mtbr member
    Jan 2012

2011 GT Karakoram -- worth it?

This bike has gotten really cheap (Performance has it for 699), but I'm weighing out buying it and spending a bunch of cash to lighten it or spending more initially for a lighter bike.

Specs:
    GT Karakoram 1.0 29er Bike - 2011 at REI.com

I'd need a medium which weighs about 30.5 lbs.

I figure the following would get it down to about 26 lbs:
    Stans wheelset: 550 (after selling original wheels)
    Reba RL shock upgrade: 300 (after selling old shock)
    Easton EA70XC bar: 100
    Thomson post/Specialized saddle: 150

Total = 1100 + 800 (cost of bike) = 1900
    Estimated weight after upgrades = 26 lbs ?

Or, I can be patient and wait for one of these Ti Motobecane 29ers to come back in stock:
    SRAM X9, 3x10 Speed 29er Titanium Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2011 Motobecane Fantom Titanium 29er | SRAM X9 hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

That is 1700 and weighs 26 lbs right out of the box. Plus, I'd get a much nicer drivetrain and I could probably lighten it another pound fairly easily.

Almost seems like a no brainer to not get the GT.

Thanks,
    Bob

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It almost never works out cheaper to build or upgrade when there's an off the shelf configuration that you would be happy with. Hell, if I was planning to plunk down well >$1k in upgrades I'd seriously consider just building from scratch in the first place.

viva la v-brakes!
    Oh how the mighty have fallen! It pans me to see that budget bike being called the Karakoram, it was once a really solid high end bike, a little more working man reasonable than the Zaskar.

I'm pretty happy with my Motobecane Fly X 29er. There are a few quirks where they cut some corners, but the construction quality is good and the components are the same good components from good manufactures. If you're willing & able to build and tweak the bike yourself, its hard to argue with the Motobecane's value.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.