Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

1x9 drivetrains question?

just a quick question. how many of you run a 1x9 drivetrain. I am considering this being I have become a serious grm. counter and on almost every ride, well honestly on every ride i run middle ring only in the front, so it has me thinking of getting rid of the front derailleur, shifter and 2 rings on my crank! any thoughts on this would be helpful as well as feedback from anyone else who uses a 1x9 system. thanks

jbf
    mtbr member

I do ...

I have always run a 2 X 9 with bashguard setup on my full suspension bike with an 11-32 in the rear. Last year when I built up a hardtail from spare parts I used a single 34T ring up front with a 12-34 cassette because it was what I had in the parts box. I find it has an adequate range for how I use the hardtail but would not do it on my in my heavier full suspension setup, which tackles much more challenging terrain.

Although it was not my motivation, getting rid of a shifter, cables, fr derailleur, chainrings and a couple chain links would be a substantial weight saving if you are counting grams.

inner peace to make peace

1x9

someday, carbon crank 1x9 'n xtr ti cassette (12-34) sram x.0 setup will come my way, perhaps when i'be replace another 20#s of beer gut wth 10 more # s of muscle

i would miss da sprinting speed of a 44 or 46 ring.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

1x8 count?

Suntour XC-Expert 8sp thumbie, XC-Pro MD rear derailleur, SRAM 11-32 8sp cassette, SRAM PC-48 chain, on a DX hub with XTR freehub body, and a Coda 29T ring on a Kooka Crankset with Kooka Bashguard and my own inner guide ring (toothless 32T vuelta ring).

This is on my Alpinestars Ti Mega and the reason behind it is most of my trail bikes i've built the past few years have been 2 ring and bash ring setups, and for several local trails I do where there's nothing significant in downhill sections, nor long and steep climbs to be spent in a granny ring, just lots of flowing and rolling short steep sections, and tight turns, you can do more with momentum and quick steering than with an extra bunch of low gears. Since the thing has short 15.8" stays to begin with, and will easily clear as big a tire as I want to run with a 1x8 (currently a 2.4, but there's room to clear a 3.0 in the frame) since I don't need to worry about a derailleur cage overlapping and buzzing a tire sidewall, I ended up with a bike that climbs like a goat and is lighter overall. For the trails I ride, a 29T/32T low is plenty and the main limitation is maintaining traction and steering as there's a lot of mud, moss, exposed slickrock, tree roots, etc to contend with.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

1x9

I run a 1x9 on my cross bike. 44 x 11-32. the crank is ultegra with a 44 chain ring inbetween 2 cross guides.

www.cyclocrossworld.com has them, so look there for ideas.

dirty hippy mountainbiker

chain retention

So I assume the issue is dumping the chain off the chainring sans derailer. what about those roller thingies the downhillers use? Or just a standard sindlespeed ring?

I have the same issue, don't want the extra crap on the bike cause most of the time I don't use it.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I run my FSR as a 1x9. 34t x 11-34t I had problems with the chain dropping so i put an lx derailleur on it. Still had problems so I got the Rholoff guide. It looks great and works amazingly. The setup I have has been fine. I have enough of a range to ride any trail Ive been on so far, and with the larger ring up front I can ride plenty fast on the road. If I could ride more I would probably put a larger ring on, but 34t works fine.
    Herro prease

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Oooh, that 1x9 was a goodie...

I built mine after about 5 years exclusively on a 24 speed full suspension. I'd forgotten how fun, light and simple a hardtail could be. Still haven't done the singlespeed thing yet, but who knows?

1x9 was great for fireroad bombing and "casual outings" and wet-weather trips in the Marin Headlands and up Tam, but I never really used mine for longer or more serious riding -- just kind of a weenie that way, you know?

Ended up parting it out to make room for my Buzz Bomb, which gave me an even simpler drivetrain but definitely added a few pounds along with a few more useable gears. Still got a soft spot for the 1x9 though.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

yup

until my astars ti broke, I was running a 29/42 double partly because of the cage buzz in the granny ring. had a 28t 94mm ritchey ring stashed for my old age when the 29 got too hard.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

cx style

I don't have any experience with the roller style chain postioners. The cross guide rings are pretty light but built mostly for 42 or 44 chain rings. I did see a guide for a 36 (110). So if you had a compact crank, you could run a 34 or 36 with a guide on the outside. Then put a 3rd eye chain keeper on the inside.

the big issue with this set up is chain line, ideally you want the single ring centered on the cassette, so you may need to try different length bottom brackets until you get the chain line you want.

Quote Originally Posted by indytrekracer
    the big issue with this set up is chain line, ideally you want the single ring centered on the cassette, so you may need to try different length bottom brackets until you get the chain line you want.
    Yeah, chainline is super important, especially on a 26 incher. But besides playing only with spindle lengths, you can use chainring spacers to move the chainring in or out, depending on which side you have it mounted to your spider. And no matter how you cut it, the two smallest cogs on the cassette wear at a pretty fast rate.

Dr. Frost

Could you post a pic of that Rholoff guide?

Hey I've heard about them but would love to see one in a real life picture-any chance you can post? Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks for the ideas guys. my next question is like someone has already asked is where do you find cheap chain retention devices. i am using the next xt hollowtech cranks where the bearing cups are on the outside of the shell. my chainline is right on w/ the middle ring lined up w/ the middle in the back. so now all i need is something to keep the chain from dumping off. is there anything they make lighter than a derailleur that would do the job because if it heavy stuff then it is pointless to take everything off to loose the weight just to put heavy stuff back on. Thanks for the replies.-------J--------

Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    Could you post a pic of that Rholoff guide?
    Here's one on my Hollowpoint. They're not the prettiest chainguides, nor the cheapest, but they're reasonably light and setup and installation is cake.

mtbr member

1x9 here too on a 29r

Just adding another rider to the growing list. As far as a "cheap" option... I chose to go with a bash ring and N-Gear JumpStop unit.

Randy

Belltown Brazer

1X9 is more than you need!

I use the setup on my 29er. This bike is my all day, long ride bike. Pick a 32 or 34 or 36 up front and run the 12 - 34 in the back and you have all the gears you need, especially on a hardtail. Really, you only need about four of them.

I run a bash gaurd on the outside and the N-gear jump stop http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/
    on the inside...just like that KM pictured in this thread. Work great, looks clean and yes...saves weight.

B

Dr. Frost

That thing looks industrial-cool

Yeah that chain doesn't look like it's going anywhere. Any idea if the bashguard/jumpstop is heavier or ligher than the Rholoff?

Thanks for the pic!

Any idea if the bashguard/jumpstop is heavier or ligher than the Rholoff?
    I haven't weighed either, but comparing the amount of material in the Tooth Fairy bash ring on my wife's cruiser to the material in the Rohloff chain guide, I'd suspect the chain guide is marginally lighter. But unless you're seriously comparing gram to gram (oh, weight, what forum is this again?!?) it's probably close enough to be considered a wash.

Dr. Frost

Well then which one LOOKS better?

Heck, if they weight the same and work just as well as each other (the rholoff guide and the bashring/jumpstop combo) then which one LOOKS better? I'm close to going for this setup on the 05 hardtail....just need a little more self talk....

Dr. Frost

PS...about the bashguard weight

I figured I'd just shave down and old large ring for the "bashguard" because I'm pretty much a "bash free" rider. Maybe an occasional log or something. So take this into consideration in the LOOKS department....

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Yeah that chain doesn't look like it's going anywhere. Any idea if the bashguard/jumpstop is heavier or ligher than the Rholoff?

Thanks for the pic!
    It is lighter than a derailleur or bashguard. Mine comes in at 70g with two bolt spacers, and the frame spacers are plastic and weigh next to nothing if you need to use them. It is a bit expencive but I got a good deal from a mtbr member who no longer used his . If you want one, I know a shop that carrys them pretty cheap, PM me or email me and Ill send you the info. Just took it off and here she is on a scale:
    Herro prease

Dr. Frost

70g? You are a treasure trove of information!

Man, this is nice info. Now my local shop is a Quality dealer-would you happen to know if they (Quality) carry it? And has your chain ever come off?

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Man, this is nice info. Now my local shop is a Quality dealer-would you happen to know if they (Quality) carry it? And has your chain ever come off?
    My chain came off a few times when I initially set it up, but now that its set up right it stays one. I dont know if they carry it, but you might as well check. If they do not, email me.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm gonna be running 1x7 on my new fat city bike. Mainly because I have a 7 speed rear wheel leftover from the good old days. Any suggestions on what front ring to run? The freewheel is 12-28 terrain is hilly road and light offroad use.

got bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeanddrum
    just a quick question. how many of you run a 1x9 drivetrain. I am considering this being I have become a serious grm. counter and on almost every ride, well honestly on every ride i run middle ring only in the front, so it has me thinking of getting rid of the front derailleur, shifter and 2 rings on my crank! any thoughts on this would be helpful as well as feedback from anyone else who uses a 1x9 system. thanks
    I run 1X8 on my daily riding bike. I pretty much ride it everywere, work, trails, errands, you name it. No pics, but I run a 32t salsa ring with a sram 11-32 cassette, 8spd xt shifter, xtr short cage deraileur, pc58 chain. I've been thinking about changing to a 34t ring up front but other than that it works great. Gives me all the gears I really need.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast