drive trains, carbon wheels etc become common place/cheaper.
    22lbs will be a common 'light' 29er f/s bike.

Only my opinion, but currently anything under 22lbs requires a hefty initial outlay (stock bike) or clever components and tuning where weight is the focus, so I would call it weight weenie.
    Last edited by purdyboy; 10-21-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling etc
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think 23 pounds is a good starting point for a light weight
    bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyboy View Post
    IMO for a 29er f/s non-race-day-only bike, 24lbs (11kg) or less is what you could call a light bike and weight weenie begins somewhere sub 22lbs (10kg).
    Hmm, I think you are a bit aggressive on the 22 lb mark as the starting point for WW. I'm running an Sworks Epic 29er which I've moved to 1X10, have replaced most carbon parts with even lighter carbon parts, carbon saddle, foam grips and the tires are about as light as you can get without slicks. This size L bike (which also has a carbon rear triangle) is just under 22 lbs.

I suspect I could alter a few more things, but I guesstimate only 50-70g worth of additional savings.

If my bike is just starting into WW territory, you are very strict! :-)

I think I'd lean toward John here, with 23 lbs starting to show Weight Weenie-ism, especially on a ready-to-ride, FS, 29er.

mtbr member
    The question in my opinion is the wrong question. If you're 5 foot tall and riding a small size frame, then sure weight can be made lighter. If you're 6+ foot tall and riding an extra large frame, then the weight will be higher.

Weight weenie'ism is a personal goal that individuals drive at. This is driven by what's available, at what cost, at what strength. The idea that someone else can come along and tell me or anyone else what is/what isn't 'fit' to be classed as weight weenie'ism is a ridiculous attempt to cock-fight.

Your Best Friend
    My XL FS 29er is exactly 23lbs. Carbon main triangle, aluminum rear. Carbon rims, rocket ron tires (tubeless), carbon handlebar, stem and seatpost. SRAM XX. I've swapped out for lighter foam grips and a heavier Ergon saddle. I consider this bike every day/race weight. Beyond going to stupid tires and XX1, I don't see how I could go a whole lot lighter. I'd say less than 22lbs is definitely weight weenie territory for a bike like this. I've had mine down to 22.75lbs btw just by swapping to said stupid tires.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Hmm, I think you are a bit aggressive on the 22 lb mark as the starting point for WW.... ...If my bike is just starting into WW territory, you are very strict! :-)
    I think I'd lean toward John here, with 23 lbs starting to show Weight Weenie-ism, especially on a ready-to-ride, FS, 29er.
    Not trying to be a snob or strict :-) as my bike is on the border of 23/24lbs.
    I totally agree that up to now 23lb would be into WW territory for that type of bike - and it still is for large bikes/riders. Anything 24 lbs and under for a trail worthy FS 29er is light.

Whilst 22lbs seems strict right now for true WW, I guess it kind of anticipates the direction for 2014. I mean, Specialized now has a production FS 29er claimed at 9.5kg (20.9lbs)... Sure it's mega $$$, but it's stock, comes with a warranty and can be ridden all day. For 2014 a 22lb bike might require expensive parts, but nothing truly boutique or uber exotic, not by WW standards.

Also, my friends bikeshop recently built up a 7.3kg 'Open' carbon hardtail w/- Lefty fork for a wealthy client... Man, it was nice and bikes like that tend to skew your reality a bit :-)
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    23 lbs is in the acceptable range for a FS 29er. Not true WW, but I wouldn't call it heavy either. If it were a 26er, then it's heavy.

I had a 2012 Epic 29er that was just under 21.5lbs with Eggbeater pedals, Sram XX (1x10), Rocket Ron 2.25" tires, formula brakes, and non wheenie seat post/bars/stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    23 lbs is in the acceptable range for a FS 29er. Not true WW, but I wouldn't call it heavy either. If it were a 26er, then it's heavy.

I had a 2012 Epic 29er that was just under 21.5lbs with Eggbeater pedals, Sram XX (1x10), Rocket Ron 2.25" tires, formula brakes, and non wheenie seat post/bars/stem.
    I'm going to challenge you on that weight Briscoe, but sounds like that bike is gone.

My 2011 (L) is down to 21.36 pounds, but that includes several WW modifications. To confirm your 2012, without many WW changes, is about the same? I'd love to see a few pictures on the scale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll post pics later. There are a couple threads around showing it.

Nothing on it was true WW, except for the eggbeater pedals. But, everything was light.

Roval carbon wheels
    Syntace f109 stem
    Enve sweep bar
    ESI chunky grips

Sram xx 1x10.
    Sworks single ring crank (34)
    Xx 11-36 cassette

Thomson masterpiece seat post
    Eggbeater 11 to pedals

Formula r1 brakes
    Ti bolts all around

Selle Italia SLR saddle
    King Ti cage

KCNC ti front skewer
    Rocket Ron 2.25" tires/ fast trak sworks/ maxxis Ikon

mtbr member
    Ah, now I understand. From your earlier post I thought it was mostly stock, but many of those bits are non-stock, and it wouldn't have been 1X10 if you bought an Epic in 2012. (?)

Looks like a great bike.

mtbr member
    honestly, who cares? do you enjoy riding your bike? if you have fun on your bike it doesn't matter how many grams you shave. if all the weight weenies weren't such weenies and lifted some weights every now and than, 2lb on a bike wouldn't be the end of the world

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yea, I bought the frame and fork... built everything else up. Nothing super WW on it, but all the little things add up. 20g here.... 40g there. Loved that bike! Hope to get another one this coming season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast