Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is 23 pounds considered heavy for a WW short travel XC bike?

Is 23 pounds considered heavy for a modern WW short travel XC bike?

7K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  markw1970 
#1 · (Edited)
I would really like your opinion.

EDIT: That would be a short travel FS XC bike.

#37 ·
What else were you expecting? And what is the problem with that?

What else does one use as a frame of reference for something that is completely subjective? Chances are, most people build their bike according to what they see as acceptable in terms of weight, performance, strength, and cost.

#14 · (Edited)
IMO 23lbs is not heavy for a 29er f/s (say 100mm) bike. In the old days a sub 24lbs 26" dualie was a light bike, but the goal posts are always moving.

IMO for a 29er f/s non-race-day-only bike, 24lbs (11kg) or less is what you could call a light bike and weight weenie begins somewhere sub 22lbs (10kg).

By non-race-day-only I mean it is that weight and has tyres with tread, and components that you can crash... Something you could ride on trails etc.

But again, the goal posts will move soon as 1x11 drive trains, carbon wheels etc become common place/cheaper.
22lbs will be a common 'light' 29er f/s bike.

Only my opinion, but currently anything under 22lbs requires a hefty initial outlay (stock bike) or clever components and tuning where weight is the focus, so I would call it weight weenie.

#16 ·
IMO for a 29er f/s non-race-day-only bike, 24lbs (11kg) or less is what you could call a light bike and weight weenie begins somewhere sub 22lbs (10kg).
Hmm, I think you are a bit aggressive on the 22 lb mark as the starting point for WW. I'm running an Sworks Epic 29er which I've moved to 1X10, have replaced most carbon parts with even lighter carbon parts, carbon saddle, foam grips and the tires are about as light as you can get without slicks. This size L bike (which also has a carbon rear triangle) is just under 22 lbs.

I suspect I could alter a few more things, but I guesstimate only 50-70g worth of additional savings.

If my bike is just starting into WW territory, you are very strict! :)

I think I'd lean toward John here, with 23 lbs starting to show Weight Weenie-ism, especially on a ready-to-ride, FS, 29er.

#17 ·
The question in my opinion is the wrong question. If you're 5 foot tall and riding a small size frame, then sure weight can be made lighter. If you're 6+ foot tall and riding an extra large frame, then the weight will be higher.

Weight weenie'ism is a personal goal that individuals drive at. This is driven by what's available, at what cost, at what strength. The idea that someone else can come along and tell me or anyone else what is/what isn't 'fit' to be classed as weight weenie'ism is a ridiculous attempt to cock-fight.

#18 ·
My XL FS 29er is exactly 23lbs. Carbon main triangle, aluminum rear. Carbon rims, rocket ron tires (tubeless), carbon handlebar, stem and seatpost. SRAM XX. I've swapped out for lighter foam grips and a heavier Ergon saddle. I consider this bike every day/race weight. Beyond going to stupid tires and XX1, I don't see how I could go a whole lot lighter. I'd say less than 22lbs is definitely weight weenie territory for a bike like this. I've had mine down to 22.75lbs btw just by swapping to said stupid tires.

#20 ·
23 lbs is in the acceptable range for a FS 29er. Not true WW, but I wouldn't call it heavy either. If it were a 26er, then it's heavy.

I had a 2012 Epic 29er that was just under 21.5lbs with Eggbeater pedals, Sram XX (1x10), Rocket Ron 2.25" tires, formula brakes, and non wheenie seat post/bars/stem.

#21 ·
23 lbs is in the acceptable range for a FS 29er. Not true WW, but I wouldn't call it heavy either. If it were a 26er, then it's heavy.

I had a 2012 Epic 29er that was just under 21.5lbs with Eggbeater pedals, Sram XX (1x10), Rocket Ron 2.25" tires, formula brakes, and non wheenie seat post/bars/stem.
I'm going to challenge you on that weight Briscoe, but sounds like that bike is gone.

My 2011 (L) is down to 21.36 pounds, but that includes several WW modifications. To confirm your 2012, without many WW changes, is about the same? I'd love to see a few pictures on the scale.

#22 ·
I'll post pics later. There are a couple threads around showing it.

Nothing on it was true WW, except for the eggbeater pedals. But, everything was light.

Roval carbon wheels
Syntace f109 stem
Enve sweep bar
ESI chunky grips

Sram xx 1x10.
Sworks single ring crank (34)
Xx 11-36 cassette

Thomson masterpiece seat post
Eggbeater 11 to pedals

Formula r1 brakes
Ti bolts all around

Selle Italia SLR saddle
King Ti cage

KCNC ti front skewer
Rocket Ron 2.25" tires/ fast trak sworks/ maxxis Ikon

#24 ·
honestly, who cares? do you enjoy riding your bike? if you have fun on your bike it doesn't matter how many grams you shave. if all the weight weenies weren't such weenies and lifted some weights every now and than, 2lb on a bike wouldn't be the end of the world

#27 ·
Are we talking about pedals included? I see a bunch of people posting weights without pedals. I understand it when manufacturers do it because pedals are so interchangeable and they are trying to compare themselves to others, but a bike is pretty hard to ride without pedals. If it is your own personal steed, list the weight with pedals.

I am at 23.25 pounds with my 2013 Sworks Epic 29 with pedals. The cassette is the SRAM 1030 cassette but everything else is pretty nice. It is not a race day only bike, and I know I can make it lighter, I just don't really care. I guess that is why I am not a true weight weenie.

1x10 setup
Frame - 2013 Sworks Epic L
Fork - Fox CTD 100mm
Shifter - 10 sp SLX
RD - XT w/ clutch
Tires - Racing Ralph w/ Snake Skin
Wheels - Roval Control SL
Saddle - Fizik Tundra w/ carbon rails
Grips - ESI chunky
Stem - Syntace 109
Post - Ritchey Superlogic
Bars - Easton EC70
Brakes - MTS
Cranks - XX1 w/ 32T
Cassete - SRAM 1030
Pedals - Xpedo

I know I should drop the 1030 cassette, but I don't know if I want to go full XX1 or just wait until I have some more use out of the 1030 and just get a 1080 cassette.

#31 ·
Are we talking about pedals included? I see a bunch of people posting weights without pedals. I understand it when manufacturers do it because pedals are so interchangeable and they are trying to compare themselves to others, but a bike is pretty hard to ride without pedals. If it is your own personal steed, list the weight with pedals.
This.

Im interested in bikes that are ridden. As such, even though Im a weight weenie (really really bad... I compare titanium bolts and use nylon bolts too and know the weight of the paint), I would much rather see weights of built bikes complete as ridden. I ride with a computer, so why wouldnt i be interested in which is lightest? Pedals are a total conundrum. Eggbeater 11's are light but they seem to eat themselves up here in the Pacific NW mud. XTR pedals are 300g, but they just don't stop working and have a very positive connection. The only time I'm thinking "huh." is when people include water bottle cages. I cant conceive of drinking form a water bottle on the bike... even my camelbak mouthpeice is disgustingly filthy after an hour of solid riding. You guys must ingest a lot of dirt and mud ;)

Lets compare bike weights "as ridden", and include size information.
To answer the original question, I've built an XL FS bike with pedals and its 23.2 lbs after a lot of weight weenie work. Short of adding some too-fragile parts, Im really excited.

#30 ·
23lbs is not a heavy bike but I don't think it falls into WW world, unless it's a L FS.

I consider my 26lbs med, fs, am bike heavy. But it does what it needs to.

I think WW is the best ones budget can do knocking off weight with the result of lower than normal weights. For some reason, I don't think someone buying a stock bike at say 20lbs is a WW but someone trying to get their bike down to that weight (or lower) is. That makes sense? As phlegm says...hobby.

I am a gram counter lol where there is no compromise to any part of my bikes, in performance and function. But at my other bike weights some may argue lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.