I'm gonna have to kill ya

... and if we just ... 15.7 lbs of Niner goodness

Not the lightest Niner on here but not far off, with a switch to no Snakeskin tyres that are on the way I should drop almost half a pound

This is frame number two after frame one developed a fine crack, the replacement was in the newer colour as they didn't do the white anymore but somehow was the slightly older Air 9 Carbon not Air 9 CYA labeled one and was about 60-80 lighter!!!

I am now very poor and bar stupid unusable tyres there is not much more I can do part wise.

Very happy though, best riding bike I have had, and that is just the geo and fit the weight is an added bonus

15.7 lbs of Niner goodness-20130828_144517.jpg15.7 lbs of Niner goodness-20130829_142125.jpg15.7 lbs of Niner goodness-20130829_151424-1-.jpg15.7 lbs of Niner goodness-20130829_151431.jpg15.7 lbs of Niner goodness-20130829_151438.jpg15.7 lbs of Niner goodness-20130829_151447.jpg15.7 lbs of Niner goodness-20130829_151510.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Berk saddle/seatpost combo would drop weight I think.

Also what stem is that? Looks like a Thomson to me, looks like you could drop weight by using a KCNC or some other light stem.

You could use Stans Gold rims, however they are flexy...

mtbr member
    Looks nice.
    Specs?

Thanks for the suggestions

It is a KCNC wing stem and for a 60mm it is virtually as light as you can get, likewise bar a few grams the saddle is 88g (came in at 92g) with a cover and a touch of padding is pretty much as light as they come (yeah scud might be 77g or something but I wanted a little padding lol) and the post was 125g for a 400mm so happy with that as well.

Did look at Gold rims but as I ride hard up hills and being a singlespeed crests were as "weak" as I wanted to go. The wheels came in at 1400g to the gram so pretty light but without too much sacrifice in strength.

Like I say the tyres should save me 200g and the Niner frame is "heavy" for a carbon frame with probably 250g on the lighter frames which would put the build into the 14lb range

Spec

Niner A9C medium Fame
    Niner RDO Fork
    Mt Zoom carbon bars
    KCNC 60mm Stem
    ESI grips
    FSA intigrated headset
    Tune seat collar
    McFK carbon seatpost
    McFK carbon saddle
    Hope stainless BB wit GXP adaptor
    SRAM X0 Carbon cranks
    Absoloute Black 32t spiderless cainring
    Chris King 18t stainless sproket
    KMC X9sl chain
    Crank Brothers Ti1 + Ti axles pedals
    Formula R1 race (carbon leavers and no tool-less reach adjusts etc)
    Ashima 160mm air rotors (so no post adapters needed)
    4x ti caliper bolts
    Tune king 15mm front hub
    Tune single speed rear hub
    DT rev spokes
    DT ali nipples
    Stans crest rims
    Tune 15mm maxle lite QR
    Tune Rear QR
    Stans sealant
    Schwalbe 2.25 Rocket Rons Snake skin (some non SS versions on the way)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sweet build...

Stans have just announced some carbon rims that will be out later this year, although you might need new hubs as I think they are 24/28 spokes. But they claim to be stiffer than Arch EX and only 280g rim weight.

There are lighter cranksets out there over X0... Although you're talking a huge amount of money for Hollowgram/THM Clavicula etc. I think S-Works cranks are lighter and can be used with a Niner frame? They're affordable too.

Mt Zoom seat collar is meant to be the lightest in the world? A very small saving, but still.

You could swap to Hope Ceramic BB, ceramic ball bearings would save you some marginal weight, but it's probably not worth it.

As you say the Niner frame isn't the lightest, a nice frame it is but slightly weighty for carbon. If you're thinking about a change I'd recommend the OPEN 1.0 frame. Less than 900g for a large!

I dread to think how much you've already spent on that dream machine!

Yeah the Clavicula would save a bit but funds are getting pretty tight lol, salo not a fan of them aesthetically. THe X0 made me money, Found them for 125 new and sold the triple rings and spider for 70 and the x-type middleburns for 100 odd so came away with cash lol

I saw the post on those rims and commented the lack of 32h and them only being sold as a wheel set (boooo) you can get the tunes in other hole configurations (I almost got a 28h front but the lead time on the hub was massive)

Ceramic BBS is doable when the current stainless ones die.

The Open fram is very light but aesthetically prefer the A9C (what a rubbish WW I am taking looks into account lol)

I think I am in for about 6200 which makes me feel rather ill lol, I sold my old 26er SS in parts for about 1500 and inherited 5000 so in real terms it was a zero cost purchase but I still cringe a little.

Changing anything now would require massive money to replace already expensive crazy light parts. I do a lot of miles (1000 last month) and really hammer the hills so I am comfortable with the strength of all these parts and the bike feels very rigid when slogging up the hills so don't want to lose that

mtbr member
    Have you tried Ritchey WCS foam grips? They're lighter than the ESI's and cheaper. You can buy then for 6-7 dollars so if you hate them no big deal.

I used to run them on my 26er WW SS and never got on with them and really hated them in the wet, the ESI silicone grips feel really nice.

Thanks for the sugestion

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Awesome looking build! Nice balancing act, and real tires!

Yeah I do a lot of miles and really power up the hils so no weak parts allowed.

I do miss the stronger carcass on the Nobby Nics though, even with SS sidewalls the flint on the trails here eat the RoRo where the lower TPI NN resist cuts on the tread area better

bike rider
    Nice solid build Roy and Purty too!!!
    I got some pretty decent Niners!