mtbr member
    Feb 2008

20lbs Full Suspension 29er - Help with my build!

I need a new MTB, and I have the WW bug. Please help with suggestions on making this a light weight build without going too crazy on $$$ (like a $600 handlebar). I do XC races.

FrameSet: Specialized SWorks Epic WorldCup Large, including Sid WC Fork with brain
    Wheels: Roval Control SL 29 142+ (I would get the new Stans Valor if they were available)
    DriveTrain: SRAM XX1
    Brakes: XTR (987)
    Brake Rotors: Ahima AI2
    Seatpost: Specialized Carbon SeatPost 30.9 (Comes with frameset)
    Saddle: WTB Silverado Carbon or Prologo Nago Evo Nack X-10 (or X-08)
    Bar: New Ultimate or Ritchey Superlogic Flat Bar
    Stem: Ritchey WCS or Syntace F109
    Tires: Schwalbe Thunder Burt 2.1
    Grip: ESI Chunky

I would love to get it under 20lbs, but that might be a stretch with some of my heavy choices (saddle, brakes).

Thanks for suggestions!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    check the reviews on brakes, I'm going with XT over XTR, based on reliability. The M785's are about $200/set now. But heavier....

What's the current calculated weight? How close to goal are you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a friend with about that same setup except brakes (he has Magura MT8) and with pedals his weighs close to 23lbs. I think his frame is a medium also.

mtbr member

Re: 20lbs Full Suspension 29er - Help with my build!

Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    I have a friend with about that same setup except brakes (he has Magura MT8) and with pedals his weighs close to 23lbs. I think his frame is a medium also.
    Must be a different bike - the OP listed the s-works WORLD CUP epic. That is new this year, and my understanding is they haven't hit the dealers yet.

The reviews put those at 20 lbs or just under 20 out of the box, if I recall. So I'm not sure you will have to do much at all, but I'm confused because you said you didn't want to spend much, yet the retail on that bike is $$$$$. I think you need to see your starting weight. The XTR brakes are heavy compared to some others out there, but I agree that I would rather have a few extra ounces on board with fantastic braking than less weight with crummy brakes. Saddle, stem, and bars are places where I'd start, but hard to know without baseline weights.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Must be a different bike - the OP listed the s-works WORLD CUP epic. That is new this year, and my understanding is they haven't hit the dealers yet.

The reviews put those at 20 lbs or just under 20 out of the box, if I recall. So I'm not sure you will have to do much at all, but I'm confused because you said you didn't want to spend much, yet the retail on that bike is $$$$$. I think you need to see your starting weight. The XTR brakes are heavy compared to some others out there, but I agree that I would rather have a few extra ounces on board with fantastic braking than less weight with crummy brakes. Saddle, stem, and bars are places where I'd start, but hard to know without baseline weights.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Sorry, I guess I need to read a little slower. His bike is a 2013 and he is waiting for the 2014 to come in. I still don't see how they will get that much weight out of the new frame.

mtbr member
    Ha, Albertdc stole my comment.

You indicated cost savings, but the component list - especially frameset - is about as expensive as you can get. (I'm drooling over it though!)

You didn't specify pedals, but CB 11s would probably match your component level, unless you have an SPD cleat preference.

I'd recommend a cheap ($50) eBay carbon saddle @ ~110g. Not a lot of wiggle room left, but you could go for carbon-ceramic rotors and pads from Kettle, although there are some fulfilment issues with this startup firm. I'd expect 75g of savings +/- from those.

I'm very keen to see the out-of-box weights on the Epic SW WC as well.
    Last edited by phlegm; 11-07-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Trail Ninja
    Wheels and tires are pretty much where the big chunks of weight drop off from. If you ain't doing sub-400g tires and have a sub-1300g wheelset, you're going to struggle. Don't shy away from tubulars. Can just pump sealant in them (perhaps some homebrew mixture of Conti Revo with coarse glitter to help plug punctures), and you'll probably start trying for 18 lbs. crc has Racing Ralph tubs on sale for under $25.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the comments so far.
    About budget, yes it is an expensive built, but I do not want to go into crazy expensive parts (like a $600 handlebar).
    I do not know the weight of the frameset, so the whole exercise is hard. There are rumors on the internet of a 19.8lbs build in Large, but I am skeptical. I saw a Non-WC S-Works yesterday at a local shop and it is 24lbs (it included the SWAT stuff and it was a large). I plan to use CB11 for pedals.

Trail Ninja
    I've seen a Superfly FS SL weigh in at 20 lbs, mostly stock, no pedals. Bonty XXX wheels, XR0 team issue tires, XX1, XX WC brakes, actually, seems to mostly match the stock 9.9 spec. $8300 MSRP on that model though, ouch.

Just saying, if big name mostly stock FS 29ers weigh that little, I wonder what a few upgrades could get it down to (carbon tubulars, etc). Gotta lay down thick wads of cash for the super lightweight cranks and saddle...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    A 14 Sworks weighing 24lbs? That puts it as heavy as large Expert. Pic's or it didn't happen.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    A 14 Sworks weighing 24lbs? That puts it as heavy as large Expert. Pic's or it didn't happen.
    Yeah, I was shocked and depressed. I ask the guy at the shop to put it on the scale for me, and he said he just had, and it was 24lbs. I did not see it, but he had no reason to inflate the weight when trying to sell me a $10K bike. Again, it had the SWAT stuff, and it also had flat resin pedals on it (assuming they left them on when on the scale). It also had bottle cages.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by flafonta View Post
    Yeah, I was shocked and depressed. I ask the guy at the shop to put it on the scale for me, and he said he just had, and it was 24lbs. I did not see it, but he had no reason to inflate the weight when trying to sell me a $10K bike. Again, it had the SWAT stuff, and it also had flat resin pedals on it (assuming they left them on when on the scale). It also had bottle cages.
    That is 2lbs heavier than my Expert Evo fully loaded w/ cages tube, CO2 and Xepdo Ti pedals. Crazy.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OK, let's ignore the 24lbs comment until I can see it on a scale.