mtbr member
    Sep 2009

1998 SID Techical question: Damper retrofits

[SIZE="1"](I already asked this on the suspension page but no answer after several days. As this is a lightweight XC fork I figured you guys might know....)[/SIZE]

I have recently installed a 2000 SID XC rebound damper into my 1998 SID and it fits/works perfectly. To do this I am only using the air spring in one leg. Im also using the 2000 SID XC shaft resulting n 80mm travel. It requires a little modification of the shaft so that the 98 air piston will fit the shaft.

Since I now have an empty space in the top of the damper side I was wondering if there are there any compression dampers with lockout that can be retrofitted to the 98 SID?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just found this pic on a Czech website showing a SID fork with 98/99 crown/uppers and a remote lockout.

Does anyone know anything about this custom fork, or can tell me which damper it is?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The last range of SID worldcup before the redesign had lockout, and I recall seeing something like this version on a SID from 2004. Not entirely sure how far back the internals would be compatible.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks.

The crown/steerer/stanchion assembly above is almost certainly 98/99 vintage, but the lowers are more recent (2004?). I suspect the internals on this fork are also from about the same year.

I guess the only way to really find out is to buy a older SID compression damper (for 28mm stanchions) and see if it works.

Can anyone tell me more about the SID compression damper? I'd like to know if it needs to attach to the compression shaft in some way. It could be the case that I need the 'entire' damper assembly* from a more recent SID to get this to work.

*including rebound damper and shaft etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You will have to get a 28mm damper assembly naturally, as current SID's are 32mm. You may have some luck with ebay or google on this matter, but checking first with someone knowledgeable with regard to compatibility would be my first port of call.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

banned
    As far as i remember all parts of the same size (28mm stanchions) were compatible.
    so basically shop for the fork that has the parts you are looking for-tear it down and get the missing part.i should fit right in there.

I found some pics from when i did my lightweight '01 SID WC using a ca. '03 carbon steererassembly retrofitting with '00 internaly.

I also took pictures of a '02 internaly (ca. 358g-that's the ones with lockout) and the internaly i used later on which just had that small cartridge unit (202g)

Maybe this helps some

My conversion finally weighed 1064g and lasted me about 6 years.Since i shaved off the disc tabs it might be installed in my sons 24" soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1998 SID Techical question: Damper retrofits-sid-internals.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    I have a 1998 sid here but wrong steerer tube.
    1" , I do need 1 1/8, I bought a another SID upper crown but it had threaded inner leg ends?
    1998 had circlips, but no threads there.

Can anyone tell me the difference?
    Experimental Prototype

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yes the 98 used circlips and also the 2000 SID XC. That's how I was able to use Y2K internals in my 98 SID.

As far as I can tell this is the only issue with regard to retrofitting later model internals into a 98 SID. I cant tell without looking at the physical object but it could probably be modified in some way to accommodate 'screw in' type damper assembly's. The fork above clearly has later internals (lockout) so I must be possible.

Nino,

Thanks for the pics.

Here is an exploded view of the 98 SID:

1 Bottom bumpers.
    2 Dust wiper.
    3 Shaft bolt.
    4 Cartridge lock ring.
    5 Damping cartridge.
    6 Negative spring with negative spring guides.
    7 E-clip
    8 Air piston with O-ring and glide ring
    9 Air adjuster screw
    10 Brake post
    11 Brake post washer
    12 Lower leg assembly
    22 Flat washers
    23 Retaining rings
    13 Air valve
    24 Shaft bolt without O-ring
    14 Top cap with O-ring
    15 Crown with upper tubes
    16 Crush washer
    17 Neutral shaft
    18 dust wiper
    19 Shaft guide
    20 Top out bumper
    21 Wave washer
    Last edited by mikesnowdon; 02-14-2010 at 07:44 AM.

DB4L
    May 2008
    Anyone selling a Moco Damper for the 28mm SID? I'm looking to replace the pure delite with a moco or something with a lockout.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I managed to get the Y2K SID SC internals working in the 98 SID uppers. To do this required some modification of the SID XC parts.

The 98 (and 99) fork has slightly shorter stanchions than later 28mm models (because the crown drops down more). The difference is 10mm. Therefore I had to shorten the main shafts by 10mm to prevent the air pistons hitting the topcaps on full travel.

Another thing that required modification was to drill a 15mm 'pocket' or 'recess' into the top ends of each shaft to allow the 98 piston heads to fit properly. This is because the inner stanchion diameter of the 98 SID is bigger than the Y2K XC, and the 98 pistons have a small internal o-ring that fits inside the shaft (see pic above).

I've just got back from a ride and the fork worked superbly well. It was plush and well controlled on multiple hits. I can see why the Y2K SID XC got such great reviews. There was a problem though....

On landing a 2 foot jump the rebound adjuster blew off and the compression spat out all the oil from the damper side. As far as I can tell the only thing keeping the oil in is the o-ring around the shaft bolt which makes a seal with the inside face of the adjuster knob. It could be he case that the hard compression of the landing just blew the knob right off as the oil was compressed.

I have found out that the adjustment shaft inside the damper leg is jammed so its pretty much useless having the knob on there. I could just replace it with a standard shaft bolt and solve the problem that way.

But...

I have a full set of >2002 SID internals which I'm looking at to see if I can retrofit (same as the 358g parts in Ninos pic above). Its the dual air spring and pure delight damper assembly with lockout. Trouble is the fitment into the stanchions is screw type rather than circlip, and the damper assembly is 10mm too long. I may be able to modify it somehow. Makes me wonder how that fork above with the 98/99 uppers was put together.

Alternatively I can buy a SID Race upper assembly (CSU) for €140 and build up a modern 28mm SID. But, that's quite an expensive option and SID forks from this vintage can be found on ebay for about the same price as a new CSU.

Sorry about the long post. Please feel free to comment or share advice
    Last edited by mikesnowdon; 09-05-2010 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunn Xchox
    Anyone selling a Moco Damper for the 28mm SID? I'm looking to replace the pure delite with a moco or something with a lockout.

Whats a moco damper mate?

Cunto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesnowdon
    Whats a moco damper mate?
    Motion Control...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Cool cheers. Whats the difference between MC and PD dampers? Can anyone post pics please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    get back to RB you traitor!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Lols! (I dont post in the VRC section)

mtbr member

Rox Shox SID Team compression Knob replacement

Hello Guys!!
    I'm looking for a replacement for my broken knob, the fork on this post it looks exactly as mine an I was wondering if is there any possibilities to have this knob part on aluminum alloy, is the third time i have to brought another plastic cap (knob) any help will be appreciate. (links, model type or any oter info)