a.k.a. MTBMaven

140mm Alligator Wind Cutter Rotor in US

Any one know how to get a 140mm Alligator Wind Cutter Rotor in US? Price Point only 160mm or larger. I contact the US distributer of Alligator and didn't really get anywhere. I thought I would see if anyone here could help. Thanks!
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Any one know how to get a 140mm Alligator Wind Cutter Rotor in US? Price Point only 160mm or larger. I contact the US distributer of Alligator and didn't really get anywhere. I thought I would see if anyone here could help. Thanks!
    since there is no help and no one offering them for quite some time already:
    have a look on ebay (sorry for the spam)

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    They are hard to find, but if you look around they are available. MOD's hat this, but the OP is looking for an item that is difficult to get, so I will point out simply that I got mine here.

BB

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Excellent. I knew you guys would come through. Thanks for your help. Nino you rock!
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    We have them on stock.....

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I ordered one this morning from Nino. Thanks for the office however jmartpr, Nino was just faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think Ashima ARO-08 rotors have pretty much taken over this segment of the market. They're about the same weight and not quite as destructive on pads.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adept1
    I think Ashima ARO-08 rotors have pretty much taken over this segment of the market. They're about the same weight and not quite as destructive on pads.
    Well - the Ashimas have about the same reputation as the Windcutters. There's as much positive as negative to be found in the net on both...BUT the 140 Ashima is much heavier than the 140 Windcutter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 140mm Alligator Wind Cutter Rotor in US-ashima140-67.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    Well - the Ashimas have about the same reputation as the Windcutters. There's as much positive as negative to be found in the net on both...BUT the 140 Ashima is much heavier than the 140 Windcutter.
    Can always count on you for the verified weights! I think that puts the Windcutter slightly under its claimed weight, and the Ashima about 2 grams over.

Do you happen to know if they are the same thickness?
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

Grams Light Bikes
    Hmmm, in regards to Ashima...

Ashima Manufacturers claimed weight:
    140mm 68 grams
    160mm 85 grams
    180mm 112 grams
    203mm 136 grams

Ashima Measured Specs:
    140mm 67.5 grams
    160mm 86.1 grams
    180mm 105.6 grams
    203mm 142.3 grams

Of course like anything there are going to be variations in actual final weights.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Not sure if 7 grams is much heavier.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I wonder which pattern puts less wear on the pads.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2834
    I wonder which pattern puts less wear on the pads.
    Wear is simply not an issue using sintered pads.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    I pointed this out before, but keep in mind Ashima makes the Windcutter. It is an Ashima product.

That being said, I had a great season running the Windcutters 160f/140r on all my bikes. Avid BB7's (and prior version calipers from 2002/3) with the Avid sintered pads. I never thought before that I could get away with such small rotors. However, I am. Mainly due to my terrain being non-mountainous. But I rode them in the mountains for a week as well with no problems.

BB