mtbr member

20 pound 7 ounce Scott Spark Contessa

I have been trying to build a usefull 5 inch travel bike under 20 pounds. I see some of the ones on here but find it impossible to actually get it that low. maybe my scales busted.
    i have some R1's that i will put on this week with jaqwire hoses, there gold so figure they must weigh less , that shold loos another 100 grams

I figure i could drop 150 grams with some new tires and other opionions greatly appreciated.

Frame: 2009 Scott Contessa spark small/stock headset
    Fork 2013 sid rtc3 120,mm straight steerer
    Brakes ultimates
    rotors stans 160's
    wheels stans mmx podium with aspen tires, tubeless
    crank: kcnc with widget 28 tooth, kcnc bb
    pedals, ebay 204 grams for the set
    shifter xtr rear, front none speed yumya
    rear der: xtr 9 speed
    cogs : kcnc 11-34
    chain knc sl speed
    stem: kcnc
    bars: 25.4 easton ct2
    seatpost: kcnc
    saddle: wtb rocket v not the lightest - but not willing to change
    qr's kcnc
    grips, foam

think thats it.
    any help would be great,
    thinking ti bolt kit, and brake adaptors, plus maybe loose the widget for a single ring and carbon guide.

the rider weighs about 110 pounds suited up so reliablity is really an issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20 pound 7 ounce Scott Spark Contessa-img_0001.jpg  

20 pound 7 ounce Scott Spark Contessa-img_0002.jpg  

If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Nice bike. I also run a 28T Widgit and the RocketV saddle. Running 1x9 is a great way to save weight, and I agree - the saddle isn't the lightest but I won't change either! (Not sure how much weight you'd lose by dropping the Widgit and moving to a guide - the aluminum guides on the Widgit weigh next to nothing as they're flimsy.)

As for new weight loss, I've a bit surprised that those pedals are only 204g. Egg beater 11s are 174g, so your number seems pretty low. (?)

Among the lightest tires I know of are Rocket Rons in a narrow format, but not sure if they'll suit your conditions. (I find them very challenging in wet/mud.)

You have solid components on it already - curious how much your frame weighs as it may be the next hurdle for you.

mtbr member
    Oh, and a question about the rotors. You indicate "Stans 160s" - didn't know Stans made rotors. Front and rear look different though - different patterns, and rear is larger? (Could be the photo?) In any event, I like the Magura Storm SL rotors - light, and work great for me.

mtbr member
    Google Image Result for http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z115/ccaddy/DSCF2033.jpg

thanks for the info, pedals are confirmed 102 grams a piece on my scale , nice ideas though

mtbr member
    Ah, searched the Stans site and didn't find rotors - I can't beat 53g anyway though. How is aluminum working out for you?

mtbr member
    How are those wheels holding up - aren't they supposed to be recommended for racing only due to them needing regular rebuilding?

mtbr member

wheels and rotors

the bike is my wifes
    she is 100 pounds on a good day so the wheels and rotors have held up great for around 800kms this year and half of last season of xc only riding.

rear wheel has been trued once front not at all, bearings role as good as my 240's
    ultimates with the stans (rotors) seem to work fine for her, trying some R1's this weekend will keep you informed then, should have more high end power than the ultimates.

mtbr member
    Cool. I was considering the Podiums but opted for the Alpines in the end. Are they the ZTR hubs also? They were always out-of-stock when i looked so i went with American Classic but the ZTR's always seemed like a good deal.

mtbr member
    there the 3.3 ti, have worked great for over a year for a light rider. role just as good if not better than my 240 in the rear. my scientific test is to take out brake drag, flip the bikes upside down and spin them with excactly the same force ,,,,,, the mmx's go for ever., sound prety cool too.