mtbr member

14g home made chain guide

Carbon seat clamp, alu bolt, 2 x alu nuts and a modified rear light mounting - under £25:

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Huckin' trails

Nice work !

How stiff it is in case of heavy chainsuck or dropping the chain and back-pedaling ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member

Re: 14g home made chain guide

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Nice work !

How stiff it is in case of heavy chainsuck or dropping the chain and back-pedaling ?
    Seems to work OK. Not dropped a chain yet! Still some further room for adjustment too.

mtbr member
    I really like this. I will be checking my parts bin. Especially timely for me, as I will (hopefully) be putting together an 1 X 10 XTC build this weekend.

mtbr member
    Functional, and stylish!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Nice, I bet you could almost sell these.

mtbr member
    It's something i've been playing around with for a while - i always knew i could use a seat clamp and alu bolt but had to do some trial-and-error with the actual chainguide part. If it starts failing and i can't adjust it and get it to work, i can always buy the actual bit from Superstar Components and modify that to fit.

I sort of based it on the Helium one as i liked the design but i'm not paying what they're charging!

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Nice, I bet you could almost sell these.
    Lol, it's nice work, but it is too butt-ugly to sell to the public. It's good and innovative as a do-it-yourself project though. Nice Job!

mtbr member
    When I go 1x9 I will have to do this.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    Lol, it's nice work, but it is too butt-ugly to sell to the public. It's good and innovative as a do-it-yourself project though. Nice Job!
    To each their own. Looks quite nice on the bike. The actual guide bit is the only bit I'd change aesthetically - carbon clamp and alu bolt/nuts look cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Or you can just get one of the many rings (like Wolftooth) that don't need a chain guide. Hey, you'll save 14g

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Or you can just get one of the many rings (like Wolftooth) that don't need a chain guide. Hey, you'll save 14g
    Would I not require a different rear mech for that? They don't work with non clutch 9 speeds so I'd need new mech, shifter and cassette (chain is already 10spd). Hardly cost effective. I'll stick with the chain guide.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    Would I not require a different rear mech for that? They don't work with non clutch 9 speeds so I'd need new mech, shifter and cassette (chain is already 10spd). Hardly cost effective. I'll stick with the chain guide.

It's just a chain ring so of course it doesn't need a specific derailleur. I guess maybe you meant they don't fully do the job without a non-clutch derailleur?

FWIW I have a Zee mech on my bike, with SRAM 9speed shifters, so you don't necessarily have to go to 10s to use a clutched derailleur. Itt's surprising how much chain noise it eliminates.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    It's just a chain ring so of course it doesn't need a specific derailleur. I guess maybe you meant they don't fully do the job without a non-clutch derailleur?

FWIW I have a Zee mech on my bike, with SRAM 9speed shifters, so you don't necessarily have to go to 10s to use a clutched derailleur. Itt's surprising how much chain noise it eliminates.
    Yeah I meant they're not supposed to eradicate chain drop without a clutched derailleur so wouldn't stop me needing a chain guide.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    To each their own. Looks quite nice on the bike. The actual guide bit is the only bit I'd change aesthetically - carbon clamp and alu bolt/nuts look cool.

I clearly said for a home-made rig it looks fine.
    As an engineer, I'd question it, if I saw it for sale in a package. It looks like a pieced together home-made rig. The exposed hardware by your ankle would be an engineering no-no.
    I'm sure it works just fine. No need to be offended by my comments.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    I clearly said for a home-made rig it looks fine.
    As an engineer, I'd question it, if I saw it for sale in a package. It looks like a pieced together home-made rig. The exposed hardware by your ankle would be an engineering no-no.
    I'm sure it works just fine. No need to be offended by my comments.
    No worries - I wasn't offended. You said it was butt ugly and I was just saying it actually looks OK on the bike.
    I appreciate your feedback.

I'm actually going to refine it and change the guide part. Not 100% sure what for yet but I have a few ideas floating around.

What do you think of the helium one?

mtbr member

Made some changes which have stiffened it up immensely. Have modified the actual guide section. Also decided to remove the logo from the clamp to make it a bit more plain.

Sorry about the crappy pics!

Had a few good rides on it now ad have yet to drop a chain. Once I'm 100% happy with it, I'll tidy it up.

mtbr member
    nice!..... as it happens I've got one of those clamps and a nice light bolt in the spares box... hmm
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    clever! I like the repurposed seat post clamp.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Made some changes which have stiffened it up immensely. Have modified the actual guide section. Also decided to remove the logo from the clamp to make it a bit more plain.

Had a few good rides on it now ad have yet to drop a chain. Once I'm 100% happy with it, I'll tidy it up.

Can you give us some follow up on this chain guide? My experience with similar designs that do not have some method of trapping the chain inside (like a FD cage does) is eventually you WILL drop the chain and it will be impossible to remount it on the chainring without loosening the guide, sliding it away from the chainring. I ended up taking the cage off a FD and mounting it in a similar fashion to what you have done. Yes, ugly but functional and inexpensive...and it will save you the experience of having your chain drop at the worst possible moment in that big race.

I am curious...on the inside of the guide I do not see a nut...how do you keep the guide from slide on the bolt or it that part of the design?

mtbr member
    Still yet to have dropped a chain with it.

You're right though, if it dropped, it'd be a pig to get back on. Luckily though, I've not had that problem yet.

There's a nut on the inside but it's set into the guide so you can't see it in the pics. The two black guides that go either side of the chain are threaded also, which stiffens it all up a bit.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk