Bike-shop employee.

2006 Specialized Carbon Frames preview, and pics

Hey Guys.
    Check out this article on cyclingnews.com

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...specialized06b

gives a brief preview of the upcoming carbon mtb frame line. Looks very promising, as Specialized has a great reputation for excellence in frame building. That being said, this solid reputation reflects their perfection in the aluminum frame market. I guess only time will tell how sucessful it is.
    Personally, I am quite interested in the new carbon HT frameset. Its about time to replace my trusty S-works M4 frame.

mtbr member
    bike pr0n

banned

not really...

Quote Originally Posted by mpap89
    bike pr0n
    overall weight of the Epic ist still the same...
    german press says the frames now finally have the needed stiffness in the headtube area. that's where the aluminium versions lacked ??? for years they said Specialized were benchmarks...now they say the frames lacked in stiffness...anyway - the Epic S-Works weighs a hefty 24 lbs just like its precedessor. i don't see an improvement as far as weight is concerned.

the HT frame , if it really weighs 1150g, will be a major improvement. it needs to be as the big "S" bikes were real tanks and not even close to be considered light. now Specialized weights were also very optimistic in the past. we will see what all those frames weigh for real as soon as the german magazines test them.

that Specialized copies Scotts technology down to the fancy looking top layer of the fibres seems real cheap to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Which scott copied from parlee and calfee carbon road bikes... and put into mass production

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Specialized new to carbon??

oh yeah funny quote from the article: "Some may say that Specialized has lagged behind in incorporating carbon fiber in mountain bike frame design." They aparantly forgot that a good 15 years ago Specialized made a certain carbon-titanium bike that Ned Overend won the worlds on. Oh and check out my new singlespeed build!

And the frame allegedly weighs 2300g which is a significant drop from 2450-2500ish according to weightweenies. I haven't noticed any stiffness issues with the 04 S-Works Epic but did with an 03 regular Epic. Oh and if you havent seen one of these new carbon epics up close, they are STUNNING.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    that Specialized copies Scotts technology down to the fancy looking top layer of the fibres seems real cheap to me.
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but I read that Scott (a US company) cannot sell their full suspension bikes in the US because they violated Specialized patents on their rear suspension. Ticks me off that Scott did this because I want a Genius.....
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    overall weight of the Epic ist still the same...
    german press says the frames now finally have the needed stiffness in the headtube area. that's where the aluminium versions lacked ??? for years they said Specialized were benchmarks...now they say the frames lacked in stiffness...anyway - the Epic S-Works weighs a hefty 24 lbs just like its precedessor. i don't see an improvement as far as weight is concerned.
    It doesn't matter if a bike is a good bike, and if it is still a good bike compared to the competition. What matters is marketing and making money. If specialized doesn't change things over the years, then people (that don't know any better) will see them as stagnating and "behind" everyone else. It doesn't matter if there is nothing to be gained by "changing" things, it is a natural part of marketing and the consumer cycle. It just makes them look rediculous in the eyes of those of us that know better....

"Why I oughta..."
    Was at my LBS today, and they stated the new S-Works Epic Carbon and S-Works Stumpjumper are $7k. Not sure what the frame alone will cost.

Why Me
    Quote Originally Posted by boboso
    Was at my LBS today, and they stated the new S-Works Epic Carbon and S-Works Stumpjumper are $7k. Not sure what the frame alone will cost.
    The winner of 24 hours of pisgah rode one of the prototype epics last week they are really nice. The complete bike will retail for $7100 and the frame set will retail for $3800. I dont know any info on the hardtail.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by chad2102
    The complete bike will retail for $7100 and the frame set will retail for $3800. I dont know any info on the hardtail.
    That is absolutely ridiculous. As MBA pointed out, you can buy any of the big 4 japanese motocross bikes ( as in MOTORCYCLE) for less than that. Its a beautiful bike and no doubt very functional, but there is no way in the world that I'd pay that much. The next thing you know, they are going to cost more than a new truck.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    That is absolutely ridiculous. As MBA pointed out, you can buy any of the big 4 japanese motocross bikes ( as in MOTORCYCLE) for less than that. Its a beautiful bike and no doubt very functional, but there is no way in the world that I'd pay that much. The next thing you know, they are going to cost more than a new truck.
    I agree, that is rediculus! We have 2 dirtbikes ('89 CR500 and CR250) and two 3-wheelers ('85 ATC250R and ATC200X) and their COMBINED value is about what that one BICYCLE cost. That bike cost about half as much as my 4x4 F350 crew cab truck and about 3 times what my camper and trailer cost. My buddy just bought a brand new CRF450 dirtbike for a little less than that bike and I assure you, the CRF is ALOT funner to ride than a mountain bike!

I could build my Klein Attitude 3 times over and still have money left over compared to what that Specialized cost and I doubt I would be any faster or better on the Specialized than I am on the Klein. That bike is for people with more money than brains....

mtbr member

I think Trek is going to be them to it

Trek has 9.8 29er prototypes out there, no doubt about it. I think that they will be the first on the scene with a carbon 29er. Check out last years Trek catalog, Travis brown is pictured in the mtb section riding a 9.8 with knobby tires (maybe cyclecross) and Bontrager 700c race aero lites......hmmm.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    The Specialized is overpriced but people will pay it to have the latest (and Specialized is very good at marketing). Where Specialized is missing the boat is not offering a 29" wheeled carbon hardtail. That would be revolutionary...
    Specialized is going to have their work cut out for them on this one. I think that they are going to have some trouble selling a sufficient number of these things, even with their marketing. Few people can afford a $7000 mountain bike, and those that can are going to need to be convinced that it is indeed the latest and greatest. You are right though, there will be those that just have to have it cuz they can afford it. I just wonder if there will be enough of those folks out there.

chips & bier

I've been told something different again

I recently spoke to somebody from Cube (Germand brand....) regarding the coarse weave pattern on the '05 GTC roadbikes. It looks very similar to Scott's offerings, although the Cube's are monocoques.... Anyway, the guy told me Cube had planned on using much finer weaves, but short-term shortages meant lots of bike manufacturers were using the coarser stuff. When the finer weaves were readily available again, they apparently stuck with the coarse pattern to keep the bikes looking the same of the model year.

midnight special

Scott USA is Swiss!

... shortages due to the production of the new Airbus A380, actually.

I actually liked these broad k10 or k12 surfaces.

@ DaFireMedic: Just wanted to point out that "Scott USA" is a Swiss firm
    and the engineering is actually done in south Germany (Freiburg).

Greg

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger G
    @ DaFireMedic: Just wanted to point out that "Scott USA" is a Swiss firm
    and the engineering is actually done in south Germany (Freiburg).

Greg
    Thanks for the correction. I read in an MTB magazine that Scott was US company. Curious though, anyone know why they called themselves Scott USA? I know they have been selling sporting equipment in the US for more than 40 years.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    Specialized is going to have their work cut out for them on this one.
    The production numbers are very low. When I inquired at the shop I work at they said they are making 100 mediums, 80 larges, and something like 50 XL's. I thought about putting my name on "the list" but decided to go with an aluminum FSR AND a custom Ti 29er frame and fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Specialized bikes are over priced period $3800 for a frame you can buy complete Giant Nrs's for that.

midnight special

exotic name

@ DaFireMedic: Well, actually Scott USA started out producing the first
    aluminium ski poles in the US in 1958 (Ed Scott's invention).
    At some point, the firm must have been bought by some Swiss investors.
    Now the headquarters are in Givisez, Switzerland (wherever that is - Nino sure knows.)
    The bikes are being developed in Germany and Switzerland.
    I don't have to tell you where they actually have them built, do I?

On topic: if the prices continue to go up like this I'll start racing a singlespeed steel frame.

chips & bier

Haha

I've looked into that, and I'll be converting my old HT with an ENO hub. Real steel isn't a steal anymore!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chad2102
    The winner of 24 hours of pisgah rode one of the prototype epics last week they are really nice. The complete bike will retail for $7100 and the frame set will retail for $3800. I dont know any info on the hardtail.
    Are you serious? $7100 complete and $3800 for a frameset - and how much will I save on weight compare to the aluminum version - maybe 1/2 a pound. I wonder if their lifetime warranty will still apply to the carbon fiber version - I would sure hope so for that price. That is just out of hand. I'd be curious on what the mark up is on these bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

it is not a swiss co.

they started out with goggles, then ski poles. go on their site and read the co history.
    they still have a US headquarters too. just because gm has engineering centers in india
    does that make them an indian co. use some common sense here. would a co. started
    in switzerland really call themselves scott usa.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    It is not a swiss co. They started out with goggles, then ski poles. go on their site and read the co history.
    they still have a US headquarters too. just because gm has engineering centers in india
    does that make them an indian co. use some common sense here. would a co. started
    in switzerland really call themselves scott usa.
    Not that it matters all that much, but Scott does show an Idaho address on their website, and they have both North America and Europe divisions listed. The history mentions nothing about moving the company to Switzerland. My guess is that they are still registered as a US company. I doubt that they would change that, even if they are operating in Switzerland as well.

Again, maybe everything isn't listed on their website, but it doesn't matter to me, the Swiss make quality products as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    As well as the Taiwanese?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Taiwanese frames are great just look at Giant who also makes frame for other companies.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    Do you live down South (in the US)? With all of that "sweet" (as in Napoleon Dynamite) equipment, I'll bet you do. The Specialized is overpriced but people will pay it to have the latest (and Specialized is very good at marketing). Where Specialized is missing the boat is not offering a 29" wheeled carbon hardtail. That would be revolutionary...
    Yea, in the South.... the southern end of California. We have alot of desert here to ride the toys in .

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDesertRider
    Yea, in the South.... the southern end of California. We have alot of desert here to ride the toys in .

Yes we do, brutha...aint it great???????

Members who have read this thread: 0