mtbr member

160 gram 11-36 cassette?

Mountainbike 11 36 Cassette 10 Speed for Shimano XTR Deore XT Recon CNB | eBay

Anyone have experience with one of these? Im considering one for a race day only wheelset.
    Giant XTC Composite 29er, SID XX World Cup fork, AC Race 29 wheels
    Giant TCR advanced with Ultegra Di2

mtbr member
    I'm sure it's just like every other cassette from Recon. Some will say it's awesome but the majority will say it doesn't shift as well as Shimano/Sram and has terrible longevity. At least it doesn't cost a fortune. Maybe try it and report back.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    The LAST thing you want to do is compromise your shifting performance on raceday. You'll be quicker and more efficient with a reliable cassette, than with a lighter one.
    Just one missed shift on a climb, nullifies any gain you may have felt from running a light aluminum cassette. Some racers would also rather run a steel derailleur hanger over the aluminum one, to gain some security and reliability in shifting. Reducing weight is fine if you just want a light bike, but if you want to drop some weight to gain performance for racing, think of what you are compromising first. I still run a heavy steel railed saddle on my WW bike, because I like the feel and fit of the saddle.

I also run a 156 gram, 11-28 SRAM cassette that shifts like a champ!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If it was me I would stick with a XTR.

mtbr member
    Recon 10 speed cassettes (especially alloy) are garbage and their customer service is even worse. For starters, the e-mail reply is slow and the phone # is for Taiwan. Are you going to call Taiwan just to get worthless customer service? After quite a long wait, I finally received an argumentative e-mail reply blaming me for the cassette breaking. I used a Recon gold alloy on one ride and it broke. I was not shifting under load, carelessly, or improperly. When I asked about a warranty replacement, I was essentially told I did not know how to ride and that is what broke the cassette. The reply said, "You are not a good fit for alloy cassettes." These cassettes shift okay with a new chain and new front crank, but not anywhere near as crisp as a SRAM or Shimano cassette. Five teeth broke off the second smallest cog. Stay away from this company's products. The weight savings is not worth throwing your money away.

Maromero
    My guess is that you didn't have the time to read the three threads in which you posted before buying the cassette.

mtbr member
    I wish I would have done more research before buying a bike with a Recon cassette! Hopefully folks can be warned what a crappy company Recon is so that they know to avoid them. There is not much in the way of reviews out there, so hopefully my posts are helpful.