Thread: 2013 Rocket Ron

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

2013 Rocket Ron

2013 Rocket Ron EVO,TR, Pacestar, 26 X 2.25. Claimed weight = 465 grams.
    I got 4 of these 455,468,469,471 grams. So not to bad. I'll get the digital calipers on them once I've mounted.
    Really like the old style RR for a front tire and I'm concerned looking at the new tread pattern and knob design that it won't be as good in tech. offcamber sidehills & corners, but time will tell. The durometer on the knobs seems really soft & gummy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Rocket Ron-img_4802_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's not a bad weight at all for a 2.25 - my 2.1 came in at 465g:

(sorry for the crap pic - took several, deleted the in-focus ones and left the sh1te one by accident)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My rear 2013 Rocket Rons EVO, TR, Pacestar only lasted two rides before a sidewall rip put it out of commission.

I will attempt to patch the rip with a radial tire patch. I don't really trust it as a rear tire anymore though. IDK if I would use it as a race tire either unless it was on a perfectly groomed course free of sharp rocks and sticks.

In my short testing period I loved the grip the tires provided. I thought they cornered very well.

Helmetless Crasher
    The outgoing RoRo was my favorite tire, hands down. Definitely NOT a rock tire, however. But armed with that knowledge, careful line choice will allow themn to get through jagged stuff OK. The new tread looks a lil closer-spaced, likely for better rolling resistance.

Can't wait to try them.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sorry to hijack but, why RoRo over RaRa? I've looked at Schwalbe's site several times. RoRo is lighter but RaRa has better rolling resistance, no?

Thx!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jleebo View Post
    Sorry to hijack but, why RoRo over RaRa? I've looked at Schwalbe's site several times. RoRo is lighter but RaRa has better rolling resistance, no?

Thx!
    For me as a front tire it offers great cornering gripper, works very well on wet rooty sidehills, decent braking, and good rolling resistance. On the rear for great traction & rolling resistance I run the Conti Race King Supersonic 2.2

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Mounted up easy by hand and aired up tubeliss no problem with an air compressor. Mounted on an Enve XC rim. measured @ 25 psi. Heading out Sunday for a ride, although it will be on snow packed singletrack - so not the best test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Rocket Ron-img_4831_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    That's not a bad weight at all for a 2.25 - my 2.1 came in at 465g:

(sorry for the crap pic - took several, deleted the in-focus ones and left the sh1te one by accident)
    i think it's the 2012 model this one.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a set of Rocket Ronís and I am new to the world of tubeless tires. My rear tire is a snake skin and I have had no issues whatís so ever with it. My front tire is not snake skin and seems to be extremely porous. I noticed before I even rode with them I could hear air escaping from the side wall and can see the sealant bubbling. Is this normal? Also I ran with them at a 30 PSI and seemed to be a little slippery. The tire recommends 26 and up but Iím actually considering running them at about 25psi maybe 22?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    if they are similar to the Racing Ralphs I jsut got evo non snakeskin then the air from the sidewalls is normal. I did the sealant shake and layed them flat for a day on each side an they seem to be holding air well now. Made a quick run on them at 25psi front and 27 rear and really liked them!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks,

I will try leaving them on the sides over night and see if that does the trick.