mtbr member

103mm square taper bottom bracket?

I need a square taper bottom bracket with a 103mm spindle (102mm or 104mm should work fine too). I'm not too concerned about weight, anything under 230g is fine. But I don't want to spend too much money, not more than $50. So Tune, American Classic, Phil Wood and Action Tec are all too expensive. Race Face didn't make anything shorter than 107mm. The closest I can find is a Token on eBay that will be just over $80 shipped. Anyone have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike
    I need a square taper bottom bracket with a 103mm spindle (102mm or 104mm should work fine too). I'm not too concerned about weight, anything under 230g is fine. But I don't want to spend too much money, not more than $50. So Tune, American Classic, Phil Wood and Action Tec are all too expensive. Race Face didn't make anything shorter than 107mm. The closest I can find is a Token on eBay that will be just over $80 shipped. Anyone have any suggestions?
    What kind of cranks use a 103 spindle? Dude i was so tempted to get these just for the cups but eBay is a good source for them and they go for cheap because the rest of us are looking for 107s for our RF cranks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    What kind of cranks use a 103 spindle? Dude i was so tempted to get these just for the cups but eBay is a good source for them and they go for cheap because the rest of us are looking for 107s for our RF cranks.
    It's a regular 104/64 mountain bike crankset, but I'm running it with two rings (44/31) on a cyclocross bike with road hubs (130mm rear spacing). I'm pretty sure I'll get the best chainline with a 103mm spindle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i got a used but still going strong campag chorus bb in 102mm for 40 aussie dollars. maybe have a look for something like that, or an old square dura-ace bb. for both ebay is your best bet

All 26.5" all the time!
    The last generation of square taper DuraAce cranks used a 103mm spindle. Look for a UN91.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti
    i got a used but still going strong campag chorus bb in 102mm for 40 aussie dollars. maybe have a look for something like that, or an old square dura-ace bb. for both ebay is your best bet
    I don't know if Campy square taper BBs are compatible with anything other than Campy cranks but everywhere I have seen them they say that they are only compatible with Campy cranks.

I don't understand what the hangup is with Action-Tek but Cambria Bike has it for $90 in a 107mm length. I have one on my roadie and it's been smooth sailing for me.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Campy BB's only fit campy compatible cranks. The tapers are longer (even though its a 2 degree slope just the same, its a longer slope). As to the original question, I have a few dozen Titanium 103mm spindles left, and lots of cups and lockrings still of the BB's I used to sell, but I've long since run out of bearings (type 6903-2RS). Shoot me a PM if you want. I might also have some NOS Real crankcase CrMo cartridge BB's left in 103mm. I haven't checked the stockpile in awhile as to what lengths I have still.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

banned

Ritchey Ti...

i got a Ritchey Titanium spindle in 103mm lenght from Thomas Frischknecht. he used them when he was still on square BBs which was until about 2 years ago. i use it with my triple-crankset without any problems.

Members who have read this thread: 0