Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2 questions on maxxis flyweight and rim tape

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Tippster 
#1 ·
1)I have seen some offers going on for the Maxxis flyweigh tubes and rim tape for a claimed 95gms. Are they reliable?

2)I just bought some packaging tape that is waterproof. Can i use this as rim tape? Anyone know where i can get 3M tape in sydney australia?

#2 ·
Kelvin said:
1)I have seen some offers going on for the Maxxis flyweigh tubes and rim tape for a claimed 95gms. Are they reliable?

2)I just bought some packaging tape that is waterproof. Can i use this as rim tape? Anyone know where i can get 3M tape in sydney australia?
I used the Maxxis flyweights full-time for a while and had no significant problems, just the usual punctures that I would have gotten with most other tubes anyway. Right now I am using Eclipse tubeless in my main ride and the Flyweights in my back up ride. I also carry the Flyweights in my Camelback as a spare tube.

The packing tape should work as rim tape, so long as its fiber reinforced.

#3 ·
Howdy Kelvin...

Good to see another Aussie postin up on the board, thats 1, 2, 3, 4 .... Ahhh I'm not sure how many, but there is a few :p

3M Tape can be found in K-Mart I am pretty sure, It'll be in the office supplies area somewhere... Failing that try Officeworks.

-Cul

#4 ·
Those 3M fibre packing tapes are difficult to locate, I have tried Officeworks and the local hardware but no luck. No sure if K-mart have them either. I have not looked in something like Bunnings since I have been using this Continental Supersonic tape (stick on) on my road bike and/or the Vittoria plastic rim band on the MTBs. Good thing with these are that they are light, removable/reusable (if I need to change a spoke/nipple which has happened quite a bit) and does not trap water.

My road bikes was out of action last week so I had to put slicks on one of my MTB. Both the Supersonic rim tape and the Vittoria rim bands worked fine at 100 PSI with Maxxis Ultralight tubes (120g each).

Back to the original question, that waterproof tape should work with low pressure (that reads under 40 PSI nominal) since I have gotten electrical tape to work…..

Wayne

#5 ·
I currently use Maxxiss Flyweight 1.5 - 1.75 tubes (87g each) in my 1.9 supersonics.
despite the small size difference, they work fine.
I've not noticed any more punctures than with standard tubes.

I also run slicks on my mtb.
Mavic 517 rims - Maxxiss flyweight rim tape - Specalized thin 1.0 - 1.15 tubes (87g each) - Conti GP 26 x 1.0 tyres folding (209g each).

I run my mtb slicks at 120psi - no problems with the rim tape even at 120psi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.