mtbr member

2 x 9 conversion?

How do you or can you convert a regualr 3 x 9 gear ration to a 2 x 9 gear ratio. Can you just take off the small chain ring, or do you have to buy a certain type of cranks/rings? Also the same Q with the front der.
    thanks
    JF2 Racing!

information leafblower
    Oct 2004

relevant article

There's a good article on light bikes...www.light-bikes.com

Basically the things to watch are chainline - tunable with BB, and front mech throw - again tunable with the stop adjust screws. Now unless you like pushing big gears uphill you might also want to go to a smaller (29 or similar) middle ring...these aren't too common so you might need to go custom (try booneti for exotica).

mtbr member
    ok, thanks!
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Works ok for ME!

Hey
    Made the switch about 2 months ago and I find it much better. Just did it on the cheap and took my small ring off and got a Cannondale 29t to replace the middle ring. ( I had 5 arm cranks 94BCD). Adjusted the limits on Front derailor and it seems to work fine. I had a 11-34 on the back so I still have an easy gear!! If I went to a narrower BB I would probably get more life from my drivetrain.

I am a roadie so just having the two gears up front means I don't have think quite so much.

Hope it helps
    Grant

mtbr member

sweet

ok- thanks a lot for that review on it. so just get like a 29T ring replacing the middle and small ring....maybe a narrower bb...awsome..my gears in the back are 12-34 so i think i will be fine...right??

i think that i am going to invest...sooner or later in some of those really cheap ritchey grip shifts.....aren't they just sachs though??

also i am looking in to getting some new levers to replace my sd7's....any affordable light ones??\\

thanks for your comments in advance
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member
    oh wait-
    one more question---would it make any real noticable diff from the 29t to like a 28t or a 30t??

thanks
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Bikes
    oh wait-
    one more question---would it make any real noticable diff from the 29t to like a 28t or a 30t??

thanks
    Not overly sure, but i know that I wouln't go down to 28t and had been thinking that in the future I would probably get a 30t instead of the 29t. Just means that the gears are a bit closer when I drop down from the big ring.

Grant

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I ran a 2x7 for years with a 45/28 up front and a 12-34 rear. Worked great.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Are you talking to me?

say that again?

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I ran a 2x7 for years with a 45/28 up front and a 12-34 rear. Worked great.
    A 7sp 12-34? not. Were you only using 7sp on a 9sp cassette? Is there a 34t 7sp? Megarange, or what?
    gfy

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Back in the old days shimano had a 13-34 7s cassette as part of the regular lineup at the HG 50, 70, and 90 levels of cassettes. The cogs were 13, 15, 18, 21, 25, 29, 34 (so a 2T, 3T, 3T, 4T, 4T and 5T jumps). These were not mega-range cassettes and indeed predated the whole megarange gimmick by a decade.

Prior to suntour inventing microdrive, it was normal to find cassettes and freewheels with up to a 38T granny cog. Most XC racers in the late 80s/early 90s ran a 12-28 cassette and 24/36/46 chainrings.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use a 29t with a 12-27 cassette and the closer ratio is much better than 12-32 or 12-34.and if you use a Dura ace you can save weight.haven't used a DA since the prices went out of site, though.

I don't think a 28t exsists. call FSA for 29t ring. they're not listed on their web site but I got them by calling.

I use a road BB.

mtbr member

ok...

so just get a 29t and leave my regular 12-34 cassette? and i am going to upgrade the cassette soon, what size and brand would be good for the 2 x 9?
    thanks guys
    JF2 Racing!

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    A 7sp 12-34? not. Were you only using 7sp on a 9sp cassette? Is there a 34t 7sp? Megarange, or what?
    SunTour Winner Pro freewheels. I still have a bunch and a box of cogs to make pretty much any combos I want. There was a time when you could customize the gearing on the rear end.

Heck, I have a 6-speed FW with a 36t cog (or is it a 38T?)

I did not even own a cassette hub until 3 years ago.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by dang
    ...I don't think a 28t exsists...
    It does if you use a 28t granny ring and put the big ring in the middle position.
    mtbtires.com