Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

$900 to ligthen Epic 29er

2013 Carbon comp 29er Large Current weight: 26.48 after going tubeless, adding water bottle cage and Garmin mount.

Plan:
    Crankbrothers Cobalt 11 flat bar 680mm $70 (already purchased)
    Loaded Xlite 90mm stem $65
    ESI Silicone Grips: $15
    Stans ZTR Crest 29er with stans hubs $540
    PG-1070 cassette $80
    Most likely change tires from fasttracks 2.0 to something a little wider so I'll be adding weight back. $100

Does this sound good or is there something else I should look at changing for my money? Main goals are longer endurance races so it needs to be durable and light.

Current specs:
    FACT 9m carbon front triangle, 29 inch geometry, FACT IS construction, gussetless TT (S/M), M5 aluminum chainstays & seatstays, tapered HT, carbon PF30 BB, 142mm dropouts, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 100mm travel
    Fork RockShox Reba RL 29, Solo air spring, alloy tapered crown/steerer, w/Lockout and rebound adj., QR, 100mm travel
    Rear Shock FOX/Specialized remote Mini-Brain w/ AUTOSAG, inertia valve, Brain Fade adjust, 187x47mm
    Shifters Shimano SLX 10-speed, trigger
    Front Derailleur SRAM X7, 10-speed, S3 direct mount for DMD, bottom pull
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT Shadow Plus, 10-speed, SGS long cage
    Brakes Magura MTS, hydralic disc, Hi Friction pad, alloy caliper, Storm SL rotor, 160mm rotor
    Brake Levers Magura MTS, alloy master cyclinder/lever blade, hollow lever pivot, reach adj.
    Cranks Custom SRAM S-1250, 7050 alloy arms, 10-speed XC double, 38/24, PF30 spindle, S: 170mm, Others: 175mm
    Cassette SRAM PG-1030, 10-speed, 11-36
    Bottom Bracket SRAM PF30, OS press-in bearing, sealed cartridge
    Chain KMC X10, nickel plate, reusable Missing Link
    Hubs (f) Specialized Hi Lo disc, OS28 end caps, sealed cartridge bearing, QR, 32h (r) New Specialized Hi Lo disc 142+, 4x-sealed cartridge bearing, 12mm thru-axle, 32h
    Spokes DT Swiss Industry, stainless, 14g
    Rims Roval 29, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h
    Tires (f) S-Works Fast Trak, 2Bliss Ready, 120 TPI, aramid bead, 29x2.0 inch (r) Specialized Fast Trak Control, 2Bliss Ready, 60 TPI, aramid bead, 29x2.0 inch
    Pedals Resin Test Ride Pedals with toe clips, CEN std.
    Headset 1-1/8 and 1-1/2 inch threadless, Campy style upper with 1-1/2 inch lower, cartridge bearings
    Stem Specialized XC, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clamp, 6-degree rise, S: 75mm, M: 90mm, L: 105mm, XL: 105mm
    Handlebars Specialized XC flat, 2014 butted alloy, 680mm wide, 8-degree backsweep, 31.8mm
    Grips Specialized Sip Grip, half-waffle aramid-infused, S/M: Regular, Others: XL thickness
    Saddle Body Geometry Phenom Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm
    Seat Post Specialized 2014 butted alloy, single bolt setback, 30.9mm, 400mm
    Seat Binder Specialized 7050 hard anodized alloy, 36.9mm, single bolt

mtbr member
    good plan. I would suggest replacing the seat post as well.
    I saved over 100g switching from the stock seat post to the KCNC scandium seatpost. You should be able to do so for around $100.
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper 29er FSR

Custom Wheelbuilder
    You could get a lighter build by not going with a stock Stans wheelset. You could lace the Crest rims to Tune hubs and have a much lighter wheelset.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

RIDE...
    Use a romin saddle, very ligth also; use Foam grips, a thopmson seat post is very ligth

official eMpTyBRain
    You can find ZTR Crests for $399 all day long if you shop carefully. That'll save you $100 right there.

Spend that $100 on a Thomson Masterpiece seat post and save a lot of grams right there.

mtbr member
    Where have you seen the ZTR's for $399?

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboyj17 View Post
    Where have you seen the ZTR's for $399?
    MTBR classifieds, eBay, several of the online bike companies. That's what I paid and I am talking about NIB, not used.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Thomson Masterpiece seatpost is great. However
    if you need a 400mm post the Masterpiece doesn't come
    in that length. Be very carefull running a " too short post".

mtbr member
    Change the wheels, adjust the cockpit to fit you and change tires to match your ridIng style. Other then that just ride the bike like it is.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    The Thomson Masterpiece seatpost is great. However
    if you need a 400mm post the Masterpiece doesn't come
    in that length. Be very carefull running a " too short post".
    Great point. However, I ran a Masterpiece in my 2009 Epic alloy and I was actually able to cut some length off of it and still have it more than long enough to go below the "safe insertion depth".

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sweet build

mtbr member
    Went with stock stans hubs and wheels since I didn't have time to get anything else setup before a big race and put on a specialized 2.2 captain front tire . Crank brothers sent me the wrong bar so I'm still waiting on it and I decided to reuse the stock PG-1050 cassette since it was almost new. So with the below changes I've got it down to 25.68lbs

SRAM 1091 chain
    Loaded Xlite 90mm stem
    ESI Silicone Grips
    Stans ZTR Crest 29er with stans hubs

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably leave it the way it is until the start of the next race season and then start looking at new seatpost and cranks to shave a little more off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice.

For me (Spec Camber Elite 29) the biggest bang for the buck items were the wheels, tires, and cassette. Handlebar, seatpost, and pedals were good savings too. After that the cost / gram ratio gets pretty expensive. I've done more but FWIW if I could go back and do it all over again that's where I'd stop.

Dirt Huffer
    Wheels > everything else

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm not trying to threadjack but I would have created a pretty much identical thread. I just bought a 2013 Epic Carbon Comp with 2013 Roval SL wheels. I am running 2.25 Racing Ralphs w/ SS and I don't think I would want to go to a lighter tire as I am really happy with these. I upgraded the bars to Easton EC70 carbon bars and I am going to put on Xpedo pedals at 274 grams and ESI chunkies.

So it looks like the cheapest way to lose weight would be the cassette and seatpost for right now? And maybe upgrade the cranks in a year or so?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Cassette most likely, depending of course on what you have now. Seems even the real nice bikes come with heavy cassettes. XTR within the Shimano range and XG 999 or 1099 for SRAM would be light weight options.

Seatpost, sure. Also consider titanium spindles if they exist for those pedals.

Beyond that I've found that you get exponentially higher dollar amounts for diminishing returns. Even the seatpost and spindles may not be worth it. Everything of course can be made lighter, how much do you want to pay...??? Crank arms, stem, seat, etc. Your dollar / grams saved ratio starts to hurt quickly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    Seems even the real nice bikes come with heavy cassettes.
    Have some empathy for bike manufacturers... If they spec something light, every third customer will complain online about how the teeth wore out too quickly after they ran it for a month without cleaning off the grit and they shifted under extreme loads. Better for them to cut a few dollars and spec something reasonable, then let customers or bike shops swap it out at their own responsibility.

I4NI
    Pretty sure a Fox fork is lighter than the Reba.

Thomson Masterpiece seatpost clamp will shed some if you have the QR
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    The next place that saving weight would make the biggest change is in the cassette but your going to want to go with XX/XTR level to make it worth your time. I just couldn't see getting rid of a brand new cassette so I'm going to wait until its time to get rid of the stock one. The seatpost weighs about 277g so its not a paper weight but I do hate the single bolt design so I'll most likely look to replace it just because of that.

I haven't weighed the cranks but just based on the looks you can probably make a pretty good saving on those. I'm thinking about going with some S-works cranks next year when I feel like dropping cash on new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek View Post
    Pretty sure a Fox fork is lighter than the Reba.

Thomson Masterpiece seatpost clamp will shed some if you have the QR
    At most you could save .2lbs of weight going to a fox float fork but it wouldn't be a very cost effective way of saving weight. The Epics already come with a non QR seatpost clamp so I doubt you can save much on that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    yea, it looks like the 1080 cassette off of ebay will be the best bang for the buck. Looking at the numbers it looks like the only thing left might be to upgrade the seatpost before things start getting crazy expensive with little return. Whenever I get some free time that I'm not riding I plan to some of it down and weigh all the individual parts.

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    At most you could save .2lbs of weight going to a fox float fork but it wouldn't be a very cost effective way of saving weight. The Epics already come with a non QR seatpost clamp so I doubt you can save much on that.
    Agreed
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

vfb
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    The next place that saving weight would make the biggest change is in the cassette but your going to want to go with XX/XTR level to make it worth your time. I just couldn't see getting rid of a brand new cassette so I'm going to wait until its time to get rid of the stock one. The seatpost weighs about 277g so its not a paper weight but I do hate the single bolt design so I'll most likely look to replace it just because of that.

I haven't weighed the cranks but just based on the looks you can probably make a pretty good saving on those. I'm thinking about going with some S-works cranks next year when I feel like dropping cash on new parts.

If you go with s-works crank you wil save 250 g and if you go with sram xo you will save 125 g (actual weights) But the s-works is stiffer than the xo. I have had both on epic s-works 29, right now i have the s-works and the X0 on my training bike. i will see if i can weight my standard crank (the same as on your bike right now) one of the next days

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That cassette you have is heavy.. That's a biggy..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I changed the front skewer on my s-works for one of these:

MT ZOOM QR Ti FRONT Skewer 21g - 14.99 | XC Racer Shop

Marginal gain but the standard one looks cheap so bit of bling as well as weight saving.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I had a set of crest wheels on my 2012 epic carbon. I built up a set of the carbon light-bicycle rims to hope pro 2 hubs and like them much more. Wider and stiffer rim, at the same weight. If you can swing the carbon rims (not much more than the stans) I would certainly go that route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast