Weight Weenie Shop Owner

06 SRAM X.O MC and ThePost UL2 XS

Just wnated to post some new weights.

I juts recived my 06 SRAM X.0 MC Black Box RD from SRAM .
    Thanks SRAM .
    It's 198g on the scale. I will post a picture later.

This get's me down to 19.42lbs: http://light-bikes.com/bikegallery/B...ing.asp?id=685

I also got for the Roadie an Extralite ThePost UL2 XS 27.2 x 260mm for a weight of 119g.

Now down to 14.49lbs:
    http://light-bikes.com/bikegallery/B...ing.asp?id=852
    Last edited by DIRT BOY; 03-02-2006 at 10:23 AM.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    wow, you really have light weight weenie bikes that are super rideable and still bling! I had always though you would be among the people with like 9 pound unrideable bikes.. hmmm REAL NICE, especially love the fox on the mtb. I too am a weight weenie, but just can't get rid of that fork.
    ---(cheap, light, strong)---
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Thaks, I ride my bikes and MUST have....

a durable and quality ride. Fuuny but I get that all the time. How come you don't have the lighest bike, etc...
    My bikes are pretty light, but can handle everyday riding abuse and more.
    Sure I could go lighter on soem items, but I tried some parts like Full Carbon saddles, but they are just not comfortable for long rides on consecutive days. Or soem parts just look to fragile or just not worth the money IMO.

Also money. To build some of those sub 13lb Roadies and sub 18lbs MTB, you must be willig to drop some serious money.
    With a 1yr old and all the house renovations, this takes up most of my cash. Also the wife would die if I built one right now .
    She needs to lighten here ride first!

Now within the next year, I would like and looking to build one of those "Show" bikes, but still make it pretty rideable, but not an everyday bike.

Goals:

12-13lbs Roadie and a 16-17lb MTB with Disc Brakes. I have some ideas and builds in my mind.
    If and when I do this, I am looking to get help from manufactures in building it with them getting the publicity.

Yep, that FOX is just too good for the trals I ride. A SID just won't hold the FOX's jock strap. At my weight and terrain, It's just not worth it. I am tempted to sacrifice some stiffness to get a SID WC (EMP dreals make it tempting), but I love the FOX. I thought of a Spinner Aires Ti, but I want to see some long term notes on them. I would also like to try one to see how stiff it is. You can't always believe what you hear here and you must ride what works for you.
    If I went away from the FOX, a RS REBA looks like a nice replacement.
    Last edited by DIRT BOY; 03-01-2006 at 08:00 PM.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    kudos to the nice builds. like you, i value weight weenieness but not at the expense of reliability and absurd money. hey, we could use some LightWeight carbon wheels on our roadbikes right?

- Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -

- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Thanks and that's the last thing for the roadie...

Carbon/Aluminum rims:

I am going to have some Tune Mig 66/Mag 180 with Pillar Ti Bladed spokes for a sub 1200g set . I won't go with Tubulars to save weight or full carbon clinchers just yet. The cost is way too high.

Just a matter of time.......
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

mtbr member
    I also ride my bikes - alot actually! About 15 hours a week and I use Tune Speedneedles on my bikes and they work fine! I would say that carbon seat are a matter of taste - just like with other saddles and designs!

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

True, saddles are a personal preference....

but when I ride 3-4 days in a row for 35-50 miles, a carbon saddle just does not do it for me. I am on a saddle for riding or spining classes for 5-6 days a week.

Again, everyone different, but ever notice how many pros are riding heavier more "comfy" saddles? Sure I am not doing 100+ for 2 weeks, but even on the shorter rides and classics, they use more traditional saddles.

For pub and show they use SLR and carbon saddles, but most will end up using heavier saddles for acutal racing.

I am glad you find it comfrotable. I wish I could as I love the look. I also need to find a crabon saddle with a real rounded shape. The only one is the Flite Evolution and I am not spending $375 on a saddle .
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

Its got what plants crave
    It might be getting a bit excessive when you start weighing your bikes to the nearest hundreth of a pound.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    It might be getting a bit excessive when you start weighing your bikes to the nearest hundreth of a pound.
    Righto....but we all have our flaws, right?
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

SRAM rear D shifter cable

Dirtboy,
    Who made that rear D shifter cable you've got for the SRAM medium cage? Does it comes in different colors?

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    but when I ride 3-4 days in a row for 35-50 miles, a carbon saddle just does not do it for me. I am on a saddle for riding or spining classes for 5-6 days a week.

Again, everyone different, but ever notice how many pros are riding heavier more "comfy" saddles? Sure I am not doing 100+ for 2 weeks, but even on the shorter rides and classics, they use more traditional saddles.

For pub and show they use SLR and carbon saddles, but most will end up using heavier saddles for acutal racing.

I am glad you find it comfrotable. I wish I could as I love the look. I also need to find a crabon saddle with a real rounded shape. The only one is the Flite Evolution and I am not spending $375 on a saddle .

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

The cables are CLARK Pre-Lube for the UK....

and only come in the silver. Lighter and better quality than Shimano.
    You can find them on ebay or any shop that can order from J&B Importers can get the also as they are the NA Distributor.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Are they really lighter than Shimano? The figures I saw didn't seem to back that up. How would they compare to the Gore Ultralight I have waiting to go on?

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Lighter and XTR on my scale...

The Shifter cables.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

Faller - Expert Class
    So how's that Gnesis frame been treatin' ya, DirtBoy? Definitely a sweet setup!

I'll be giving you a call in the coming weeks about ordering a wheelset and probably the X10SL gold chain from you.

Take it easy!

2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Really well...

The frame really has a sweet ride. Only downside is the headtube size.
    The rear is compliant and gives a nice ride than my KLEIN.
    prety dman stiff (or stiff enough) and I am happy enough were I might sell off my KLEIN or build it up as a second bike.

Don't bother with wheels right now. There are some real issues that need to be fixed..long story.....
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

sram and the post ul2 xs

hey if you want those cables do a ebay search item # 7224384744 got mine today the guy ships real fast and are they great looking cables

Faller - Expert Class
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    The frame really has a sweet ride. Only downside is the headtube size.
    The rear is compliant and gives a nice ride than my KLEIN.
    prety dman stiff (or stiff enough) and I am happy enough were I might sell off my KLEIN or build it up as a second bike.

Don't bother with wheels right now. There are some real issues that need to be fixed..long story.....
    Great to hear about that frame! That thing is sweet!

Ugh about the wheels! I was gettin' pumped thinkin about ordering them! PM or email me if you want to elaborate cuz that seemed like great price. Was lookin at the Tune disc hubs with the Stan's Olympic (under 347gr) rims, and whichever spokes and nips were the lightest.

Later!
    2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

Members who have read this thread: 0